Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've owned some Jeeps over the years (a 51 CJ3A, 78 CJ7, and a 95 YJ), but it's been about 12 years since I sold my last one. All that time, I've vowed to get another.
I started the search about a month ago, and was blown away by how prices have jumped, and how high the mileage is on most of them.
Then, I found THE one. 1985 CJ7, 6 cylinder/5 speed, soft top, low miles (108,000), not perfect but in good shape- no rust on the tub or frame. This will be my lifetime Jeep. Glad I found it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
That's pretty! Where did it come out of being in that nice shape with no rust? Southwest?

·
Premium Member
14,372 Posts
Nice looking :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
I like the color combo. In Michigan, it would have rusted away by now.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty! Where did it come out of being in that nice shape with no rust? Southwest?
It's from here, in VA. I only know the life it had with the previous owner. He and his family are big into Jeeps, and he had acquired this one for his wife. Everything else he has is used to wheel and crawl, but this one stayed stock. They put 4000 miles on it over 6 years.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Wow that’s sharp!!! I like :good2::lovetongue:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Very solid!
I always liked the CJ's, I had a 78 CJ5 with 258 six and three speed.
Used to always throw the doors in the back and roll up the soft rear window.
Even tried driving a few times with the front window folded down, nothing else like it on four wheels.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sweet Jeep

A rear Diff upgrade may be in order at some point..iirc that has a model 20 or whatever in the rear.
There fine till there not...may last you forever. Rest of the unit should be GTG .

So..no emission DEQ...type stuff in your State?

In Oregon...I'd have to have a 74 or older (got a 55)...Its a pita trying to find compliant "good" vehicles:banghead:

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Very solid!
I always liked the CJ's, I had a 78 CJ5 with 258 six and three speed.
Used to always throw the doors in the back and roll up the soft rear window.
Even tried driving a few times with the front window folded down, nothing else like it on four wheels.
I had a first year CJ7, 1976, IIRC. 6cyl, 3spd, roll bar and soft top were the only options. I paid $4K OTD.
IIRC you had to remove bolts to fold the windshield. I never had mine down. I ran a lot in the summer with the top and doors off.

1/2 doors were not available back then, like the OP has. Looks like a fun ride!

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I had a first year CJ7, 1976, IIRC. 6cyl, 3spd, roll bar and soft top were the only options. I paid $4K OTD.
IIRC you had to remove bolts to fold the windshield. I never had mine down. I ran a lot in the summer with the top and doors off.

1/2 doors were not available back then, like the OP has. Looks like a fun ride!
My windshield had two large plastic flat knobs with approximately 3/8 bolts fused into them so you could unscrew them without tools.
Very fun vehicle for my 18 year old butt.
Darn cold in the winter though, it was my first 4 wheel drive and I have never been without 4x4 since.:bigthumb:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,696 Posts
Fine Jeep ya got there. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a '77 CJ5 for years. It was a great little ride. Kind of jumpy on the highway with that short wheel base though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a '77 CJ5 for years. It was a great little ride. Kind of jumpy on the highway with that short wheel base though.
Drove a wrangler one time and this was my only reaction. 10 years later I just don’t know why people own them outside of hauling them to go wheeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
My windshield had two large plastic flat knobs with approximately 3/8 bolts fused into them so you could unscrew them without tools.
Very fun vehicle for my 18 year old butt.
Darn cold in the winter though, it was my first 4 wheel drive and I have never been without 4x4 since.:bigthumb:
Hard for me to remember that far back :flag_of_truce:I was thinking it had Torx bolts holding the windshield up :dunno: Mine was bare bones, IIRC bigger 6cyl, roll bar and soft top were only options. Steel wheels and tiny little street tires. It did not even have a rear seat or "chicken bar" on the dash for the passenger. Bare steel floors too. Spare was on mount on the right side of the rear 1/4 panel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts