Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Tacoma , Colorado ,Dakota ? What is consensus here ? I do know where there is a white Ford , sitting and the add says ran till parked ! Seriously , what would you look at ? Kevin .

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
What are your needs and wants? You haven’t given us much to go off of yet.

Maybe you need a diesel 10x10 with a huge lift and to be able to tow 3 million pounds at 258 mph?

Maybe you need a base model compact with a 4 banger? :unknown:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Looking at Tacoma , Colorado ,Dakota ? What is consensus here ? I do know where there is a white Ford , sitting and the add says ran till parked ! Seriously , what would you look at ? Kevin .
I went through this decision 2 years ago. I wanted a truck, but didn’t want a full size for many reasons: parking around town, parking in my garage, nicer to drive. I ended up with the Tacoma, and it’s been good so far. Toyotas have been pretty reliable in my experience, I’ve seen/had many issues with GM/Dodge trucks over the years. The Tacoma is a pretty basic truck, so if you want something to rival a typical car/SUV in luxury maybe the Colorado or Dakota might be better. The full size trucks definitely are more luxurious. The other issue is all 3 of these are more expensive then going with a full-size. I do use my Tacoma reasonably hard, but the majority of the use is using the bed, not towing things. I’ve towed a flatbed with my 2038r on it at a total of ~8000lbs and it will do it, but it’s straining it’s guts out. Yes I know it’s rated towing capacity is 7k, so I don’t do that often. Maybe 20 miles once a year or so. If you plan to tow > 3000 lbs on a semi regular basis, I’d consider either a diesel Colorado (I think that it’s out now), or go with a full-size. I’ve regularly filled the bed (I have the long bed) piled high with oak, or concrete chunks and it’s taken everything I can throw at it without issues. The weakest part of any Toyota is the entertainment display. They really are like 10 years behind everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honda! Honda! Honda!

The Ridgeline will do better in the snow. And is more fun to drive all the way around. It has the same towing capacity as the others. (in less you put a diesel in one or something like that) I over load mine all the time. You can't tear it up. Ask tractor time with Tim he will tell you. KIMG1430.JPG KIMG1431.JPG KIMG0941.jpg CIMG6889.JPG KIMG0132.JPG KIMG0199.JPG View attachment IMG_3679.JPG

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don’t think Ram makes the Dakota any longer . I have a Colorado, I will never buy another one . It’s unlikely I’ll ever buy another gm product. It’s an 05 and the frame has rust holes in it, I probably shouldn’t be driving it. But I’m going to run it till it breaks in half. I only have 106,000 miles on it. It only gets 14 - 17 mpg. My 2016 f250 gets 12 - 14 with a light load.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
There is good and bad in every brand! I wouldn't know what to tell you to look at.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
I wouldn't question the Ridgeline, but that trailer though, :hide:
Agreed - but did get to wondering how one would go about putting a brake controller in one of those Hondas....

Edit to add - so as not to be speaking out of turn I looked it up - and yes, there are brake controllers for them.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Agreed - but did get to wondering how one would go about putting a brake controller in one of those Hondas....

Edit to add - so as not to be speaking out of turn I looked it up - and yes, there are brake controllers for them.
coaltrain:lol: u need to start watching tractor time with tim---he did a video of just that--adding a brake controller to his ridgeline.:mocking:

·
Registered
98 Posts
They are prewired for it. Along with a oil cooler for the transmission. They are ready to do some towing. There is a form call Honda's can tow or something like that and they are pulling 28' camper's to Alaska.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Ridgeline will do better in the snow. And is more fun to drive all the way around. It has the same towing capacity as the others. (in less you put a diesel in one or something like that) I over load mine all the time. You can't tear it up. Ask tractor time with Tim he will tell you. View attachment 660314 View attachment 660318 View attachment 660320 View attachment 660322 View attachment 660324 View attachment 660328 View attachment 660330
I thought he was looking for a truck. Doesnt the ridgeline use the same chassis as the oddessy minivan? Jk

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
The second generation Ridgeline's are more conventional with separate cabs and boxes, which tells me they are body on frame construction instead of unibody like the first generation models were.

It sounds like the OP is looking for a used truck since he mentioned Dakota's.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
If I was looking for a small truck it’d be between ford and Toyota. I haven’t seen the new rangers yet. The Tacoma keeps getting bigger. But at least Toyota seems to stand behind their products. My Colorado will likely get replaced with a regular cab 1/2 ton. Probably a f150 xlt fx4 with the 2.7 eb.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I just can’t get past my own thoughts of Honda = car.
This9^^^^^^ and it quite possibly could be the ugliest truck thingy I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
The Ridgeline will do better in the snow. And is more fun to drive all the way around. It has the same towing capacity as the others. (in less you put a diesel in one or something like that) I over load mine all the time. You can't tear it up. Ask tractor time with Tim he will tell you.
I like all of your pictures. Am a bit surprised what that can tow. The very last picture, it looks as though that little red trailer is bowing down at both ends. THAT is TRUELY overloaded!!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts