Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new x380 delivered a couple weeks ago. Overall it is a great mower but I have a few observations. First off, the hood seems to fit extremely close to the engine, you have to flex the hood a bit on the right side to get it to open, not a big deal but I would have thought this should not happen. Second, after the first mow it wasn't mowing evenly, somewhat of a stair step look. I figured no big deal, the dealer didn't level the deck so I leveled it according to the manual (with the gauge under the deck at 3 points). Another mow and it still didn't look as good as my old mower.. So I leveled the deck by using a block under the blades and now it mows beautifully! So the question I have does anyone else level the deck with gauge? Is it accurate for you? Otherwise love the mower, plenty of power, built to last a long time!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I never thought of trying that. The gauge is kind of a pain to keep moving around. Congrats on the new machine.

·
Premium Member
11,373 Posts
After leveling the deck using the supplied "chess piece", how far off were the blades when checking with the block of wood? On my X500, after leveling the deck using the chess piece, I find the blades themselves to be within 1/8" of each other side-to-side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After leveling the deck using the supplied "chess piece", how far off were the blades when checking with the block of wood? On my X500, after leveling the deck using the chess piece, I find the blades themselves to be within 1/8" of each other side-to-side.
It was about 1/4" off side to side and the front to back was a little over 1/2". I set it even side to side and about 1/4" difference front to back, with the back higher. It made a huge difference, the lawn looks like a golf course now. (except for the dandelions! LOL)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The 54" deck on my X540 worked fine with the factory tool. When I had a level shop floor too do it on that is.

Tried using the plastic JD measuring tool on the 42" deck of my old L108. It worked better with a block of wood. This was after replacing both spindles because the bearings were shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts