Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed new 3” wheel spacers from Bro-Tek. Was going to the 2” as listed on the website, but he also makes 3”.
Will give an update later as to the difference they made.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used the tractor yesterday after installing them, what a difference! When driving on rough ground and a rear wheel drops into a hole, tractor doesn’t throw you around as bad, and much more stable with a loaded bucket!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So does that mean 3" per wheel or 3" total? Any worries about axle strain? Thinking about doing this myself.
3” per side. Not too worried about axle strain as most of my use is loader work.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I love the idea of the stability, but don't want to be running over unblown snow. The rear tires on my 3046R are almost exactly the width of the 59" blower.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the idea of the stability, but don't want to be running over unblown snow. The rear tires on my 3046R are almost exactly the width of the 59" blower.
Probably take them off for winter .

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That works. How big a wrestling match is it to wrangle those wheels?
not a big deal at all, just don’t let them fall over.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Probably take them off for winter .
The you will not be able to use chains. Your tires will be too close. I installed the 3" spacers from the same company. There have been times I was glad I had them on just using the tractor this summer. It makes the tractor very stable. If deere is willing to add 11: to a 4 series 3" is not going to hurt a 3 series.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The you will not be able to use chains. Your tires will be too close. I installed the 3" spacers from the same company. There have been times I was glad I had them on just using the tractor this summer. It makes the tractor very stable. If deere is willing to add 11: to a 4 series 3" is not going to hurt a 3 series.
I ran chains last winter, had wheels in wide position, had just enough clearance.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I ran chains last winter, had wheels in wide position, had just enough clearance.
Interesting! My 3046r there is no way I could run chains. I wonder if they changed something from 18 to 19.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So does that mean 3" per wheel or 3" total? Any worries about axle strain? Thinking about doing this myself.
Deere does not recommend the use of spacers on the current 3 series. Got this info straight from an engineer that works at the Augusta Assembly Plant where these machines are built. They were approved for the 3x20 models. They had a different transaxle than the 3R series.

Jeff

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deere does not recommend the use of spacers on the current 3 series. Got this info straight from an engineer that works at the Augusta Assembly Plant where these machines are built. They were approved for the 3x20 models. They had a different transaxle than the 3R series.

Jeff
Yes that is correct. They found premature bearing wear under accelerated testing. Probably means they had maximum weight on the 3 point and on a shaker table running at full speed under full stress. A weeks worth of testing to simulate 5 years of use.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Used the tractor yesterday after installing them, what a difference! When driving on rough ground and a rear wheel drops into a hole, tractor doesn’t throw you around as bad, and much more stable with a loaded bucket!
Exactly much more stable, much smoother ride. Major improvement in that side to side throwing me around business.
I have 3" spacers on both of my 3 series and now that I have seen first hand the difference these spacer really make. I know now I would not own a 3 series without them, I also have spacers on my 2 series, been on that 2 since the day it was delivered.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Yes that is correct. They found premature bearing wear under accelerated testing. Probably means they had maximum weight on the 3 point and on a shaker table running at full speed under full stress. A weeks worth of testing to simulate 5 years of use.
I had seen that same info several times. A couple things come to mind. One they only ever offered a 4" same one they use and still use on the 4 series. Which on the 3 series that would be a direct conflict with any of the belly mowers so often found on 3 series machines. The max you can use with a 72" deck is a 3" spacer. The other thing has always bugged me about that whole deal is the axle seems to be the same size as the 4 series only thing different is the tires are smaller and lighter, which should make for less stress on the 3 then the 4s which it is still ok to use them on 4 series. Also the new large frame 2 series also offers spacers as accessory items right from JD.

For some reason, I just have a really hard time buying that JD explanation or concern.
I know I am not taking mine off either of my 3 series, no way. I actually knew about this JD concern prior to buying and installing the spacers on both my 3Rs.
Now one of my 3s pretty much only gets used to mow at this point, nothing to axle straining there. The other does do some loader work, but I really don't think I push it to its limits very often at all. I take the chance of loosing a bearing any day for all the added stability /enhanced safety I get from these spacers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts