Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome on GTT! I just picked up a new x730 for my 3.5 acre home. Primarily, I will be using this for snow and mowing, but I also have some normal homeowner projects to accomplish. I willl be adding some crushed stone pads here and there, clearing some paths, firewood hauling etc.

I purchased the 54" deck as well as the quick attach plow and the 17p cart to start out with. Im also looking at whether or not to add the 3 pt hitch and PTO for a generator (dont have one currently at this house) and also for a ballast box for plowing. I have weights and chains on there now, but I feel that I could use another 200 lbs or so.

I realize that adding the 3 pt and PTO gets me right in line with the 1 series, but the added size wasn't what I was looking for. Plus, at that point, Id want the backhoe and loader too. Of course, a little buck loader isnt out of the question either...

What would you recommend for me here? Lets spend my money! :bigthumb: :gizmo:

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome on GTT! I just picked up a new x730 for my 3.5 acre home. Primarily, I will be using this for snow and mowing, but I also have some normal homeowner projects to accomplish. I willl be adding some crushed stone pads here and there, clearing some paths, firewood hauling etc.

I purchased the 54" deck as well as the quick attach plow and the 17p cart to start out with. Im also looking at whether or not to add the 3 pt hitch and PTO for a generator (dont have one currently at this house) and also for a ballast box for plowing. I have weights and chains on there now, but I feel that I could use another 200 lbs or so.

I realize that adding the 3 pt and PTO gets me right in line with the 1 series, but the added size wasn't what I was looking for. Plus, at that point, Id want the backhoe and loader too. Of course, a little buck loader isnt out of the question either...

What would you recommend for me here? Lets spend my money! :bigthumb: :gizmo:
Attachments to consider

Loaders & slip Buckets
http://compacttractorandcomponents.com/John deere 4750+.htm
Johnny Bucket Sr. John Deere 300-400 series
Front end loaders for John Deere tractors | Little Buck Loader

Well if You Looking for a tiller Keep In Mind the JD 42inch Hydraulic tiller all you will need to add to you tractor is a 3point Hitch Because the tiller is run via a PTO pump on the Mid PTO. That said it's still worth getting the 540RPm rear PTO because it does open a lot more PTO Powered attachments I have had the Hydraulic tiller myself for the Last 14 years on a X485 & a X748. But this past Year I bought a 1025R TLB with a 647 48inch tiller and I have used the 647 tiller on My X748 far more this year Than I normally used the 42inch Hydraulic tiller. For Gardening in the Fall I could cut down the Garden waste with my 54inch deck & till In One Pass thanks to having the rear PTO. If I didn't have a tow Behind wood chipper I would have gone with this chipper MacKissic Inc. for My X748\

The 3point alone adds so Much versatility to your X730. There are so many 3point Implement Manufactures out there with a lot lower cost 3point Implements than Deere and another suggestion to get for Your X730 if You get a 3point Is to get a I-Match Quick Hitch and another Great thing to add if You don't have it already is the Click & Go Brackets especially for the 6 suitcase weight bracket You would need the click & go bracket for any Bagging Implement as well except the MC519 Cart. I have the MC519 Cart & I bought a aftermarket Hydraulic lift kit for it https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-MC519-Hydraulic-Dump-Kit/222681772559?epid=1931585029&hash=item33d8de320f:g:GYYAAOSwmOJZ5jxE.

Hope You enjoy your X730 it a fine Garden tractor:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
If your mechanically inclined the pto and 3pt hitch you can do yourself and save a few bucks.As Sargent said once you add them it opens up to many more attachments.Just to let you know though 3pt hitch attachments have to fit cat 1 limited lift which is what the x7xx and one series are.Here are a few of my 3pt attachments and other stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
More advice, get the 3PH - I own a 318 with 3PH and have an AlZ load lifter with the forks, has a 2" receiver and you can hang weights on it. The forks come in handy moving things. The 318 doesn't get used so if I do sell it this spring I will be getting a 3PH for my X740.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,

I Think Im sold on the 3pt. hitch, a ballast box, and the Little Buck to start off with. I would have preferred the 45 or the CTC, but the budget and lack of compatibility landed me on the little buck. I feel that it will be fine though, as Im not going to be pushing the limits anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I Think Im sold on the 3pt. hitch, a ballast box, and the Little Buck to start off with. I would have preferred the 45 or the CTC, but the budget and lack of compatibility landed me on the little buck. I feel that it will be fine though, as Im not going to be pushing the limits anytime soon.
Not to knock your purchase, but your ideas wants and needs line up well with a 1023 or 1025R. Not any much bigger than what you bought really. I went looking for a x7xx and the wife thought I was nuts for getting the 1025r TLB. She doesn't think that now. I have done many projects that I never would have with a garden tractor. Kind of knew what I really wanted, but was lying to myself, and the wife.
To each his own. I went the garden tractor route the first time with a New Holland GT 75. Put the 3 Pt hitch and PTO. Couldn't have loader. Kicked myself for 17 years. I do not know more than what you have written, but hope you are not going down the same path.
Regardless. Good luck with your purchase. They are a nice machine.

PS: You did say you wanted help spending your money... We ALL, are good at helping with that here!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to knock your purchase, but your ideas wants and needs line up well with a 1023 or 1025R. Not any much bigger than what you bought really. I went looking for a x7xx and the wife thought I was nuts for getting the 1025r TLB. She doesn't think that now. I have done many projects that I never would have with a garden tractor. Kind of knew what I really wanted, but was lying to myself, and the wife.
To each his own. I went the garden tractor route the first time with a New Holland GT 75. Put the 3 Pt hitch and PTO. Couldn't have loader. Kicked myself for 17 years. I do not know more than what you have written, but hope you are not going down the same path.

PS: You did say you wanted help spending your money... We ALL, are good at helping with that here!!!

I know where you are coming from. I had the 730 and the 1023e side by side at the dealer and we were going over it as well. My neighbor has the 1025. Once I put the loader, deck and plow on the 1023 and looked at the price, I was quite a bit higher in price. And if Im being quite honest, 90% of the machines life will be mowing and snow plowing. I got the tractor, plow, deck and a cart, and saved around $6k off the price.

Im hoping to be in a bigger space in a few years, so at that point Im thinking trade in, trade up. I have the maching paid off, so as long as the trade in works well, Ill be looking at a 1 or 2 series down the road. For now, this should wet my appetite.

But Thank you, honestly, for your feedback.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

A 1023/1025 vs a X7xx is always a tough call.

Not to change the subject but do you have any pictures etc of your home made PTO generator?

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts

Kwik-way actually did Make a Loader for the GT75 when the GT75 was out. Because Your GT75 was just a re-badged Shibaura which they still make for the European market:bigthumb:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a 2017 X738 mid year last year. I have the tractor, mower deck, bagging system, blade (with wings and rubber cutting edge), snowblower, 3 pt hitch, heavy hitch, aerator, soft cab, 8 suitcase weights and a rear sprayer.

I would buy everything again except I would give more thought about buying the snowblower (my blade is fantastic!!! I haven't used my snowblower yet). Don't get me wrong, I would love to have enough snow to have to use my snowblower...wishful thinking. My blade has been able to handle 7" of snow easily plus I have a lot of places to put plowed snow. And I think I would consider a hard cab, too. I enjoy spending time outside in the winter.

Here is what I think I still need:
Imatch, loader, pallet forks (thinking about getting the heavy hitch ones until I get a loader)

·
Registered
178 Posts
PtJudeRI,

First of all CONGRATS on your new X730!

You mentioned that you may be considering a PTO generator. I was in the same boat as you few years ago looking for a JD PTO generator (thinking of another use of my diesel tractor) and was advised against it by my dealership.

The reasons they gave me was that:

1) When the power goes out it is usually in the worst conditions and your tractor will probably be sitting outside in those same conditions generating power. (freezing rain maybe)
2) You may need to use your tractor in those conditions like plowing snow for example.
3) You will rack up hours on your tractor.
4) It will take a bit of time to connect it up and move it to your connection point.
5) You will need to store it someplace.

In the the end I took their advice and bought a standalone unit which I keep in a small enclosure next to the house. As it is not automatic, I can have it up and running in about 2 minutes. I don't think I could be that quick with a PTO model.

I just thought that would pass that info on.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I bought a 2017 X738 mid year last year. I have the tractor, mower deck, bagging system, blade (with wings and rubber cutting edge), snowblower, 3 pt hitch, heavy hitch, aerator, soft cab, 8 suitcase weights and a rear sprayer.

I would buy everything again except I would give more thought about buying the snowblower (my blade is fantastic!!! I haven't used my snowblower yet). Don't get me wrong, I would love to have enough snow to have to use my snowblower...wishful thinking. My blade has been able to handle 7" of snow easily plus I have a lot of places to put plowed snow. And I think I would consider a hard cab, too. I enjoy spending time outside in the winter.

Here is what I think I still need:
Imatch, loader, pallet forks (thinking about getting the heavy hitch ones until I get a loader)
You Know for Years I wanted a single stage thrower for My X485 Made do with a Blade Finally Bought a Two stage Blower In 2014 when I bought My Used JD X748 and the first 2 winters the Blower was needed But these Last two winters I could Have made do with a Blade so far. I have been blowing this winter with the 1025R and I am really coming to the feeling I should Have just run the 54inch Blade. Because what I did this last snow storm was Blow first with the 1025R then Get Out the GX335 with a 48inch Blade with Rubber squeegee edge to really clean it to the asphalt. My new House I really have the room to Push back snow on either side of the drive. I think I am going to run the 54inch Blade the rest of this winter on the 1025R The other reason. I made a Bad Investment In a Seizmik Cab and There wiper design is Bad(only clears one side of the windshield) and the windshield frost Up so Bad even with a Fan&heater That I can't even see to Blow with it after 30minutes. I think running the Blade Might keep the windshield from frosting so quick Because I won't be getting blow back as Bad On the windshield like I do with the Blower. My OTC Cab does not fog or Frost Up like the Seizmik I Have the X748 with the OTC Cab & 45 Loader set up on it:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My thoughts on this are , if your going to add rear pto and 3 point is you’d be better off with a 1023/25

The x7xx are great for mowing and running a snowblower. They can be used for towing trailers, spreeders and sweepers. I don’t think deer offers or recommends a loader.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
My thoughts on this are , if your going to add rear pto and 3 point is you’d be better off with a 1023/25

The x7xx are great for mowing and running a snowblower. They can be used for towing trailers, spreeders and sweepers. I don’t think deer offers or recommends a loader.
When the signature series was in development a Loader was still going to be Produced But the Bean counters got Involved again engineers actually had a Prototype for a Loader But Bean counters choose not to Put It In Production. Deere can be kind of funny with attachments When they Produced the 45 Loader for the Pre 2012 X700 series Some Deere reps Voided warranties On tractors that were using aftermarket Loaders ie the CTC Loader. But Now that Deere doesn't Produce one themselves The could care less if You buy a aftermarket attachment such as a CTC Loader. Back In 2014 I was Looking at Buying a X758 with a CTC Loader. But I realized I Liked the X748 better Plus I like the design of the 45 loader Better 45 Goal Posts actually saved my younger brother Life In a Role Over On a Dealer owned X495( he Run a Deere dealer Service & Parts Department) and they were testing the X495 to close to the dry retention pond. The other downside is CTC is not very Helpful if Your run into Problems with there Products( they Basically tell You that your a Idiot) But there have Not been Many Problems with the Loaders for the 425 thru X758. I just wouldn't Buy one they Produced for older Models such as the 318. The CTC Loader's quality is not there Like Kwik-way Had for there Loaders when they were still in the loader & Backhoe Business. But Unfortunately CTC is the only aftermarket full fledged loader for the X700 signature series BTW a X700 series tractor has the same amount of PTO HP as a 1025R that being 18HP There More than Capable of doing many PTO Jobs But there Limited to Implements weighing under 450Lbs and There fine tilling tractor:thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That CTC loader looks fantastic! The newer boom design matches the newer styling very well. Honestly, Id love it as a toy, but I don't have the projects to warrant the cost of it. Same with some of the ground implements. I dont have a large garden to till, nor land to level out, so I think that Ill be ok. I ordered the Little Buck for mulch/gravel duties, and I think the click n go plus ballast box should be a good start. I may pony up for the 3 pt, depending on the cost.

I was out plowing yesterday with the 54 blade, and it was a champ; but I could have used a touch more weight in the back end.

Only downside was that I blew the hydro line off the angle cylinder on my last pass! :banghead: Turns out that the 90 deg. fitting was only threaded into the cylinder 1 or two threads, and the pressure blew it off. Not a Great start; but no damage and an easy fix. Dealer said he will give me a new jug of hydro fluid for my troubles.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
That CTC loader looks fantastic! The newer boom design matches the newer styling very well. Honestly, Id love it as a toy, but I don't have the projects to warrant the cost of it. Same with some of the ground implements. I dont have a large garden to till, nor land to level out, so I think that Ill be ok. I ordered the Little Buck for mulch/gravel duties, and I think the click n go plus ballast box should be a good start. I may pony up for the 3 pt, depending on the cost.

I was out plowing yesterday with the 54 blade, and it was a champ; but I could have used a touch more weight in the back end.

Only downside was that I blew the hydro line off the angle cylinder on my last pass! :banghead: Turns out that the 90 deg. fitting was only threaded into the cylinder 1 or two threads, and the pressure blew it off. Not a Great start; but no damage and an easy fix. Dealer said he will give me a new jug of hydro fluid for my troubles.
Well if You ever want to get a tiller for it all you need is a 3point hitch anyways. The 42inch Hydraulic tiller(mid PTO driven) is the Perfect size for small gardens Though I use to till about 10 acres a year with it My 3acre Garden twice a year and Many small garden for neighbors twice a year which were On average 15x50 or 15X75:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
You Know for Years I wanted a single stage thrower for My X485 Made do with a Blade Finally Bought a Two stage Blower In 2014 when I bought My Used JD X748 and the first 2 winters the Blower was needed But these Last two winters I could Have made do with a Blade so far. I have been blowing this winter with the 1025R and I am really coming to the feeling I should Have just run the 54inch Blade. Because what I did this last snow storm was Blow first with the 1025R then Get Out the GX335 with a 48inch Blade with Rubber squeegee edge to really clean it to the asphalt. My new House I really have the room to Push back snow on either side of the drive. I think I am going to run the 54inch Blade the rest of this winter on the 1025R The other reason. I made a Bad Investment In a Seizmik Cab and There wiper design is Bad(only clears one side of the windshield) and the windshield frost Up so Bad even with a Fan&heater That I can't even see to Blow with it after 30minutes. I think running the Blade Might keep the windshield from frosting so quick Because I won't be getting blow back as Bad On the windshield like I do with the Blower. My OTC Cab does not fog or Frost Up like the Seizmik I Have the X748 with the OTC Cab & 45 Loader set up on it:thumbup1gif:
Ditch the cab and take on old man winter face to face.:lol:

When you don't have a cab you learn real fast 2 things.
1. Chute operation is very important and may have to be adjusted as you moving.
2. You find the fastest way to get the job done and get back in.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Ditch the cab and take on old man winter face to face.:lol:

When you don't have a cab you learn real fast 2 things.
1. Chute operation is very important and may have to be adjusted as you moving.
2. You find the fastest way to get the job done and get back in.
Yeah the Cab was a Pain to install It going to be a Bigger Pain to Take off at least the rear Canvas will be a biggest pain. The roof & windshield come off very easily. Trust me before I ever had a Cab I had two tractors with single stage Blowers so I was use to a face full off snow every so often and one driveway was to long to just throw snow in one direction:bigthumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've owned this class of tractor for the past 25 years or so. Here is my input:

Blade is all you should need for snow in Rhode Island. It's fast and effective. Snowblower is neater and better for snows over 15", but very slow and without a cab you'll get wet.
3PH is a must in my opinion. I did not get it on my first GT and regretted it every year. I love my 3ph now :)
Don't get a ballast box. Instead get an omni-hitch or heavy-hitch and use suitcase weights. Much more versatile. Weight can be put on the front or back. I have the omni-hitch with basket. Without the basket, I can put over 400 lbs on the rear tires for snow. Probably 300 more with the basket, but I've never needed it.
Leverage the hydraulics on your tractor. I have a hydraulic dump trailer and hydraulic lift dethatcher. Would be great for a log splitter too. My trailer is bada$$.
Best attachments: aerator, 40 gal sprayer. landscape rake, lawn vacuum (all on 3ph). Love my sprayer.
Get a stand alone generator. A generator will put too much wear and tear on a GT. The quality of the AC may also be suspect.
rear PTO: only if you have plans for a tiller. And I would just get a walk behind unless you have plans to can/freeze in a big way that would require a huge garden.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys! I'm going to go see the dealer and get a price on the 3pt hitch. I just assembled my 17p cart today, made dividers for the inside, and towed the wife and kiddo around. (Their request...) I should be seeing my little buck this week as well! I'm leaning away from the generator, most people agree it's not a perfect fit.

I don't think a tiller is in my immediate future, but a rake may be.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts