Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brand new Deere Z945M EFI with a 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. Tweel rear tires and a suspension seat - $11,178.98 out the door less tax (we're ag exempt.)

I just finished mowing maybe a combined three acres of pasture, a barn area and a sort of "yard" . Lots of oak trees to dodge for some of that acreage and roads to mow around, etc. It took me about 90 minutes, maybe a little more to mow what was taking me half a day on the 46" Gravely Promaster 100 ZTR. I have about 500 operating hours on the Gravely so I was immediately productive on the Z Trak. When I would finish all of that mowing on the Gravely, I was tired and beat up - rigid seat with minimal padding. I felt like I could easily mow for several hours on the Deere and not feel that beat up.

What amazed me was how fast the 945M was - I mean maybe three times as fast as the Gravely. I was mowing in tall grass and weeds (like 24-30" tall) as fast as the Gravely would run flat out. I am really blown away and my only regret is I didn't buy this or one like it a few years ago. I literally hated mowing with the Gravely and put off mowing until I couldn't stand it any longer.

The 27 HP fuel injected Kohler was great - when I got in a really dense area of grass/weeds/wildflowers I could hear the engine go under load and quickly recover. Never did I feel like there wasn't enough power to cut a 60" swath while moving at a fairly decent speed. It would be interesting to compare the carb version to this EFI model. Oh, fuel burn - dealer filled the tank full and the gauge is maybe a couple of needle widths above 3/4 full.

All maintenance things are easy to access, very well thought out.

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stan. I forgot to comment on the Tweels, they are a winner. Traction is very good and they really soften the ride. I was thinking about ordering Z Glides for the fronts but now I’m not sure I need them.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
Congrats John! Looks like a really nice machine! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
Very nice machine. :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,824 Posts
Way to go John!!! :good2::good2:

Glad the tweels and suspension seat takes the edge off the ride.

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
Awesome machine John!

The only thing missing in the pics is mud.....
Got about as much chance finding good BBQ in Texas as you do finding mud......:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
Nice looking machine. :thumbup1gif:

Not surprised, but glad for you that it is more comfortable and productive.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Man that’s nice :bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
:bigthumb: :congrats: on the new mower u got. very nice -i really like the arm rests on it.:good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,745 Posts
Thanks for the write-up johncanfield, congratulations. :thumbup1gif:
Before we got our JD Z915B I thought our old commercial Toro Z-Master was the cat's pajamas, boy was I/we wrong. Technology sure changes things, by a lot.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
:thumbup1gif:Nice . Thanks for the write up was wondering how the tweels are. Thought about upgrading from my zturn but not now maybe a few years.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everybody for the nice comments! My wife even noticed that I didn't look beat up like I usually did mowing with the old Gravely (and my butt noticed!) I debated about adding an air suspension seat to the Gravely (or a better seat) but the incurable problem was the small deck size.

If anybody is considering going to Tweels, I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the ride quality improvement. I'm not mowing a nice yard and mowing on slopes, but for my property at least they really are great. I have twigs, rocks, places with some erosion, etc to bounce over (and I felt every one with the old Gravely) - an ideal situation for me to benefit from the Tweel.

When I was hauling the mower home yesterday I noticed a car that was going to pass me (4 lane highway) slowed down to probably look over the mower and its unusual wheels.

·
Corndog Hater
11,770 Posts
I'm not much for steering wheel-less machines, but that Z is one nice ride.:good2:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you were doing something other than a bunch of mostly straight mowing in squares or rectangles, etc a ZTR will outperform a traditional lawn tractor type mower hands down - not even a contest (I've had both.)

When I was shopping for my first commercial mower years ago in central Florida, I noticed what the commercial lawn guys were using when doing commercial properties. Probably 99% of them were using a ZTR and/or a rider (stand behind.) Of those two, a rider is probably much faster by the end of a work day for them because it's faster to step off the platform to pick up trash or move something out of the way to mow. But I didn't want to stand when mowing so I went the ZTR route.

When I mow long straight stretches with few trees to deal with, I'm in my air conditioned 4720 with the air suspension seat :thumbup1gif: .

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sharp Machine...

... Now go get the tweels for the front, and you will be set. I dragged my feet on front tweels, but ended up biting the bullet and grabbing the smooth/flat fronts. People either love or hate the tweels, which is cool, but I say they should be ALL or NONE. With this reasoning, you need the fronts to round out the package!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking about Tweels (or the Z Glides) for the front as a matter of fact. I read where the never-flat fronts that come on the Z900 series M/R provide a rough ride, I'm so thrilled with the overall improvement in my mowing experience I'm not sure how much the front never-flats contribute to what bouncing I do have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts