Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a trailer that I can use with my quad, but also tractor. As a result, it couldn't be too big and I did not want one too small. I needed something that could handle a bit more speed with the quad which is a limitation for so many of the products available. I found a John Deere 21 Steel Utility cart on Craigslist which was new in the box from 2014. Luckily the individual needed it gone quickly :good2: So far so good. Took it into the woods for a trail clean up project this weekend.

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I like it!

:good2::good2::good2:

·
Premium Member
15,075 Posts
Looks like a nice find. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Aww mannn, I didn't know they made a 21, I bought an 18 using some of my discount money. If I ever get off my lazy butt I'm going to build up the sides maybe 15 inches. Can't decide if I want to use wood or small angle iron with perforated metal screen.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff, the sides on this are not real tall either. We have a JD 80 trailer and we made an insert to build the sides up on that. I will do the same here for somethings. The 18 is really nice as well. My last trailer was from Family Farm. It was a Rigid 17 cu ft. I did not look at the floor model closely, but when I put it together I noticed the sticker saying not to exceed 5 mph. Ha ha. What a mistake. The quad made short work of that trailer. The bearing gave out really fast. My mistake for not returning it immediately. Live and learn. Greg

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Nice find you don't see to many of them around.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Gebada22,

Great find.:good2: These Deere tow behinds don't come up for sale very often and I watch Craigslist and other "local sources" pretty closely for Deere equipment.

I have a John Deere tow behind trailer like that one which I have had since i bought my tractor new, 20 years ago. If I recall, I think it is a Model 10, but I am not sure. Clearly, it was one of the very best accessories I purchased with the tractor new.

It is so handy and I can't imagine how I would have gotten along without it over the years. I have put that poor little trailer through WAY MORE than it ever was intended to be used for and it remains 100% functional to this day. Needless to say, it has lost it's "new luster" and has many battle scars from use, but it is every bit as handy and valuable as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
question -this cart/deere trailer is noisy ? 5-6 years ago i had one home depot type that had no suspension very noisy and poor tire load/hubs -i give it away That is now i use a regular 5x8 trailer /snowbear it has removable sides and big 205/70/14 tires but would be nice to have a smaller one

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
question -this cart/deere trailer is noisy ? 5-6 years ago i had one home depot type that had no suspension very noisy and poor tire load/hubs -i give it away
I have owned the 13 in the past and own an 18 now. The weight capacity of my 18 is 1000 lb. There is no suspension but most of the noise comes from the loose pin type hitch on the tongue. I been thinking of bolting on a ball receiver since I have been pulling mine with my I match and a 2 inch receiver anyway. I am going to build up the sides for leaves and branches. I like these metal carts better for the smooth bottoms with radiused corners, they dump very clean. Pulling with the I match is way better than off the draw bar area, you can back into sharper turns without hitting the cart with a tractor wheel and you can adjust the tongue height as you crawl over ditches or rises that would normally scalp the front or rear of the trailer.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Danmorea, the Rigid cart was so loud it drove me crazy. Noise came in three areas, the lift gate bouncing, the dump latch was not snug and the hitch area. So far so good on this one.

Jeff, I have thought about using a traditional ball set up, but I might try the pin first. I have a ball on our JD 80. That cart has earned a break so this one will get broken in quickly.

Reactions: Jeff B and BigJim55
1 - 12 of 12 Posts