Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

I've been in the process of purchasing a new x758. The dealer came to my house to deliver the unit a few days ago, but we both realized that at extreme low idle (lowest possible setting), there was a loud ticking/rattling noise coming from the steering area. My dealer took the tractor back and had the service department look at the issue. They contacted Deere and they were told that it is a known issue with the steering valve, but no solution has been made and it does not affect the functionality of the tractor. The publication from Deere is dated September 2016 and I have attached the documentation to this thread. Here is a video of the ticking/rattling noise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq8lyZSVUqM

Has anyone here with any x7 series, especially the x758, experienced this sound? It is prevalent at extremely low idle when the steering wheel is not being manipulated. My dealer spoke with the regional Deere rep and they're willing to extend the warranty to 5 years as I've dealt with some delays, as well. They are confident this noise does not affect functionality of the tractor. If they order another x758 from Deere, there's no guarantee this noise wouldn't be there. I'm just trying to make a decision on what to do, but I'm leaning towards taking the extra year of warranty coverage and dealing with the noise at the lowest idle setting. I imagine that it's a rare occasion that the tractor is used at the lowest idle setting.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2016 X-758 no noise yet at 178 hours . So far zero problems I mow 2 1/2 and do push snow but not a lot .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2016 X-758 no noise yet at 178 hours . So far zero problems I mow 2 1/2 and do push snow but not a lot .
Thanks for the response. Have you checked the mower at idle with the throttle at the lowest setting? Were you able to view the video I posted? That’s what the tractor sounds like at idle with the throttle all the way down.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Typically Deere will take care of you when a fix is available. Just make sure you are properly “on the record”, and I wouldn’t worry too much about it yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In response to your PM; Spent at least an hour at Idle this past month, wife driving me spraying from my tow behind 25gal sprayer. I also spent time at lowest rpm driving but did not notice anything unusual coming from the area you described. Let us know what you find out.
Phil

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Typically Deere will take care of you when a fix is available. Just make sure you are properly “on the record”, and I wouldn’t worry too much about it yet.
I appreciate the feedback. I think that if it ever became an issue with the functionality of the tractor, Deere would end up taking care of it.

In response to your PM; Spent at least an hour at Idle this past month, wife driving me spraying from my tow behind 25gal sprayer. I also spent time at lowest rpm driving but did not notice anything unusual coming from the area you described. Let us know what you find out.
Phil
Thanks for the information!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
PaulB my 2017 X758 that I got in June of last year has this exact same thing going on since day one. It's the most annoying sound I've ever heard. .5hrs on the clock and I began to disassemble the whole center column and trying to lubricate everything with lithium grease like they did at the plant. I cannot determine where the rattle comes from or solve it. The only way to prevent it is to not leave the throttle at the lowest setting, I bump it up one level and then the rattle goes away. I rather have increased fuel consumption just to prevent hearing that sound on a $15k tractor...

I never called my dealer on it. I did read a few other threads and forums that it's common but no one has determined the true cause or resolution.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PaulB my 2017 X758 that I got in June of last year has this exact same thing going on since day one. It's the most annoying sound I've ever heard. .5hrs on the clock and I began to disassemble the whole center column and trying to lubricate everything with lithium grease like they did at the plant. I cannot determine where the rattle comes from or solve it. The only way to prevent it is to not leave the throttle at the lowest setting, I bump it up one level and then the rattle goes away. I rather have increased fuel consumption just to prevent hearing that sound on a $15k tractor...

I never called my dealer on it. I did read a few other threads and forums that it's common but no one has determined the true cause or resolution.
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear the issue isn't isolated to my tractor, but would also like Deere to continue to pursue a resolution. The bulletin is from 2016 and there hasn't been a resolution yet.

If you do not call them , all of you, they are not going to figure it out !
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Without people reporting the issue in large numbers, I doubt Deere really has any motivation to find a resolution as it doesn't affect the functionality of the tractor.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I listened to my x758 today when I started it up to mow. No noises other than the noisy diesel engine running. Guess I'm lucky.

Rob

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear the issue isn't isolated to my tractor, but would also like Deere to continue to pursue a resolution. The bulletin is from 2016 and there hasn't been a resolution yet.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Without people reporting the issue in large numbers, I doubt Deere really has any motivation to find a resolution as it doesn't affect the functionality of the tractor.
I should call mine in. I'm not entirely fond of my dealer after the stuff I dealt with during my purchase. I wonder if I could call it into JD directly and go through a different dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I've been wondering what that rattle was and when I couldn't find anything I figured it would just go away after awhile.. Thanks for the post, I am calling my dealer today (so it gets on the books) even though I'm not fond of the dealership.. All they seem to care about is letting you know about the four hour trucking fees!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Those of you that frequently visit your John Deere dealer probably have notice the new personnel (employee(s) there. Yes, they are new as in hired yesterday. My JD dealer is no exception. So, when you have a problem such as "what is wrong" with my tractor... Generally the person will take a "walk around" the tractor, looking at the paint scheme, tires, etc... you get my drift. That is the first notice he is a new employee and will size you up thinking just how much you might know that is doesn't.

That is the case the OP here on his X758 on what he thinks is a "steering rattle". If you take a good look at the parts catalog on this model, you will find there is no part(s) that really could be called at rattle problem. A true rattle generally results from a "loose" part(s) that need tightening. If the rattle only occurs when the throttle is moved indicates it probably in the "internals" parts of the engine, or with some connection regarding the intake or exhaust system.

I would be looking at the intake or exhaust valves in the combustion chambers. Way to truly find this is my using a stethoscope and listening to the cylinder head areas.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The rattle is caused by the check valve in the steering valve. No fix they say.. Doesnt effect the steering operation they say.. Just saying.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm always amazed to read or hear that a product...such as a steering valve has "no fix". I'm the believer... "what man put together can be taken apart."

If this tractor was mine and I was told there wasn't a fix to a part on it, I would take that part and go direct to the manufacturer.

I'm not positive on this, but, I think the steering valve on the X758 is made by Eaton Corporation, of Eden Prairie, Mn., and I would remove it and call Eden and get a person to except it back and repair the what is called a "ticking/rattling" noise.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
I am pretty certain that my 455 diesel Lawn Tractor makes this same noise. But my tractor is 23 years old and has 2,600 hrs on it.

I always just increased the idle slightly. It appears what is happening is likely the vibration from the diesel, which is noticeable, is causing the check valve on the steering cylinder, which is positioned under the engine, to rattle. When you increase the idle, you smooth out the engine operation and the "rattle" goes away.

To be honest, I always assumed it's part of the normal diesel engine rattle (assuming we are hearing the same thing and I think we are....)

John Deere is certainly aware of it as indicated by the Memorandum. If it were me with the new tractor, I would agree to the extended warranty offer and move on, get it in writing, obviously.......John Deere's acknowledgement of the issue and the existence of the memorandum is enough for me to accept them at their word about dealing with the issue in the future. :good2:

I listened to your video several more times and I think its the same sound I have heard for YEARS and never gave it a thought.:unknown:

The valve in the steering cylinder makes sense. Also, I can tell you that I am not familiar with too many issues with this valve failing or even requiring repairs......While my tractors steering cylinder does have a different part number, the design is very similar to that used in the x758, so I have to think the issue could be the same. Also, any input into the steering wheel stops the noise, because it engages the valve. I never noticed the impact of the steering input before, but I almost always increase the throttle right away as i don't do anything with the tractor as it's lowest idle point other than let it idle........

I have to say that I think I learned something today about my old tractor I never knew.....not that i am going to do anything differently with the knowledge.......:dunno:

To the Original Poster on this thread, I would ask the part department at your new dealer to check in their system and see when they last sold a AM148274 (which substitutes for AM134431) so check both part numbers, as I have a feeling they rarely sell one of these valves, if they have ever sold one. Keeping in the same thought pattern, the steering valve for my tractor is part number AM148325, ask them how often they have sold that valve, as that fits my tractor and again, if they sell few or none of these, I wouldn't worry about part failure.........My tractor was part of the 425, 445, 455 series of machines and there are a lot of them out there, so if the part isn't frequently sold, it's obviously not a part prone to frequent failure, especially on a machine more than 20 years old.

I have always found that checking with the Deere dealers part department on the frequency of sale for a specific part is helpful when knowing whether that same part might be an issue on a machine i am working on. After all, if the part is sold often, clearly it's something that fails and needs to be replaced often, but on the other hand, if they rarely or never have sold one, it's unlikely the part is an issue. My dealer is part of a 17 store group owned by the same people, so when they look up a part number, they are giving me feedback for all of their stores, which is very helpful in the accuracy of the parts frequency of failure.

When I was rebuilding the Tuff Torq rear end assembly for my tractor, I made a list of parts and when it got down to some of the inner pump pieces and bearings, my dealer had NEVER sold one of them, and as it turned out, the same parts in my tractor when I tore it down for rebuilding were also still within the proper tolerances. It's helpful when planning a rebuilding project and ordering parts in advance.

It's NOT a means of diagnosing a parts failure or whether it's functioning correctly, but it is helpful to know whether others have had frequent failures of the same parts and needed to replace them.

Bottom line, Take delivery of your new tractor and enjoy it.
It's a great machine with tons of capability and you are really going to like it.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
My old X758 had this noise. I was told to ignore it. I did. Nothing bad happened. I hear from my dealer that the new owner loves it and has had no issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts