Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X738
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my X738 delivered and I can't wait to use it! I'm impressed with how easy and quick it is to take the mower deck and bagger off. We have plenty of snow up here in Maine so no grass cutting anytime soon. Although I did pull the deck and try the four wheel drive out in the snow! I was honestly impressed with how well it did.

Can't wait to put some hours on it!!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
The 4wd is nice having. Did you get turf tires or the HDAP's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my X738 delivered and I can't wait to use it! I'm impressed with how easy and quick it is to take the mower deck and bagger off. We have plenty of snow up here in Maine so no grass cutting anytime soon. Although I did pull the deck and try the four wheel drive out in the snow! I was honestly impressed with how well it did.

Can't wait to put some hours on it!!
Any chance for some pics? I may be picking up my new x738 this weekend, assuming the attachments came in today.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,899 Posts
Congratulations JJones04073

Reactions: tj1 and TJR345

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
Hoping for his sake HDAP tires. IMO with HDAP a great machine in snow, with turfs. ah not so much.

Congrats , you will love the automatic awd.

Reactions: tj1 and TJR345

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats! No snow implements for the x7? You are missing out on the fun!
First thing to do - Check the hydro fluid level.
And check it more than once in the first few hours of operation.

Mine must have had an air pocket somewhere, since the level went down soon after it got put into service, but there are no leaks. Since adding some there have been no more changes in level.

JD Low Viscosity hyd oil is cheap, even in quarts.
No need to mess around figuring an alternative.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Congrats!
The X7 series is amazing, especially the 738, 739 and 758. You will love it!

Reactions: tj1 and gdow

·
Registered
2021 X738
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did get the HDAP tires. I'm very impressed by them. I'll take a couple of better pics when I get home.

Good advise on checking all the fluids, I'll do that today too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
HDAP tires are fantastic. I have an extra set. I may put hose on my 1025R as well.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Just a couple more things; open the hood and tighten every hose clamp you can get to, not to tight but tighter then loose! Check all fluids, Get a seat cover for that expensive seat.
My fluids were low including the engine oil, every hose clamp was loose and the one by the exhaust is almost impossible to get to. Watch the radiator hose by the oil filter/ engine mount,, I had to put a piece of heater hose over that hose.. it was wearing thru rubbing on the engine mount bolt..
You'll love how that machine gets thru the snow, and start it at almost wide open throttle, if you don't it will soot up and run rough.. Don't believe the gas gauge either!!!
Good luck with the machine. Pretty soon you'll have it all tricked out..

·
Registered
2021 X738
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the advise on what to look at before I really start using it. I've created a checklist for this evening when I get home.

This machine will always be undercover except while in use, do you still think I need a seat cover? I just assumed they failed from sitting in the sun (UV damage).

How do you like the cab? I really debated on getting it but the dealer told me once they were installed that was it. I definitely don't think I'd want the cab for mowing in the summer.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
229 Posts
It is very good advice to check all the hoses foe loose clamps and slight leaking....not only above but underneath the tractor too.
Also check that none will rub against anything. I had to fix two hoses with this issue.
As for the hydro fluids....check it all the time as per the owners manual.
I have a new X758 with no leaks...I have had to top it off three times.
It changes depending on accessory hydraulics being put on taken off.
Not much but does at times.
Never have figured that one out.
I jusy want the fluids never low.
Do not overfill the trans either!
Read your owners book end to end a couple times.
Answers of questions can always be found here too.
I soon learned this site is the go to for any tough questions.
A lot of very smart people are here with fast correct answers!👍

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I appreciate the advise on what to look at before I really start using it. I've created a checklist for this evening when I get home.

This machine will always be undercover except while in use, do you still think I need a seat cover? I just assumed they failed from sitting in the sun (UV damage).

How do you like the cab? I really debated on getting it but the dealer told me once they were installed that was it. I definitely don't think I'd want the cab for mowing in the summer.
Well, mine is totally under cover; a cab and in the garage but, I still bought one and it's been a good thing, the smallest thing can cut the seat never mind oil etc. The covers come right off and in the washer they go. I'm just very picky with my "stuff" even my 450 E dozer is under cover. Every machine I own is garaged and somewhat clean.. I know,, they're machines, but to me keep them far away from weather and hopefully they will last longer. But, that's just me. and has been since I owned my first lawnmower, and that was a long long time ago! . I can't stand seeing my neighbor just shut his mower down and leave it in the middle of his yard for weeks! He can never borrow any tools from me!
I love the cab! Nice and warm in the winter with the heater. In the summer, you can take all the glass off in less then 15 minutes. Doors lift right off, the windshield; unlock the lift pistons, unplug the wiper motor, take a screwdriver to two screws and off that comes in less then 1 minute, the rear glass just unscrew the corner bolts and off that comes,, no problems at all. The most time taking it apart is spent walking to where you're storing the parts and putting your screwdriver and socket back in the tool box!
You don't want to take the entire cab off for the summer, the dealer was right. I have a smaller Husqvarna 24 horse with a 48" deck to get where the JD can't go because of the cab.. I enjoy mowing with that too.
I would never be without a cab, ever..
Enjoy. Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I abuse my seats!... Brand new side by side Kubota,, put a screw driver threw the seat...damn it...

Reactions: nastorino

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
FYI, if you do your service , quite easy IMO, when you grease your tractor. I checked the manual the first time I was doing service on SIL father x738. Noticed the grease locations and after pulling up on a ramp, set the brake and even blocked the rear wheels, crawled under the tractor and started greasing.
Check the driveshaft , his x738 has 2 grease fittings back on the ujoint nearest the transmission. Manual only shows ONE...

And Yes you will need the mmm removed ,, of course you would have figured that out. Plus a good time to grease the MMM spindles .

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
2021 X738
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All great information. Thank you all for the advice, it is much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts