Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I abuse my seats!... Brand new side by side Kubota,, put a screw driver threw the seat...damn it...
Seat cover wouldn't help much there. Unless you put it on afterwards to hide it. :)

Rob

Reactions: etcallhome and tj1

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X738
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You guys convinced me. Going to order a seat cover today. After spending big coin on the machine, a seat cover is nothing. It's worth the piece of mind.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
14 Posts
quite honestly a seat cover never makes much sense to me , People put covers on car seats and the car is wore out but the seats look perfect ! My 739 is kept inside and the seats look mint at 7 years old - if I wear them out will be happy to buy a new one that's part of maintaining the machine - the covers never look as good and the fit is loose causing a person to slide around . I would put a seat cover on when you don't want to invest in a new seat when it finally wears out . My 2 cents .

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
People put covers on car seats and the car is wore out but the seats look perfect !
In my younger years I always did that - a cover went on the seat of my pickup when I first bought it.

But then I finally asked myself why.....why I am saving the seat for the next owner? Why don't I just enjoy it for myself?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm also in the 'no seat cover' camp, for the reasons posted by Mr x739 and coaltrain -- and because imo they don't look as nice.

If it ever gets so it can't be cleaned, or if it ends up with physical damage, then it's decision time.
Replace cushions, or add a cover. Might have to consider the condition of the rest of the machine when making that decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You'll love how that machine gets thru the snow, and start it at almost wide open throttle, if you don't it will soot up and run rough.
Worst advice ever! You should never start ANY engine at full throttle! Unless of course you like premature wear and tear on your engine and your pockets are just so full of cash you don't care.

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
SIL 2305 is at least 13-15 yrs old, has set outside since new. I gave him a seat I had this past summer.
His dads x590 was close to 9 yrs old seat looked new ,except for a few dirty spots ,had close to 800 hrs. His x738 4 yrs old 300hrs like new.
My 1025r will be 6 yrs old with close to 600 hrs. ,seat looks new , yes some dirty spots.

My point , why cover its a

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
The JD seat covers don't really slide around as stated unless you slide your butt across the seat and even then they hold on pretty good, and they are not ugly. They also have storage on the back and side, gloves, cigar and lighter on the side, rags etc... Maybe the seat covers you speak of are cheapo and junk to begin with????
I never put one on my road vehicles but I am always working on something or stopping to pick up limbs etc. and have dirty hands and the cover I have gets pretty dirty and spoiled.. To each his or her own.. I wanted one on my 738 and bought one.. Happy I did and it is comfortable with the padding. Not trying to push a cover, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who did spring for a good seat cover! I believe as I stated in protecting my investments and a seat cover is a good and easy way to do so. Those top of the line seats are not cheap by any means! I did not settle for the cheap seat offered as an initial seat. I went with the best seat they sell.
Like I said, to each or her own.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Worst advice ever! You should never start ANY engine at full throttle! Unless of course you like premature wear and tear on your engine and your pockets are just so full of cash you don't care.
Deere's opinion:
(yes, those guys that put there money on the line with the 700 hour warranty)

• Lock park brake or depress brake pedal.

• MXT020612
      MXT020612-UN: Throttle lever Push throttle lever (A) up to between 1/2 and fast position.
    • Turn key to RUN position.
    • Check indicator lights:
      • Instrument cluster does a brief light check.
    • Turn key to START position:
      • Crank engine.
      • If engine does not start within 5 seconds, release throttle lever and turn key to STOP position and wait 10 seconds.
      • Repeat the procedure if necessary.
    • IMPORTANT:
      Avoid damage! Unnecessary engine idling can cause engine damage. Excessive idling can cause engine overheating, carbon buildup, and poor performance.
      When engine starts, release key and throttle lever. The key returns to the RUN position and all indicators illuminate.

These EFI engines start MUCH more smoothly using Deere's method, than with throttle at minimum.

I suspect the smooth start does less damage that the knocking and shaking they do when started with throttle at minimum. Cold started with low throttle also results in a stall, forcing another crank and more knocking and shaking.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Worst advice ever? You may want to read your owners manual and this conversation has already been beat to death.. I have a 738 and know for a fact you can't start that machine and have it run properly unless you are at almost full throttle. Prove me wrong. I also did not say full throttle not that it would matter anyway.
I would never advise anyone to do such a thing if it wasn't JD's words.
    • MXT013436
      MXT013436-UN: Remaining models with EFI engine shownPush throttle lever (A) up to between 1/2 and fast position.
    • Turn key to run position.
      • Instrument cluster does a brief light check
    • NOTE:
      You may not need to choke a warm engine.
      Choke engine:
      • Model X710 with cold engine - Push and hold up choke lever (B) all the way.
      • All remaining models with cold engine - Push and hold up throttle lever (C) all the way.
    • Turn key to start position:
      • Crank engine.
      • If engine does not start within 5 sec., release choke lever or throttle lever, turn key to stop position and wait 10 sec.
    • Repeat this procedure if necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on the new lawn tractor JJones04073 ! The JD literature says the rear fender deck is Rim ( composite ) rather than steel , would you be able to verify if this is the case ? I am hoping the x739 I have ordered is still steel .

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Deere's opinion:
(yes, those guys that put there money on the line with the 700 hour warranty)

• Lock park brake or depress brake pedal.

• MXT020612
      MXT020612-UN: Throttle lever Push throttle lever (A) up to between 1/2 and fast position.
    • Turn key to RUN position.
      • Instrument cluster does a brief light check.
    • Turn key to START position:
      • Crank engine.
      • If engine does not start within 5 seconds, release throttle lever and turn key to STOP position and wait 10 seconds.
      • Repeat the procedure if necessary.
    • IMPORTANT:
      Avoid damage! Unnecessary engine idling can cause engine damage. Excessive idling can cause engine overheating, carbon buildup, and poor performance.
      When engine starts, release key and throttle lever. The key returns to the RUN position and all indicators illuminate.

These EFI engines start MUCH more smoothly using Deere's method, than with throttle at minimum.

I suspect the smooth start does less damage that the knocking and shaking they do when started with throttle at minimum. Cold started with low throttle also results in a stall, forcing another crank and more knocking and shaking.
Thank you!!!! And you beat me to the post.. I wasn't going to let that one go... I'm not a schmuck who makes things up just to post something.

Reactions: x738

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Congrats on the new machine plenty of good advice here for a new owner. All the things I would have suggested already have been.

Check, all fluids and tire pressure.
If your tires were set to really high pressure you will likely need to re-level the mower deck as the height will be way off.

I never caught that about the throttle and start up, in my manual gonna have to head to the shed and take a look. Either I learned something new or am being reminded of something forgotten. Engine starts fine at low throttle so I never thought twice about it.

Don't have a seat cover. Coming up on 3 years old and 200hrs seat still looks good as new. Tractor is never stored outside. I like the idea of having storage pockets behind the seat back though plenty of stuff I wouldn't mind having a place to carry with me. Just might look into getting the seat cover just for that.

Another worthy mention for things to add is a steering wheel spinner. I love that thing. Not everyone loves them, but it's really handy when doing 3PH work when you often only have one hand on the wheel. Or any other time you may have another hand occupied holding on to something else.

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
Engine starts fine at low throttle so I never thought twice about it.
While I’ve never had a lawn tractor with a gas engine - any EFI engine I have ever used was always started at idle. I figured the computer controlled the fuel to the injectors for everything.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Congrats on the machine. You're going to greatly enjoy it.

I'm in the no seat cover camp as well. Imo they make a nice looking machine look sloppy. 180 hrs on mine and all I do is wipe the seat down occasionally and if I remember spray done protectant on. When you go to find the grease zerks you'll find that some don't actually exist unlike what the manual says. It's frustrating searching endlessly to realize you've been had.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
You would think an EFI engine would certainly take over, but it doesn't, especially when cold, 24 degrees cold. Even summer it has to be throttled up or is blows black soot, shakes, sputters and will eventually foul up the spark plugs and this has been going on since day one, and the manual tells you to throttle up between fast and full. I always thought starting an engine at a pretty quick RPM would do damage,, Apparently not, even my Generac 10KW generator starts at full throttle.. My dad always said to never start a car outside of idle and wait for the oil to get where it's needed. ????? who knows these days.
I would think the engine makers know what they're talking about and being an owner of a 738 I can say I definitely need to start mine exactly as the manual states.
Jeff

Reactions: nastorino

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
You would think an EFI engine would certainly take over, but it doesn't, especially when cold, 24 degrees cold. Even summer it has to be throttled up or is blows black soot, shakes, sputters and will eventually foul up the spark plugs and this has been going on since day one, and the manual tells you to throttle up between fast and full. I always thought starting an engine at a pretty quick RPM would do damage,, Apparently not, even my Generac 10KW generator starts at full throttle.. My dad always said to never start a car outside of idle and wait for the oil to get where it's needed. ????? who knows these days.
I would think the engine makers know what they're talking about and being an owner of a 738 I can say I definitely need to start mine exactly as the manual states.
Jeff
On my old craftsman that I learned to mow with back in the 90s it always had a dedicated choke spot 3/4 the way up the throttle. When the machine was hot I would start at half throttle.

I've always been taught similarly that unnecessary rpm should be avoided when the oil is cold. That being said my owners manual on the x758 says 1/2-3/4 throttle....Ive always done low throttle to 1/4 and no issue with starting as a result.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Holy crap, am I the only one that has a seat cover!!! I guess I'm in a league of my own.. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time. If I didn't have a cab I would not have a seat cover.... does that make sense?
Ugly? I don't think so, kind of flashy with the black and yellow borders!, (I'm partial to black and yellow having JD construction equipment), The wrinkles are the padding underneath.. and it's also going on 7 years old. I also like the storage it provides that the machine does not. I now say UNCLE..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Jeff
Sure enough I learned something new today. My manual says just what you said it did. Tractor didn't start any different and it's still around 20 degrees in the shed.

Guess I will have to remember the whole throttle thing when I go start it from now on.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts