Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New trailer suppose to be here this wk. Very curios to see how this will work out for the 5075 an 12' Rhino shredder. It is expected of me to load, transport, unload, do the job, then do it all over again on a daily basis.....SOLO!. As most of you know, that size of Rhino is not set up on the 3-point hitch. Any short tongue can get away w/the blink of the eye. Unloading is the part that has me concerned.

Their "the company" first attempt was revamping a tandem trailer that was tongued to the Reese. It was my first wk. on the job, so I just set back and watched. It was very apparent to me right out of the gate, this set up would not work. Axle's set to far back on the trailer, putting all the wt. on the dually, nearly lifting the front end. My boss, backing down the outfit, had difficulty w/the shredder tracking straight.

They went ahead and ordered a specialty gooseneck and added air bags to the truck. A month in the works. I believe the new set-up will work if the tandem is set up correctly, I can't see unloading it will get any easier tho.

This being all new to me, is there anyway of locking the sway on the tongue in order of helping it track straight for the short distance? If so, please advise. No one from the company seems to know anything about that.
I'm pretty good at backing short tongues as I been doing it for 25 yrs. w/a bucket truck an chipper. Guess it's the trailer thing that bugs me most.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Drawbar should be pinned so it's not swinging around. Hopefully they got the monster ramps, makes things easier. If you can back the shredder on first, they it'll be a breeze to unload. Also will put the tractor more over the trailer axles.

Brett

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drawbar should be pinned so it's not swinging around. Hopefully they got the monster ramps, makes things easier. If you can back the shredder on first, they it'll be a breeze to unload. Also will put the tractor more over the trailer axles.

Brett
Being custom built for this unit alone, I'd like to think the axles would be set a bit more forward to adjust for the weight. I "really really" don't want to back up the length of the trailer. Will post pics. once the trailer comes in...They asked if I had a CDL, I politly responded, I probably wouldn't have applied for this job if I did. They wanted to buy a tri-axle. You need a CDL to drag a tri-axle in TX.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Here's my setup. It's backed on now. The weight is in the tractor, not the shredder. I like my weight over the trailer axles and not on the truck. The 5075e is lighter than my tractor by a bit but they are still heavy. I think my ballasted 5055e can was around 10k with a loader.

In the picture, I'm weighting in around 35-37k lbs. I'll be surprised if you can keep it under 26,001 lbs. If they don't want you to get your cdl, they need to be ready to pay the fines and also have someone on call to get the trailer of you get shut down by the weights and measures guys.

Brett

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rig Weight

Rusty - It would be interesting to find out what that weights..... Before they let the Government Find Out!
Leo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up trailer yesterday. I seen nothing special about it myself. It does have a dove tail w/a wide ramp. High profile wheels, sets to high in my opinion. Was hoping for the lower profile dually wheels/axles. Axles, appear to be the standard set-up. Again to far back for my liking. Oh well, what do I know, I'm just the driver/operator. Will get the complete unit weighed, once everything is on the same location. I think I'll be under, but want to know for sure.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Rusty - It would be interesting to find out what that weights..... Before they let the Government Find Out!
Leo
For sure. Called my buddy with Texas dps commercial vehicle enforcement and wanted to make sure I was in the clear. He said as long as I was under 48k and doing my own stuff I was good as I am. Truck and trailer can gross 44k so I should be pretty safe!

Still going to hit the scales though

Brett

·
Registered
515 Posts
Picked up trailer yesterday. I seen nothing special about it myself. It does have a dove tail w/a wide ramp. High profile wheels, sets to high in my opinion. Was hoping for the lower profile dually wheels/axles. Axles, appear to be the standard set-up. Again to far back for my liking. Oh well, what do I know, I'm just the driver/operator. Will get the complete unit weighed, once everything is on the same location. I think I'll be under, but want to know for sure.
Be sure to post pics when you get it all together.

Brett

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Here's my setup. It's backed on now. The weight is in the tractor, not the shredder. I like my weight over the trailer axles and not on the truck. The 5075e is lighter than my tractor by a bit but they are still heavy. I think my ballasted 5055e can was around 10k with a loader.

In the picture, I'm weighting in around 35-37k lbs. I'll be surprised if you can keep it under 26,001 lbs. If they don't want you to get your cdl, they need to be ready to pay the fines and also have someone on call to get the trailer of you get shut down by the weights and measures guys.

Brett

How is that config getting up to 35-37k? Tractor around 10k, truck maybe 10k, 5k(?) for trailer, plus a big mower. My rough adding says mid-to-upper 20's. And doesn't an F350 max out around 26k for total trailer weight? Purely just curious...

Rob

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That trailer is probably 7k plus empty. My 22' gooseneck is over 4K.
OK. Even so, still not getting the numbers to add up. Something else I'm missing?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Those tandem duallies are heavy. My 31ft weighs 7300# empty.

Sent from my Samsung Note

·
Registered
515 Posts
How is that config getting up to 35-37k? Tractor around 10k, truck maybe 10k, 5k(?) for trailer, plus a big mower. My rough adding says mid-to-upper 20's. And doesn't an F350 max out around 26k for total trailer weight? Purely just curious...

Rob
Truck is 10k full slip tank with 100 gallons of fuel
Trailer is 10k per manufacturer. Tandem 15k axles with elec/hyd disc brakes. 35+5 plus tools and chains/binders
29 cfm compressor on neck of trailer
Tractor is 12k with loader and loaded tires. (Old 5055e was 10k and was much smaller)
Shredder is 5k

Truck is rated to pull 32,500 lbs. 2017 F450, 2016 Texas pride 30k trailer. Legal on weights to 44k

Brett

·
Registered
515 Posts
That trailer is probably 7k plus empty. My 22' gooseneck is over 4K.
Those tandem duallies are heavy. My 31ft weighs 7300# empty.

Sent from my Samsung Note
The tandem dual trailers get heavy quick. Bigger you get the torque tube and under bridge framing adds up. With this size, the frame Ibeam is huge. This is physically a monster trailer. Everything is stout on it.

Brett

·
Registered
515 Posts
Here's a size compassion for the tractor. It's much larger than it looks

Brett

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Truck is 10k full slip tank with 100 gallons of fuel
Trailer is 10k per manufacturer. Tandem 15k axles with elec/hyd disc brakes. 35+5 plus tools and chains/binders
29 cfm compressor on neck of trailer
Tractor is 12k with loader and loaded tires. (Old 5055e was 10k and was much smaller)
Shredder is 5k

Truck is rated to pull 32,500 lbs. 2017 F450, 2016 Texas pride 30k trailer. Legal on weights to 44k

Brett
Thanks for explaining. Didn't realize a trailer like that gets the heavy empty and I thought it was said above the tractor was 10k. Also figured even a big brush mower wouldn't be more than a ton or so. Also thought the truck said F350 when I zoomed in on the pic. Makes sense now. :)

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tandem dual trailers get heavy quick. Bigger you get the torque tube and under bridge framing adds up. With this size, the frame Ibeam is huge. This is physically a monster trailer. Everything is stout on it.

Brett
What is the deck height on your dually/tandem? Just curios....

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
What is the deck height on your dually/tandem? Just curios....
I'll have to measure it when I get home tomorrow. It's a pierced frame so lower than my previous deckover.

thats a pretty big tractor. How do you reach the pedals?:lolol:
Haha. Just use the hand controls! He's my helper for sure though. He can operate the loader or remotes when I need an extra hand

Brett

1 - 20 of 21 Posts