Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer my daughter had to have her dresssage horse put down. :(

Well, she could not stay away from horses. Over the winter she leased to ride one.

Now she bought an ex race horse that was retrained for dressage after retirement from racing.

She picks him up Friday.

All I know so far; he is 11 years old, 16 hands, black, male, won $15K :gizmo: at Belmont.

Pictures to follow.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts
Interesting transition.

My daughter works at a dressage barn, but she has quarter horses.

All the dressage horses are warmbloods. Big horses too, I think the short one is 16+ hands. It’s ok to watch, but I’d rather watch/ride western.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I think horses, I too, think western. She did dressage in 4H, first I heard of it.

When she went to college, her roommate wanted to try out for the Equestrian Team. They have both Western and Dressage. She had decided not to try out, not enough time for both the team and her education.

Her roommate convinced her to go along to the Western tryouts.

When she got there, her roommate signed up to try out. They wanted her to try out too. She finally agreed, thinking it would be a fun horse ride. They used the College's horses, picked by lottery. She noticed team members snickering when she got her horse assigned.

She did not get any time on the horse before her try out. So she watched as other "try outs" rode it before her. She later said it was a "Witch of horse"

Her roommate got a much better, easier to ride horse.

Later (next week) she was asked to join the team, her roommate was not asked.

When she got her first horse, she said she would qualify for the State 4H Horse Show and win first place. She rode almost every day and trained very hard. She DID win first place at the State 4H Horse Show. :good2:

I am sure this was why she was able to try out on an unknown, difficult horse, and make the team.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
:munch::munch:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I think it is very exciting! I too look forward to seeing those pictures! :munch: We're gonna all gain 10 pounds, eating popcorn, waiting for Friday. :laugh: :munch:

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is very exciting! I too look forward to seeing those pictures! :munch: We're gonna all gain 10 pounds, eating popcorn, waiting for Friday. :laugh: :munch:
Remember it's mostly air you are eating :mocking: When I was your age, I could all the popcorn I wanted and not gain any weight :mocking:

I hope picture(s) will be delivered Friday. She sold her horse trailer after her horse was put down. (I thought she was done with horses) So, she has to borrow a trailer, and the owner is showing Saturday, so she has to return the trailer Friday. :flag_of_truce::hi:

She also has to borrow truck, mine is "backup", if her boyfriend's Dad's truck can't be used Friday. :pickup:

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres two pictures

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another If you look at the small sign to the right you can see his name was "What's the Record" and below that it says "Boyd"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Last picture she sent was from one of his races, He got 15K of the purse.
Is the 6 furlong time "fast"?
Looks like all four feet are off the ground?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures posted. If you gain 10 pounds it's NOT on me :mocking:

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is some more from my daughter about Boyd:

"Storm Cat" is his great grandfather :good2:

"Secretariat" is his great, great, great, grandfather :yahoo:

I don't know if he fathered any offspring :dunno:

16.3 hands (I do not know where this falls on sizes of horses) her last horse was 15.2 hands.

All black with no white.

11 years old

A bone chip of the knee retired him from racing. I don't know how long or how many races. His knee now has screws in it.

Total earnings were 110K :gizmo:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,789 Posts
Last picture she sent was from one of his races, He got 15K of the purse.
Is the 6 furlong time "fast"?
Looks like all four feet are off the ground?
In/during a Gallop.
I believe all four are off the ground at some point during a trotting gait also.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
I have to believe that, for as smart as animals are, retired racing horses are just as grateful to have a loving home as retired racing greyhounds are. This guy is fortunate to have your daughter to care for him. (She's pretty lucky to have him also)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
All the dressage horses are warmbloods. Big horses too, I think the short one is 16+ hands. It’s ok to watch, but I’d rather watch/ride western.
hmmm, I NEVER would have guessed that from looking at your avatar, Zach! :laugh: :bigthumb:

I don't know anything about horses, but that is a beautiful animal!! And, I have to agree with Don - that horse knows that he's lucky to have someone to care for him like your daughter is going to care for him. Pretty awesome story, Zach!!

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
hmmm, I NEVER would have guessed that from looking at your avatar, Zach! :laugh: :bigthumb:

I don't know anything about horses, but that is a beautiful animal!! And, I have to agree with Don - that horse knows that he's lucky to have someone to care for him like your daughter is going to care for him. Pretty awesome story, Zach!!
We have had six retired racing greyhounds. Every one of them actually acted like they appreciated the life they had with us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts