Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like any input you all have about recommendations for a new weed eater. I had a craftsman 4 stroke that never ran right from the day it was unboxed, I finally got fed up with it and tossed it. (and I mean that in the most literal way possible). Im looking to go for something commercial this time around.

The two front runners currently are the Husqvarna 525 lk or the Echo srm-2620t.

Looking to spend less than 450 or so. Would be nice if the head is detachable to switch out for edger, brush cutter, etc but not a must. Must be gas, and can be either 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

What do you all have or recommend?

I appreciate all the help, Id really like to avoid getting another dud like the last one

Reactions: jdforever

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Echo used to be top of the line until they started selling them in big box stores. Not just my opinion but of many of the lawn professionals Ive spoken with as to why they no longer use that brand.

I cant speak for Husqvarna as they are not sold around where I live unless you go out searching for them.

Having said that, you will not find many lawn people around here that arent outfitted with Stihls as their go-to weed whacker.....myself included. Ive had mine for 5+ years and still starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull even if I absentmindedly forget to prep it off season.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I have a big gas Stihl with handle bars. It has been awesome, I typically keep an 18 inch sickle bar on it which does a great job keeping small branches and bryers back from the drive.

I also have a Stihl battery FSA85 with the 300APH battery. It runs a little over an hour on a charge and does an outstanding job. I am going to buy a small chainsaw That uses the same battery pack.

·
Registered
904 Posts
$450, go for the fs131r.
Any of the Stihl FSR series will be good work horses

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went with a Stihl Kombi and it's a workhorse and far more than just a trimmer. The 4 mix engine starts easy and has great power. I sometimes like a curved shaft trimmer, for other jobs I prefer a straight shaft trimmer, I can easily have and use both on the Kombi. Also have a leaf blower, a pole saw attachment and the powersweep. The rubber paddles on the powersweep are great for getting gravel back out of the grass after a winter of plowing, and the bristle broom heads work great for sweeping large areas. The pole saw attachment is awesome for trimming jobs and I love to use it for trimming trees out of a fence row or when I fall a tree to cut all the small branches off, saves a LOT of bending over.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Stihl Kombi.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I went with a Stihl Kombi and it's a workhorse and far more than just a trimmer. The 4 mix engine starts easy and has great power. I sometimes like a curved shaft trimmer, for other jobs I prefer a straight shaft trimmer, I can easily have and use both on the Kombi. Also have a leaf blower, a pole saw attachment and the powersweep. The rubber paddles on the powersweep are great for getting gravel back out of the grass after a winter of plowing, and the bristle broom heads work great for sweeping large areas. The pole saw attachment is awesome for trimming jobs and I love to use it for trimming trees out of a fence row or when I fall a tree to cut all the small branches off, saves a LOT of bending over.
FUNNY YOU ASK NOW I just got a used stihl KM110r and used it today and it is much nicer then my echo that I have had for 20 years . after buying and rebuilding a br600 blower and seeing how well its made I looked for this KM 110 and so far I like it .
I hope this helps

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Toughsox

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I have the Sthl FS111R. Great weedeater. Wish I would have went with the 131. It’s the one step up in power that doesn’t come with a great weight increase. Either way, mine seems to have plenty of power, starts right off the bat, feeds line great. Great all around weed killer.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Toughsox

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd recommend the Stihl Kombi system if you want to use multiple systems l attachments. I have the KM130r. The new version is the KM131r, which is the biggest one.

I'd go with the big one to keep your options open for attachments. I've never needed all of the power until I got a bed redefiner. That thing sucks up the power.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
Echo used to be top of the line until they started selling them in big box stores. Not just my opinion but of many of the lawn professionals Ive spoken with as to why they no longer use that brand.

I cant speak for Husqvarna as they are not sold around where I live unless you go out searching for them.

Having said that, you will not find many lawn people around here that arent outfitted with Stihls as their go-to weed whacker.....myself included. Ive had mine for 5+ years and still starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull even if I absentmindedly forget to prep it off season.
So yours is still 2 stroke?

I have a FS56. I've had it for several year and it still runs well.

I needed something with a little more power so I bought a FS91.

First two years it ran great.

This year it started to puke out on me.

The JD/Stihl dealer told me it was because I took off the guard and was running the sting too long.

My FS56 has never had this problem....

Well the newer 4 strokes don't have that good of coil and will overheat is what I was told.

I think it was a line of BS. The only thing I believe is that they don't have as good a coil, as in they cheaped out.

Not sure what it will be, but I know what the next one won't be....:nunu:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
The two front runners currently are the Husqvarna 525 lk or the Echo srm-2620t.
I have two Husqvarna's and like them both. One is like the model you list with the interchangeable attachment shaft and the other does not. I have the sweeper, blower, tiller and sweeper attachments. It's the best trimmer I've ever owned, they start easily, run "forever" on a tank of fuel and seem durable.

One thing I was not prepared for was that the carburetor requires a special tool to adjust. On the upside, once adjusted, I have not touched it. I was not keen on the fuel/oil mix, but the 50:1 mix smoke just a tad on start up, then it's super clean.

My neighbor set me onto this brand, an I'm glad he did.

If you purchase and want to consider a sweeper broom, let me know. I have about 5 feet of gravel now with everything paved and I have a broom on the front of the 1025 and no longer need it.

Attachments

Reactions: Gizmo2 and rtgt

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Which is the best is usually a 10,000 question which usually gets responses based on what we have.

So that said, I have an Echo PAS 280, now replaced by the PAS 2620 https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series/PAS-2620

The reason's that I went with the Echo is, I wanted a Bed-redefiner and I felt, the Echo, compared to the Stihl bed-redefiner, had the superior cutter head on their respective bed-redefiners. The Echo bed-redefiner head is cast steel with carbide cutters brazed on the tips and because of the cutter weight, the momentum of the head spinning helps cut through tough sod. The Stihl has a shaped steel cutter blade that doesn't have the weight, so you loose the momentum effect of the head spinning.

I have a great Echo dealer and a great Stihl dealer. They both left me use their most powerful head with a bed-redefiner attached to try them. The Echo, by a large margin, out performs the Stihl. I know, I hate to have to say it to because I am a Stihl fan, but in this one case, Echo kicks Stihls butt.

I do have to say, the Echo isn't a cheap piece. They cost as much as a Stihl, or more, and are very good quality, if you buy the professional versions. I have had my Echo for about 5 years and use it hard. When using the bed-redefiner, that works them hard. Probably the one attachment that takes mega power and a good clutch system.

Now, I would say if you have a good Stihl dealer handy and no Echo dealer, buy the Stihl. Just don't buy the Echo at a big box store, as they are different, just like the Husqvarna's sold at the big box stores, they are not the same models that you buy at the dealer stores.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series/bed-redefiner-attachment

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/fbdkm/

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
As I was reading this thread I thought to myself... "wouldn't it be nice if the Kombi and PAS and other multi attach systems interchange?" ...OR... "wouldn't it be nice if someone made adapters to use different implements on different power heads?"

Well, after a quick search, I found a youtube that answered some of my questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNWgncahDjQ

It doesn't say all are interchangeable, but he says PAS fits into Kombi, but not vice versa. No guarantees in my mind, as I would have to see for myself. But it opens up a bunch of possibilities.

BTW I have a KM130 Kombi with just string trimmer and scythe attachments, but it works great. Going forward, I'm now considering Stihl's battery line.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
One other thought on the Husqvarna trimmer.

IF you are going to use your new unit for personal and not commercial use, the TrimmerPlus (by Troy-Bilt) line of attachments should fit the power head/shaft and are readily available from Lowes, Home Depot, and Amazon. My tiller, and blower are the TrimmerPlus variety and have held up well, and for personal use, they are a decent value.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
How much trimming do you do?
What color are your battery hand tools?
I had a stihl, went to Milwaukee 18v, works great cuts like a champ, fits my battery profile, when I got it got free blower.
If above is not for you...I would go stihl

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,153 Posts
How much trimming do you do?
What color are your battery hand tools?
I had a stihl, went to Milwaukee 18v, works great cuts like a champ, fits my battery profile, when I got it got free blower.
If above is not for you...I would go stihl
Good post. :thumbup1gif:
Everyone (including me) are still thinking gas powered.

Reactions: fdmars
1 - 20 of 65 Posts