Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my brother-in-law owns a steel fabrication company and tells me he has some scrap steel 'chunks' in his truck. I quickly ask if I can get my hands on them. Turns out they are 'washers' for a structural steel building. 2" thick by 9" square. Weighing 40 lbs a peice! He says take them, I have a lot more at the shop. I got 14 in total.

They have a 2" hole burned through the middle, I was thinking about designing a seperate weight bracket with a 2" steel rod through them and them weld on some lower 3 point pins. Any ideas?
I am also thinking that it would be nice to leave them loose and use them on my aerator or something else.

Dumped out the gravel in my BB and put them in last night. Now I have room for chains, tools and a cooler

20141207_194606.jpg

20141207_194621.jpg

20141207_194648.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Any pictures of those bad boys?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any pictures of those bad boys?
Ok, I think I got the pictures to load now.

I wonder if he would burn me a replica of the JD weight.... Then I could hang them.

I'm curious what you guys would do with them. Ideas?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Ok, I think I got the pictures to load now.

I wonder if he would burn me a replica of the JD weight.... Then I could hang them.

I'm curious what you guys would do with them. Ideas?
If I was me.... I'd weld a handle on top by using heavy 3" angle iron ( cut to match the thickness of your steel )for the up rights and 3/4-1" solid bar for the handle. The angle iron would give you more welding surface vs a straight tab....and three inch angle would get your handle up high enough to comfortably allow your hand to pass under the bar.Then I would construct a hanging clip similar to the JD weights that would fit a JD weight bracket. I wouldn't cut away from what you have but add to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts