Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed to make a quick workbench for my shed, so I picked up one of these 2X4 Basics kits. Working out really nice. These things make building a workbench so easy... a caveman could do it. :laugh:

Only took an hour and a half or so to get the frame built...

WB-1.jpg

Tomorrow I'll work on the shelf kit that comes with it. Updates to come. :lol:

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
That looks cool Dave, I assume they are plastic? Where did you get them?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Looking Good Dave

Can't have enough work space. Now, don't make it a storge shelf. :mocking:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks cool Dave, I assume they are plastic? Where did you get them?
Thanks Kenny,

Yep, the legs are some kind of heavy duty plastic... seem really strong. I couldn't find the kit I wanted locally, so I got it through Amazon.

·
Premium Member
7,907 Posts
With all the pretzel-wood out there, I'm amazed the OP got such good looking lumber for the frame.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With all the pretzel-wood out there, I'm amazed the OP got such good looking lumber for the frame.
All the lumber used is stuff I had laying around. Even the workbench shelves and top are going to be 1 X 12" planks that I have on hand. However, I did stock up on some decent 2X4's a while back when a local lumber yard got in some good ones. Every time I go to a lumber yard, or Lowe's, Home Depot... or whatever, I always look at what they have on the shelves and pick some good "sticks" up even if I don't need them at that time.

It is amazing at some of the crap lumber they get from time to time. Don't know if it's the time of year, or the supplier, or what, but sometimes the lumber looks like twisted tree branches. :lol:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, here's how it's going to look when it's done (minus some accessories)...

WB-3.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Dave, Are you gonna paint it?

You can sure prevent it getting stained from oil and grease if you paint it. :thumbup1gif: It will stay looking new longer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
if i were you i would match the paint of the frame.

what is the link for the frame

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yea guys, I was thinking of using some deck stain that my wife has. It is blue stain, but I'm not buying another color. I wanted to keep it inexpensive, and so far, it only cost my the price of the frame kit, with no tax or shipping cost. :D

jfoi,

Here is the link to their site...

http://www.2x4basics.com/

These pages have neat ideas for different combinations...

http://www.2x4basics.com/gallery.asp?area=Storage-System

Here is the link where I bought the kit that I wanted...

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-90164-Workbench-Shelving-Storage/dp/tags-on-product/B0030T1BRE

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to post a pic of the finished (almost :D ) project. The only thing I had to buy was the kit. Everything else was something I had around the house or made. However, I will have to buy a vice. :cray: :laugh:

WB-4.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
Looks great Dave! Thanks for the follow-up.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
280 Posts
nice workbench!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, and yep, that's the last time it will ever look like that. That's why I took a pic. :lol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
Isn't it funny how we accumulate things! I just realized I have a vice on my workbench in the garage, and one in the basement, and one in the barn. I know I also have at least 2 others lying around here or there.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Nice job Dave.

That really turned out nice, very functional. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Randy!

Yep, I think it's going to work out fine. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Isn't it funny how we accumulate things! I just realized I have a vice on my workbench in the garage, and one in the basement, and one in the barn. I know I also have at least 2 others lying around here or there.
CP,

Yea, I also have two. One is to small to use out in the shed, and the other is WAY to big for that workbench. I need something in the 4" or 5" in class for the workbench.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts