Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase my first new tractor, a 3039R, from a dealer. The dealer has given me a quote and all the prices in the quote match the prices on the Deere website. When buying cars, there is always negotiating room between the MSRP and what the dealer will sell for, but I don't know how this translates to tractor buying. I am wondering what kind of price negotiation/wiggle room any of you have experienced on quoted prices when buying new? And/or any other thoughts and tips you might have. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
When I bought my 2025R my dealer came in almost 3K less than JD build your own price. Where are you located? I know up here this is one of the best times to buy because they are not moving any or very little inventory and are more willing to be flexible with the price.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
...what kind of price negotiation/wiggle room any of you have experienced...
While I didn't find much wiggle room, when I purchased my tractor my dealer was offering a local promotion (Rodeo Special). You might also see if they work with you local "Farm Bureau" of similar group. I also got a discount for buying multiple implements. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
NEVER pay listed price on tractors, or much of anything else.
I found when I was doing some searching prior to my purchase, that the general take on pricing and discounts was that 10% less was a decent price, 15% was a very good price, and 20% is basically unheard of.
My dealer was very close to 15%.
As Id never met the salesman before, I cant say that the fact that my family has been buying from them since they opened in the 70s had anything to do with it, but I did tell him Id shopped around a bit already and wanted the absolute best price he could give me right off the bat, and didnt want to haggle anything later. He came back with a very good price. Better than both the "Big" dealers in Indiana, including one mentioned here regularly. As a point of clarification, they may have ultimately beaten it had I asked, but I hate that game, so thats why I tell everyone I want the best price the first time. If its not, they wont hear from me again about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
There are dozens of stories about people getting 10%-20% discounts off of the JD "Build Your Own" pricing for 1- and 2-series machines. But I have no idea how that translates to 3-series machines.

In a lot of places 3- and 4-series machines are on 4 to 6 month back orders so dealers may not be willing to haggle much over a machine that they can sell to people willing to wait that kind of time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There are dozens of stories about people getting 10%-20% discounts off of the JD "Build Your Own" pricing for 1- and 2-series machines. But I have no idea how that translates to 3-series machines.

In a lot of places 3- and 4-series machines are on 4 to 6 month back orders so dealers may not be willing to haggle much over a machine that they can sell to people willing to wait that kind of time.
I just bought a 4 series, with FEL, rotary cutter, 3rd SCV, canopy and air ride seat and I paid roughly 10% LESS than the JD price for the tractor and loader on deere.com

I also have the platinum JD thing (military discount) but that was only a few hundred and the JD money for the 4 series was another $1500 and the buy 2 attachments (FEL and rotary cutter) was another $500 off

Basically, after I went thru everything, there is no way I would pay more than 90% of the Deere.com price and you should be able to shop around and probably get 15% fairly easily

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Buy Kennyd’s tractor, that is one smoking hot set up:gizmo:

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
If the tractor is as rare as the OC-4066R, then it will go for list +.

When I purchased my 3039R I paid less than list. How much, I don't know or care.

I went shopping for a 3033R with R1's. Dealer only had 39's & R4's. It took about 3 weeks to get to a final price but we got there.

It sounds like your salesman is not taking you serious. So are you "looking" to buy or are you "going" to buy.

Sit down with him and the quote, let him know you are serious if he wants to be and go from there.

When the dollars are right, Get-R-Done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts