Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Net books which run Windows XP. I have been running into various issues where video drivers and other things in some instances are no longer supported and will not work on the Internet Explorer. I downloaded Google Chrome browser and holy cow, it works terribly with the XP.

It constantly won't load or find pages and it is slower than Internet explorer. Does anyone else use the Chrome as your web browser with XP? How about other browser options like FireFox, etc.?

I have other computers which run windows 7 but they are not physically where it is easiest for me to be on the forums in the night time. I HATE Windows 8 point whatever and want no part off that or anything newer than 7.

Just wondering if there are others who run Chrome with XP and if you have had any issues with frozen pages and stuff not downloading? Also interested in other web browsers such as Firefox, etc. running with Windows XP.

Thanks for your input. By the way, I typed this entire posting in Chrome and it froze up and dumped me out so I fired up the old Internet Explorer and here I am......Just love doing things twice.:banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Although I am a fan of Android(Google) phones, I hate Chrome. I have found a number of instances where removal of Chrome made the PC run much faster. Plus I just hate the interface. I use Firefox exclusively and it runs fine on XP.

Windows 7 is the best, by far, however, I can make Windows 8 look and act like Windows 7, if that becomes necessary to you. Just let me know.

Dave

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
used to.. but never had that happen.

that was the best computer i ever had :cray:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although I am a fan of Android(Google) phones, I hate Chrome. I have found a number of instances where removal of Chrome made the PC run much faster. Plus I just hate the interface. I use Firefox exclusively and it runs fine on XP.

Windows 7 is the best, by far, however, I can make Windows 8 look and act like Windows 7, if that becomes necessary to you. Just let me know.

Dave
Well, I have been away dumping the Chrome back into the garbage bin. Rebooted my computer and it runs MUCH, MUCH better, actually like it did before. That experiment turned into a nightmare real quick. So much for Google's flawless reputation.......

Thank you very much for your posting. I will be switching to FireFox soon but I have had enough computer fun for today......The occasional issues I have been running into with Explorer are nothing compared to the instant mess that Chrome made of my little NetBook.

Thanks again.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I have signed into GTT so many times this afternoon that the Moderators must think I have lost my mind. I haven't ever signed in this many times in what was supposed to be one session.

Not to mention I typed 4 other responses which were lost when I selected the review posting button. It threw me to the curb and for some odd reason, kept taking me to an Xfinity Comcast sign in page, with whom I have never had an account and I don't even have a wireless system enabled in my home for reasons which are too long to get into here.....:dunno:

Oh well, back to what has been working just fine....

Thanks again for the responses.

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Tried Chrome for maybe 2hrs it might have only been 15 mins ,,hated it completely .. :smash: :smash:
Needless to say like you,, it was removed and much happier.:bigthumb:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I have signed into GTT so many times this afternoon that the Moderators must think I have lost my mind. I haven't ever signed in this many times in what was supposed to be one session.

Not to mention I typed 4 other responses which were lost when I selected the review posting button. It threw me to the curb and for some odd reason, kept taking me to an Xfinity Comcast sign in page, with whom I have never had an account and I don't even have a wireless system enabled in my home for reasons which are too long to get into here.....:dunno:

Oh well, back to what has been working just fine....

Thanks again for the responses.
You may notice that sometimes when typing a post, it will show, "Auto-saved" in the lower right hand corner. It does this automatically, with no help from you. But it can be very helpful, when you have typed a long post, and get booted. When you get back in, go back to the thread you were typing for, then hit reply. Under the area you type in, it will show something to the effect of "restore". If you click on that, it will recover what you had, that was auto-saved. Want to guess how I learned that? :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
You can also click on "remember me" on the login area. This will prevent you from being kicked off so often. Honestly, you're not being kicked off anyway. If the GTT server doesn't see any activity (request for info like clicking on a button that takes you to another part of the site) after a while it assumes you've left. But clicking on "restore auto-saved content" on the bottom of the editor window like FG mentioned has saved my posts quite a few times. :good2:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Interesting, that "chrome thing"! I experimented E-paying one (1) bill using my bank. Made the one payment and got an Email from the bank wanting me to "upgrade" browser to Chrome, Carmen or FoxyLoxy or something else... (They think I'm 15yo and can "change stuff"!)I canned that Epay account and stayed with IE. When I must go I'll go kickin' 'n screamin' to (shudder) "something new" when it becomes absolutely necessary...:laugh:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I run Chrome on my Windows 7 platform and only use it for the free spreadsheet, word document features.

I bought this new PC last year and it came with Windows 7 but none of the Excel, Word, etc beyond the free trial. After the free trial there was no way for me to access my documents for editing or printing. I couldn't transfer my old Microsoft Office products since those were licensed thru my old job I retired from. With Google Chrome I can access them, edit them and print if needed.

I like it for that, don't use it for Web browsing and haven't noticed any difference in computer performance.

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
I run Chrome on my Windows 7 platform and only use it for the free spreadsheet, word document features.

I bought this new PC last year and it came with Windows 7 but none of the Excel, Word, etc beyond the free trial. After the free trial there was no way for me to access my documents for editing or printing. I couldn't transfer my old Microsoft Office products since those were licensed thru my old job I retired from. With Google Chrome I can access them, edit them and print if needed.

I like it for that, don't use it for Web browsing and haven't noticed any difference in computer performance.
I have been using Open Office for the past year or so after similar thing happened and I couldn't use MSO anymore, it works quite well and the interface is very similar to MSO so there is not a big leaning curve.

·
8,558 Posts
X2 on Open Office!! And it is FREE!!! :good2:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I hate open office. I build complex worksheets / books and more often than not open office will not keep all formatting and formulas. When you have a couple hundred people using the spreadsheet and then someone decides to use open office it reeks havoc.

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
Guess I am not the norm here - been using Chrome for years now on Widows 7 and love it - fastest browser I've ever used. And my password manager LastPass integrates perfectly with it. Also been using Chrome on my iPad which works well since it carries my bookmarks etc. over.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess I am not the norm here - been using Chrome for years now on Widows 7 and love it - fastest browser I've ever used. And my password manager LastPass integrates perfectly with it. Also been using Chrome on my iPad which works well since it carries my bookmarks etc. over.
The issue clearly is that Chrome and XP don't mesh well, despite what Chrome states. Having just had this experience 24 hrs ago, I have talked with numerous people who have indicated that XP and the Chrome browser are not foolproof.

Windows 7 and Chrome seem to be very compatible and don't have the issues which Chrome and xp certainly do. On the other hand, the only reason I am having issues with Internet Explorer in the XP systems is because many of the new video drivers won't recognize or work with the xp platform.

The one thing which many in the computer industry don't seem to fully understand is that there are some of us who won't toss aside something which we are familiar with and that works relatively well. There are many who always have to have the latest and greatest so good for them, but to me, replacing something which is functioning well just because something new is available is wasteful.

I have three or four flatscreen T.V.'s in my home but I also have probably a ten or so of the "old" TV's, you know the big ones with the deep chassis. I will replace and upgrade when needed, not simply because new is available.

Perhaps that also explains how I have been married 32 years this fall. While something new and shiny holds one's interest for awhile, staying with what you know you can count on and what won't disappoint you and with whom you share an unconditional bond and to whom you made a promise you take very seriously, is appealing to some of us. :bigthumb:

To each their own, that's just one more thing which makes America great.

·
8,558 Posts
So when someone hacks into your system, (and they will eventually), they can get all of your passwords too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So when someone hacks into your system, (and they will eventually), they can get all of your passwords too.
I too use Lastpass, and it has a very good security model. Everything is easy encrypted locally. The small risk of having your machine compromised and loosing your passwords is much less that issuing the same password for each site and risk that password getting loose because of some incompetent sys admin. Lastpass works just fine with most browsers, including IE and Chrome.

Actually still running XP with IE is also a bigger security risk. XP is no longer receiving updates unless you are a corporation paying for support. And while the later versions of IE (10 or 11) aren't too bad, IE is broadly considered the least secure browser. If you are on an older version then it is badly compromised from a security perspective.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts