Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored a new toy last night. Bear Cat PTO wood chipper (77454). Haven't tried it yet as i have to sort out an iMatch issue and need a new PTO shaft but i had to share. :beer:

DSC02191.jpg DSC02192.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that used or new? Looks new.
Used but, the pulleys still have paint on them. Ive seen more use on a dealers lot! I think i scored on this buy. The seller ended up with it as a package when they got their machine which was bought as a result of a messy divorce (at least that's what i was told). So technically it is 3rd hand now but it just sat around the entire time.

To add on my iMatch issue, this should be an easy one. The top link hook doesn't have enough clearance to engage. I haven't measured if the pins are the correct distance apart but its close if its not. A cutting wheel should take care of that.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice Chipper. I want one! How much are good chippers new. I only have 15 or so acres of trees...... I would like to clean up the mess a bit.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice new toy indeed! I too got a new toy(s) today. A New troy bilt 27 ton log splitter and a new 235 Husqvarna chain saw. These will go along nicely with my Troy Bilt Tomohawk chipper. :D Congrats on the new Bear Cat chipper! That is one nice unit and it looks like you will get a LOT of hours out of that piece of equippment.:cheers::cool:

(with the "cheers" symbol, that isnt beer in the cups, its rootbeer.:D)

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice new toy indeed! I too got a new toy(s) today. A New troy bilt 27 ton log splitter and a new 235 Husqvarna chain saw. These will go along nicely with my Troy Bilt Tomohawk chipper. :D Congrats on the new Bear Cat chipper! That is one nice unit and it looks like you will get a LOT of hours out of that piece of equippment.:cheers::cool:

(with the "cheers" symbol, that isnt beer in the cups, its rootbeer.:D)
Thanks, nice splitter! A log splitter is on my want list but most of my land is pine and i don't burn wood, for heat only outdoor fires so i question if it is worth the investment at this point.

Nice Chipper. I want one! How much are good chippers new. I only have 15 or so acres of trees...... I would like to clean up the mess a bit.....
The Chinese Jimnas can be had for $1800 on CL (importer in my state). Many people like those but they require a little work before they work properly. The one i have is about $2500 new, (i paid $1700 btw). The majority of "good" units tend to be in the $2500-$3500 range and naturally prices jump quickly when you get into hydraulic feed units.

Only 15 acres of trees? i have 1.5 acres of trees. Overkill, maybe but what to do with all the green branches and the free time to burn them was always an issue, thus the chipper

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up for you iMatch users and future searchers. When the area where the top link is cut back to give proper clearance for the hook, all spacing is correct so you can use it with your iMatch very easily. All it took me was 10 minutes with a cutting wheel. Also, these chippers have a 1" shaft with 1/4" key-way for power input.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Nice chipper! I'm used to bigger Vermeer units, but for what you got planned for it, its more then enough, I wouldnt call it overkill!
One question...I'm not familiar with smaller units, but wheres the chute? Is it a ground dump model like the troy-bilt ones at Home Depot?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice chipper! I'm used to bigger Vermeer units, but for what you got planned for it, its more then enough, I wouldnt call it overkill!
One question...I'm not familiar with smaller units, but wheres the chute? Is it a ground dump model like the troy-bilt ones at Home Depot?
The model I have is ground dump but the shoot is available as an option. I want to use the chipper a bit to see if its a long term investment or a stepping stone to another unit but if I keep it i see myself buying the shoot.

Your right, i should have worded my statement differently... To SOME it is overkill, for the shear fact that i have a 3pt chipper as one of the home depot models would likely also "do the job".

Used it last week BTW, works great.. chipped a few pines up to about 2" in diameter, tractor didn't even seem to notice (22 PTO hp).

·
Banned
9 Posts
Used it last week BTW, works great.. chipped a few pines up to about 2" in diameter, tractor didn't even seem to notice (22 PTO hp).
Hearing that, it seems like "self feed" does work as advertised? Not having experience with a self feeder, I've always wondered how self feeders really worked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hearing that, it seems like "self feed" does work as advertised? Not having experience with a self feeder, I've always wondered how self feeders really worked.
Well.. i wouldn't say that the machine sucks everything in. The bigger branches (overall size, not diameter) Required a little motivation to slide down the shoot but IMO that should be expected. Stuffing something 3 feet wide down a 1 1/2 foot shoot is a simple geometry problem. The branches cling on the side and once it looses its bite, it stops pulling. BUT using a stick laying on the ground fixed that problem easily. It is hardly a "chuck and duck" kind of event. I could easily keep my hand on the bigger stuff with minimal violence and didn't fear my poking stick getting sucked out of my hand or thrown back at me.

If i was clearing a Forrest then i would want hydro feed just so you can grab the next branch and walk away. In this case, sometimes i had to use the next branch to keep things going but i am happy with the unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts