Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I'll say that's some wet snow, looks like mashed potatoes coming out of that chute.:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
I just got in from clearing my driveway as well as a couple of the neighbors. We got about 16" but it was pretty light stuff. Wind blown with some ~24" drifts in the low area. Only about 6-8" at the top of the hill where the wind is whipping across the apple orchard.

It's really howling out there now though. -20˚ wind chill tomorrow during the day and as low as -35˚ predicted for Saturday. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,211 Posts
I just got in from clearing my driveway as well as a couple of the neighbors. We got about 16" but it was pretty light stuff. Wind blown with some ~24" drifts in the low area. Only about 6-8" at the top of the hill where the wind is whipping across the apple orchard.

It's really howling out there now though. -20˚ wind chill tomorrow during the day and as low as -35˚ predicted for Saturday. :banghead:
Got about the same just down the road from you but its kinda hard to tell what was actual snowfall and what is just drifting. I was out earlier with the SB1164 running and that thing just spit out snow piles like it was nothing. Turned on the rear PTO, brought it up to WOT, slid it into low range and stomped on the "go backwards" pedal and it just ate snow and dumped it in a very pretty row about 30' away from the driveway.

I gotta go out there in the morning to clean up before everyone else goes to work though. Not looking forward to that after temps drop all night. Can I borrow your cab? :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
Got about the same just down the road from you but its kinda hard to tell what was actual snowfall and what is just drifting. I was out earlier with the SB1164 running and that thing just spit out snow piles like it was nothing. Turned on the rear PTO, brought it up to WOT, slid it into low range and stomped on the "go backwards" pedal and it just ate snow and dumped it in a very pretty row about 30' away from the driveway.

I gotta go out there in the morning to clean up before everyone else goes to work though. Not looking forward to that after temps drop all night. Can I borrow your cab? :laugh:

The wind is still howling and whipping around here this AM. Looking out the window I can see the wind blown snow has filled in part of the driveway near the top of the hill. I'll go out shortly and clear it before the temps start dropping. The deep freeze is on the way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Must be nice to have a snowblower, I ordered one in November, still waiting for it! Are you happy with the 47" or wish you would have got the 54"?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got a 1023e and just south of Bangor Maine. We got about 14" of wind blown snow. The 47" thrower ate it like the cookie monster in a box of thin mints.
This is the first winters start with my Deere. Love it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Must be nice to have a snowblower, I ordered one in November, still waiting for it! Are you happy with the 47" or wish you would have got the 54"?
That stinks about the delay, sorry to hear you are waiting. I really do like the 47". From what I read the 54 could be a little underpowered but I suppose that's subjective. For me I use mine on over 1000' of driveway along with a large open area at the bottom and it does a very good job and never seems to run out of power.

Contrary to many others I have never run chains, weight in the back or anything else. Not trying to be a "rebel" but I didn't have those things my first year and my machine never missed a beat. My drive is super steep also, so at this point unless something changes I have no plans to add them.

When you do finally get yours I think you will be very happy.

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
I'm happy with the 47SB.This is the third rig I've had it installed on. No problems. I don't need anything wider and usually overlap passes anyway. The narrower width makes the starting pass easier as well.

I like the fact that the 47SB has the additional heavy side reinforcement plates that are not included with the 54SB. I upgraded it with a steel fan a few years ago and it throws snow 40-50 feet. Hasn't plugged up with wet snow or slush since replacing the plastic fan.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm happy with the 47SB.This is the third rig I've had it installed on. No problems. I don't need anything wider and usually overlap passes anyway. The narrower width makes the starting pass easier as well.

I like the fact that the 47SB has the additional heavy side reinforcement plates that are not included with the 54SB. I upgraded it with a steel fan a few years ago and it throws snow 40-50 feet. Hasn't plugged up with wet snow or slush since replacing the plastic fan.
I would like to do that with the steel fan. I think that sounds really great.

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
Yup. Cab.........with heat. :yahoo:
Lucky you and don’t be wining about too much clearing snow in a t-shirt why that would be more than I could bare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Crazy how wet your snow was. I got about a foot of powder out of that storm just north in NH. I have the 54" and I don't see how it could be called under powered. I took drifts that went over the housing at rpm lower than PTO mark without bogging. It does a great job. I don't run chains or weight either. The back wheels feel a little light and I plan to make a 3 pt plow from an atv plow for next winter which should help weigh it down.

Shout out to Mainetractorboy! I grew up in southern Maine and went to college in Bangor. I'm a true Moxie drinker like when it wasn't full of sugar thanks to coke. I liked Bangor but it was just too secluded for me. Maine's taxes ran business and me right out of the state.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts