Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for a new mower for a few months now. Finally settled on a JD Z540M and picked it up this past weekend. Mowed with it last night. I have never actually mowed with a zero turn before. Drove my uncles a few times, and have a ton a time with a skid steer, but needless to say, I have some ZTRAK driving skills to work on. I also left a couple skids on the grass which will need patched - oops. Going a bit too fast!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Nice machine!

There’s an art to making turns with a zero turn. You actually can not make a true “zero” turn without tearing up the turf. It’s more of a pseudo 3 point turn.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am learning that. It probably didn't help I going faster than I should of been. In retrospect, I was probably more joy-riding than mowing, lol. It happens when you get a new fast cool mower!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Nice. I have the Z445 with 54” deck and love it. Cut my mowing time in half and on reason I went with it is no Rops due to all the fees I have. Don’t forget the Jd Mower app to keep track of you mowing.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Nice. I have the Z445 with 54” deck and love it. Cut my mowing time in half and on reason I went with it is no Rops due to all the fees I have. Don’t forget the Jd Mower app to keep track of you mowing.
Does that App have auto-steer with mapping so you can sit back and drink beer while it mows ??:laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
Congratulations on the new toy.

I really enjoyed the comment about joy riding.... Heck, I think I am still joy riding.

I went to the Dieselshadow Z turn driving school. He tried his best to show me that 3 point turn method. Apparently you have to be paying attention to what you are doing to pull it off. :hide:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
There was a dude here who put ag tread tires on his Z. He said it really helped with maneuvering and skid resistance.

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
There was a dude here who put ag tread tires on his Z. He said it really helped with maneuvering and skid resistance.
I am one of them.

It does help with traction.

Once little screw-up turning and you have more than some slicked off grass. :hide:

If you do start to get stuck, they also help to get you stuck deeper. :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to "debbie downer" the thread, but when I shared my purchase with my mother, she suggested getting side mirrors for it. I asked why, and then she reminded me about her friend at work. Her friend's husband had a large zero turn, and was mowing and didn't know his young son was running behind him until he felt a thud as he went in reverse. The guy ended up "mowing" off his sons foot at the ankle. That was years ago, but highlights the importance of operational safety, ESPECIALLY with kids, even if you think nobody is around. It's easy to criticize that he should of looked behind him, and he obviously should of, but how many people have not looked behind when going backwards in their yards in a zero turn? Something to think about!

I either get side-mirrors now, or I will get some resemblance of side mirrors for Christmas from my mother, lol.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Does that App have auto-steer with mapping so you can sit back and drink beer while it mows ??:laugh:
:laugh:I wish. If it did I’d fertilize :lolol:

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Not to "debbie downer" the thread, but when I shared my purchase with my mother, she suggested getting side mirrors for it. I asked why, and then she reminded me about her friend at work. Her friend's husband had a large zero turn, and was mowing and didn't know his young son was running behind him until he felt a thud as he went in reverse. The guy ended up "mowing" off his sons foot at the ankle. That was years ago, but highlights the importance of operational safety, ESPECIALLY with kids, even if you think nobody is around. It's easy to criticize that he should of looked behind him, and he obviously should of, but how many people have not looked behind when going backwards in their yards in a zero turn? Something to think about!

I either get side-mirrors now, or I will get some resemblance of side mirrors for Christmas from my mother, lol.
Kid and dogs were never allowed out of the house when I was mowing.

When I was mowing commercially I had one lady - she knew I was coming since I was mowing 3 places adjacent to her house. Kids outside playing with plastic toys strewn all over the place. I stopped and politely asked her to put the kids inside along with their toys. She got so mad at me for even suggesting such a radical thought. Bypassed that one that day.

Came back a couple days later parked the truck and trailer right in front of the house. Waited a few minutes - I know she saw me as she looked right at me a couple times. On I went and never went back.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think the HDAP tires would rip up the yard when even remotely wet.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,745 Posts
I would think the HDAP tires would rip up the yard when even remotely wet.
Ran these for years on the Toro.

All_Trail.jpg

Tried these first, worked ok for Spring time mowing but as soon as the ground dried out and became hard they weren't worth a damn.

Tires4_1.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Side mirrors may be worth the dough, however, you might look into some curb feelers if you get near curbs. It will protect those Knobby" tires.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the pictures. I will run my JD for a while with stock tires and see how she works.

Luckily I don't have any curbs on my street that I have to worry about, but I do have a kids playground area and a raised garden.

Reactions: 125914

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I will run my JD for a while with stock tires and see how she works.

Luckily I don't have any curbs on my street that I have to worry about, but I do have a kids playground area and a raised garden.
Use the stock tires. Guys who but AG or hdap tires on their Zero are nuts. There is a reason for the stock turf tires: They ride nice and they don't tear up your lawn!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts