Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a JD 3025e from a local ag pro dealer. I had them install a WR Long 3rd function kit for the frontier grapple. I'm a little concerned with the location of the quick connect mounting bracket. It seems like a big risk to interfere with material I pick up with the grapple. Here are a few pictures. The log I've picked up would have hit the connections if I had not paid close attention. I'm thinking it was just installed in a poorly chosen location but would love some in put from ya'll.

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_2176.jpeg

·
Administrator
17,084 Posts
Welcome to GTT.
I think that bulkhead plate should have been welded behind the steel tubes to provide adequate clearance, that is a (expensive) accident waiting to happen IMHO.

·
Premium Member
10,692 Posts
The problem seems to be made worse by the use of a multitude of fittings and adapters.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,084 Posts
I only see two "adapters", that I circled, the rest are QD's that couldn't be eliminated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have the WR Long kit on my 3025E and my dealer put it on the far right side of the cross tube (as looking from the tractor seat) and on the back side. It is pretty well protected except when I have forks on and I tilt the load back while the forks are resting on a truck or trailer bed I am removing the load from. Then sometimes I hit the connectors for the hoses going to the bulkhead. It took me a few times but I am pretty decent about not letting that contact the truck or trailer bed. Sometimes it can't be helped but most of the time it can be. Also, I do not recall my bulkhead being welded to the cross tube. I think it's clamped to it. I will have to look at it tomorrow.

Your set up looks like high risk to me, especially if you are getting cut up branches and small trees. I have managed to tear up a few things on my grapple over the past several years because that's the environment grapples live in, its not a gentle tool. I would relocated the bulkhead and definitely reduce the amount of adapters the Kenny D pointed out. I wonder if they charged you for each of those, that stuff adds up in a hurry. :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It looks like some right angle connectors for the lines going to the grapple would help the situation a lot. It isn't just the space required for the connectors, but also the space required for the hoses pointing right at the area of possible interference. They don't make sharp turns.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
I would have mounted the couplers on the boom arm, inside, then longer hoses from the grapple.
That's how they used to do it. Both my 2030/245 loader and 6415/640 loader are like that. Inside of right boom.

Another thing to do is check hose length at full dump and full curl. Your hoses look like they might be short at full dump :dunno:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd have to agree that the mounting location is poor. Both of my tractors have the 3rd function connectors mounted on the inside of the loader frame. The guys that installed these in the center of the loader have no experience dealing with brush!

·
Premium Member
10,692 Posts
I'd have to agree that the mounting location is poor. Both of my tractors have the 3rd function connectors mounted on the inside of the loader frame. The guys that installed these in the center of the loader have no experience dealing with brush!
I wouldn't be too thrilled that they welded it onto that painted cross tube. I would much prefer a bracket with some hose clamps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for all the responses. Should I approach the dealer for a fix? I'm assuming this would be something they should do without charging me. This is my first tractor and i'm ignorant about these things. I was also not very thrilled to see the weld job on the painted surface.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
The least they could have done is ground the edges smooth and then painted it after welding it on that way. I would have crapped seeing that when I picked up my tractor paying to have that done to it!!! They could have drilled a couple holes and tapped them for threads. The plate should have been put on in a way it could be removed later??? Sorry but I won't weld stuff on my new tractor!

·
Registered
589 Posts
The least they could have done is ground the edges smooth and then painted it after welding it on that way. I would have crapped seeing that when I picked up my tractor paying to have that done to it!!! They could have drilled a couple holes and tapped them for threads. The plate should have been put on in a way it could be removed later??? Sorry but I won't weld stuff on my new tractor!
Me too. To the point I'd be talking about a new loader. It would be one thing if they'd done a nice job, maybe welded one small tab on that the larger bracket bolted on to. Then cleaned and painted the the weld up to match. That looks like it not only is a hack job with scrap materials, but also is going to rub on the factory hardlines. I'm an expert on hack jobs from scrap parts, and that is substandard.

I've seen better work done with T fence posts welded together.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
I'll bet JD says NO drilling their loader mast. That said, I drilled mine to mount the third function bracket. IIRC I used steel "rivet nuts" I did not think the metal was thick enough to tap.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
At a minimum I'd have them change the bracket orientation. I ran mine parallel to the cross arm and haven't had any issues.
Good idea!

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Thank you so much for all the responses. Should I approach the dealer for a fix? I'm assuming this would be something they should do without charging me. This is my first tractor and i'm ignorant about these things. I was also not very thrilled to see the weld job on the painted surface.
I would DEFINITELY get the dealer to undo what they did and provide an acceptable solution. I attached the WR Long hydraulic hoses to the loader frame using a bracket from Tractor Supply. Click on the attached link to see the video of how I did mine.... I hope it helps. It looks like they could cut-down the bracket they welded onto the loader frame and bolt the Tractor Supply bracket directly to it so the hoses are parallel to the loader frame and out of harm's way!

Installing WR Long 3rd Function Hydraulics on 2017 John Deere 2038R - YouTube

Sincerely

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I talked to the dealer and they acted surprised that I was concerned. They said they have installed over 15 kits with this configuration and no one has complained. He did say they would fix it and that they could cut the bracket off and grind down the mess and touch it up with paint. He was going to talk to another dealer in a nearby town to see how they install their kits.

Honestly I’d be happy to just have the lines strapped to the bar with tie wraps or a metal strap in a parrallel orientation. I have a good friend who had his installed at a different dealer. Here is is tractor

41E99701-9E5E-445B-8FB9-F0154C71F032.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just received a JD 3025e from a local ag pro dealer. I had them install a WR Long 3rd function kit for the frontier grapple. I'm a little concerned with the location of the quick connect mounting bracket. It seems like a big risk to interfere with material I pick up with the grapple. Here are a few pictures. The log I've picked up would have hit the connections if I had not paid close attention. I'm thinking it was just installed in a poorly chosen location but would love some in put from ya'll.

Back in August I received my 2032R with FEL & Artillian Grapple and 3rd function kit diverter valve & quick connects. As part of my purchase the dealer installed the Artillian grapple & diver kit , etc. See the attached pictures for what my dealer did. It looks like he used some sort of hose clamp type arrangement to clamp the distribution/connecting block to the crossbar on the FEL behind every thing and the hoses have plenty of room to move when using the elbow function. I am not going to go out to the barn tonight to look and see how the diverter valve was mounted to the FEL. Every thing is mounted securely and it it fairly easy to disconnect and reconnect the hose for the grapple. Grapple worked great the few times I have been able to get on the tractor to us it (Shoulder surgery (right arm) & medical limitations with using the right arm. Now good to go, just need some favorable weather (been extremely wet).

Good luck with your dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our connectors are just zipped tied. Here is a video demonstrating our plow but it also shows where the hydraulic hoses/fittings are on the loader arms which we also use with our grapple. I would like to install some sort of plate to mount the fittings to but just have not figured out a good way to do it yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Back in August I received my 2032R with FEL & Artillian Grapple and 3rd function kit diverter valve & quick connects. As part of my purchase the dealer installed the Artillian grapple & diver kit , etc. See the attached pictures for what my dealer did. It looks like he used some sort of hose clamp type arrangement to clamp the distribution/connecting block to the crossbar on the FEL behind every thing and the hoses have plenty of room to move when using the elbow function. I am not going to go out to the barn tonight to look and see how the diverter valve was mounted to the FEL. Every thing is mounted securely and it it fairly easy to disconnect and reconnect the hose for the grapple. Grapple worked great the few times I have been able to get on the tractor to us it (Shoulder surgery (right arm) & medical limitations with using the right arm. Now good to go, just need some favorable weather (been extremely wet).

Good luck with your dealer.
I really like the set up for the distribution/connecting block. Any idea if that is a JD part or another manufacture that the dealer installed? I would love to find something like that for our unit. Right now the hoses are just zipped tied to the front crossbar and it works but is not pretty and there definitely has to be a better set up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts