Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of a new 2021 x390 with 48" deck yesterday. I started window looking last fall when my 25 year old STX46 started showing its age. But, put off buying because no mowing is done here in the winter.

Then I recently saw a post on this site that Deere was offering $300 off the x300 series. So the flip flopping back and forth between x370 and x390 began, with the 390 winning out.

I got the brush guard, and the armrests installed. According to the dealer, the 2021 models have an updated seat, and it sure is nice. Also wanted the 25 gallon mounted sprayer. Dealer was going to charge me $150 labor to install the sprayer. After doing it myself, I can see why. It was a pain, but I got it done.

I also got the 12v kit, figuring I can plug the sprayer into that instead of running directly to the battery. Having a hard time getting that fuse connector into the fuse box. Anybody else install that option and had trouble? PN BM24915.

I'm actually looking forward to starting the mowing season this year. That 390 is so much bigger than the STX, but that STX doesn't owe me a dime. It's been a good one.

Thanks for this site - a ton of info on here!

·
Registered
128 Posts
you will certain appreciate the power steering. i have a X590 and my buyers remorse is the opposite of most users here. while a lot wish they had jumped to the X7 series i often wonder if a X390 with a johnny bucket Jr for same to less cost would have been a smarter purchase.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
$150 to assemble the 25 gal. mounted sprayer?? Wow. That is insane.

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
andy g I have a 2019 X390 and luv it. I'm sure yours will treat you well also! (y) :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
last winter, I thought about the X390 for 2-4 months because it will do all I need to do on my 1.5 acres, but I do have a side berm with10 trees all along my property's east edge and upgraded at the last minute to the X590 because of traction control. The X590 has been great and probably a tad better than the x390 but not by much. I rarely use the traction control and actually could live without it, but my logic kicked in and told me that this is likely to be a 10 year partnership and the extra cost per year is not that great. List to list is about $20 /month over 10 years. The power steering is awesome and EFI is really nice. I have the HDAP tires which is probably overkill. My only issue is with the Mulch on Demand kit. The deck tends to load up in damp grass and needs to be scraped after each mowing. I purchased a MoJack to make that easier and no regrets. Enjoy your x390, you deserve it.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I also got the 12v kit, figuring I can plug the sprayer into that instead of running directly to the battery. Having a hard time getting that fuse connector into the fuse box. Anybody else install that option and had trouble? PN BM24915
I put the 12v accessory plug on my X360 a couple years ago. Don't know right off if it's the same part number but I'm sure it's similar if not. I didn't have any trouble popping the fuse lead into the fuse block. It can only go in one way to clip in to retain itself, which also lines up the terminal properly to accept the fuse. Have you tried inserting it 180° opposite of what you're trying?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
If I didn't need a tiller for gardening I would've gone with the X390. I splurged on my X590 when I got it with armrest, front guard, and electric mulch control.
Hope for an early spring and enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I am looking forward to mowing with that beast if it ever dries out enough. The power steering is such a nice thing to have. I know I could have spent more money and went on up the line, but coming from the STX, anything would have probably been an upgrade, but the old girl has been good to me. If I can get 25 years of service out of the 390, I'll be surprised. They just don't make stuff like they used to. I didn't get the mulch kit - I'm just an old country boy still in the country. In fact, if it weren't for the weeds, I wouldn't need a mower at all ;) . I'd rather be in the garden any day. Ordered my tomato seeds and peat pots today! Been too long since I've had a good ol mater samich!

Kylew, I was getting so frustrated that I finally contacted my salesman over that 12v kit. He had to go back to the shop and talk to a tech about it. My fuse box has these blue plastic "dividers?" between the wires, and the install instructions made no mention of them, nevermind having to remove them to get the connector in. Once he told me to take those out first, I didn't have too much trouble getting the connector in. Maybe I'm stupid, but so far, I'm not too impressed with Deere's install instructions.

fuse block.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Ahh...I see the dilemma now Andy. I don't have those dividers and didn't know they started using them. That'll do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts