Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've operated several ZTR's, but now I'm a first time owner. We decided to put our large organic garden on hold to spend more time with the kids while they are young. So we traded in our 1025R for this beauty.

I still have a X590, and it took 4 1/2-5 hours to mow (depending on which direction). Last night, it took 1 hour and 50 minutes. I couldn't believe the difference. The suspension seat, along with the Tweels and ZGlide suspension, made for an extremely comfortable ride!

IMG_1545.JPG

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I've operated several ZTR's, but now I'm a first time owner. We decided to put our large organic garden on hold to spend more time with the kids while they are young. So we traded in our 1025R for this beauty.

I still have a X590, and it took 4 1/2-5 hours to mow (depending on which direction). Last night, it took 1 hour and 50 minutes. I couldn't believe the difference. The suspension seat, along with the Tweels and ZGlide suspension, made for an extremely comfortable ride!

View attachment 436042
Nice mower. What kind of tires do they put on the front casters? Do they hold air or flat proof like the back?
What size deck is the ZT vs the X590?

How old are the kids? Free child labor helps out an awful lot with a garden. Don't think you would be doing anything illegal as long as you own them. lol

Didn't you just buy that 1025R?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Did you add the front z glide suspension? Just wondering if you did a before/after comparison.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Awesome! 'Glad to hear its all you expected.

You folded your ROPS all the way down, like most folks. Mine contacts the rear of the machine when down and will undoubtedly rub the paint from the machine at the contact point not to mention rattle like a son of a gun. Is this the same with yours?

Matt

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts

View attachment 436042
Definitely a sweet looking machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ISPTrooper

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Very nice mower. Good luck with it :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Very nice. I like the tweels and the "R" series. The hydrolic deck lift is very nice. Enjoy and be safe. :good2:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice mower. What kind of tires do they put on the front casters? Do they hold air or flat proof like the back?
What size deck is the ZT vs the X590?

How old are the kids? Free child labor helps out an awful lot with a garden. Don't think you would be doing anything illegal as long as you own them. lol

Didn't you just buy that 1025R?
Fronts are flat proof. My X590 has a 54", and the Z950 has a 60".

We have 5 under the age of 13. The kids enjoyed the garden, seeing how the money went straight to them after I made the money I had put into it. But it got to the point where the younger ones asked me why I would go to work, then come home and always have to work. I've only been in our pool a few times this summer with them, and fished with them once, and we decided to focus on them while they're young and have a garden later. Not to mention the time I just gained by not being on a mower half of my day off.

Yeah we just got the 1025R last spring, but buying it used, I didn't lose a penny. My local dealer is awesome. The mower was over $14k, and with the local fair sale it dropped to where it was an even trade out the door.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you add the front z glide suspension? Just wondering if you did a before/after comparison.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
It came from the dealer installed, so really I can't compare it to anything other than the older 700 series I've ran before.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! 'Glad to hear its all you expected.

You folded your ROPS all the way down, like most folks. Mine contacts the rear of the machine when down and will undoubtedly rub the paint from the machine at the contact point not to mention rattle like a son of a gun. Is this the same with yours?

Matt
I'll probably just take it off. There were two spots on our property that concerned me, so I had it up and had the seatbelt on. But I'll have to mow them with the X590 now anyway. I noticed it sits really close, so I'm sure it would remove some paint.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Fronts are flat proof. My X590 has a 54", and the Z950 has a 60".

We have 5 under the age of 13. The kids enjoyed the garden, seeing how the money went straight to them after I made the money I had put into it. But it got to the point where the younger ones asked me why I would go to work, then come home and always have to work. I've only been in our pool a few times this summer with them, and fished with them once, and we decided to focus on them while they're young and have a garden later. Not to mention the time I just gained by not being on a mower half of my day off.

Yeah we just got the 1025R last spring, but buying it used, I didn't lose a penny. My local dealer is awesome. The mower was over $14k, and with the local fair sale it dropped to where it was an even trade out the door.
Hard to argue with that. I'm sure having extra veggies helped with all them mouths to feed. However working 24/7 also has its drawbacks. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. lol

The 13 year old should be about ripe for yard work. You know to help good old dad out. lol

Glad to hear you didn't take it in the you know what on the deal. Plus you still have the X590. You can always get some sleeve hitch attachments and put that to work. The 590 will also do better than the ZT for snow removal. Don't think they make or recommend putting chains on Tweels.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hard to argue with that. I'm sure having extra veggies helped with all them mouths to feed. However working 24/7 also has its drawbacks. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. lol

The 13 year old should be about ripe for yard work. You know to help good old dad out. lol

Glad to hear you didn't take it in the you know what on the deal. Plus you still have the X590. You can always get some sleeve hitch attachments and put that to work. The 590 will also do better than the ZT for snow removal. Don't think they make or recommend putting chains on Tweels.
My OCD is getting worse by the day, no way I can stand someone else mowing…at least in the front yard.

I still have all my sleeve hitch goodies for the 590. We will put out a few plants for ourselves and a few long term customers, but the nearly 1/2 acre just took too much time.

I have a 47" snowblower and an OTC cab with decent heat on the 590 as well, so I'm ready for the white stuff too.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'll probably just take it off. There were two spots on our property that concerned me, so I had it up and had the seatbelt on. But I'll have to mow them with the X590 now anyway. I noticed it sits really close, so I'm sure it would remove some paint.
I would keep the ROPS on and up all the time and the seat belt on.

I have a indent just the other day. I was mowing and caught the edge of a high root. Didn't see it and didn't know it was there.

The mower jump up enough that it cause me to push the right handle forward the mower shot forward to the right and bounce
enough that I thought it was going over. Nothing happen beside it scared that heck out of me.
I'm glade I had my seat belt and Rops on even though I did't need to use them in a roll over. They were there ready to save you life.

You have young kids and a wife. Work safe for them.

ZTR are fast mower and can get way from you if you not paying attention even on experience operator.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Personally I leave my ROPS up all the time. ROPS up and Seatbelt on. I guess if I parked it in a shed or garage that the door wasn't high enough to fit in with the ROPS up that would change my mind as it would get old putting it up and down all the time but that isn't the case for me.

I know you said you have used a ZTR before but one thing to watch with the trees is if you catch one with the ROPS or as mentioned above by a root, it can cause the machine to turn abruptly. We have a crab apple tree that had an arm that stuck out just right and I could catch the ROPS on it and it would turn me into the tree. I made a note of it as my one problem tree then oddly enough that arm fell off in a storm a couple months later so it is no longer an issue. Over time you learn where those problem areas are but out of habit you will watch down at the deck and not think to look up and what your ROPS might strike. Of course JD says to only run ROPS down when in trees for this reason. I haven't had any control issues but we have a lot of White Pines where the lower branches always dip way down so we are constantly trimming them higher and higher. They love to get hooked in the ROPS and smack me in the back of the head or rip off my hearing protection/Radio. :banghead:

I have been thinking about those front suspension casters but I would like to try a machine side by side. I also have the full suspension seat. Maybe I will stop by my dealer and see if they have put them on any machine. It is interesting that I had seen these in a John Deere Commercial a while back and was wondering if they were coming out on the Z Traks. I guess they are available now but not as a JD option so they are not JD Green.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/ztrs-commercial-turf-equipment/41961-front-caster-suspension-john-deere-ztrak-z960r.html

We have kids as well and while they run the golf cart (9 & 12) they are not operating either John Deere yet. I know when I was their age I was cutting grass and plowing on my dad's 317. My wife won't run the ZTR but did cut grass from time to time with the X585. When I brought it home she yelled at me because there was no steering wheel and she couldn't drive it. Realistically I don't cut the grass much. Of the hours on my Z950R I have only put a handful on myself. This year I might have put 10 hrs on it so far. We bought our house from my In-laws when they retired and moved to FL. However they keep their 5th wheel at our place year round as we have a pad with full hookups in the back yard. They use our place as a home base for trips for 6 months a year. So when they are in town, my FIL gets bored and cuts the grass while I am at work. My use is mainly limited to spring cleanup and the harvesting of leaves in the fall for the compost pile. I have cut the yard twice this year since they have been back. So the kids don't stand much chance getting some time.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Down the road the ROPS won't be an issue, as it will fit in our garage or barn with it up. But we have over 100 trees and bushes that will need major trimming before that happens.

ZGlide is an option at my dealership. Not sure on the particulars, but it sounds like they are one of the few dealerships that can offer that option.

https://youtu.be/Ld4jZhQpshw

I grew up on a farm, and still drive for a local company during planting/harvesting, but I'm also looking forward to enjoying my time off now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
But we have over 100 trees and bushes that will need major trimming before that happens.
Me too. The ol' RX75 could go under about anything but the Ztrak stands up much higher and with the ROPs, far too high.

I have my ROPS up but they're at the setting that angles it back and out at ~45deg when I mow. With it at that setting, I can go under most trees, at least the lower, swept back angle helps... and a flip back/roll is marginally protected against. Would not allow my youngest or wife to run my machine, at this point in their familiarity, with it on my hills with out it up all the way/seat belt. It's crazy responsive - the speed is not so bad after you get used to it, but that massive amount of torque on either wheel at any time could be a problem in a crisis.

I had passed off almost all of mowing on to my youngest before the ztrak. Now I have most of it back - but it takes no more than 2 hours a week.

Matt

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Down the road the ROPS won't be an issue, as it will fit in our garage or barn with it up. But we have over 100 trees and bushes that will need major trimming before that happens.

ZGlide is an option at my dealership. Not sure on the particulars, but it sounds like they are one of the few dealerships that can offer that option.

https://youtu.be/Ld4jZhQpshw

I grew up on a farm, and still drive for a local company during planting/harvesting, but I'm also looking forward to enjoying my time off now.
I guess I should clarify. It isn't a "Factory Option". I understand that now that it is available that dealers may install it for customers as a dealer upgrade. Kind of like how many truck dealers to things like spray in bedliners.

That said the Suspension Seat is technically a Factory Option not a dealer one. However my Z950R came with the base seat when it left the factory. In my negotiations I got them to upgrade the seat. Buying all the parts and retrofitting is technically possible but I want to say it would have cost me $800-900 and probably not worth it vs some of the other air suspension aftermarket options like the Puffer which is common on the 915B/E version which doesn't have a suspension option from the factory. I think with my machine they had a new machine that had come in with the Suspension Seat and they did a seat swap upgrading mine as it came in on a bulk commercial order that they had come in and they knew the commercial client wouldn't care if their employees had a suspension seat or not. Yippie for me!!!

Another thing you can do is shoot your dealer an email asking for the build sheet. They were able to go to some screen they have in their system which lists the build date and SN for all major assemblies on the machine. I have it tucked away with all the other data I have on my machine.

I beat them up pretty hard on the price of my machine. It helped that I have a cousin who is the store manager for a dealer in Southern MN. I was going to buy from him but he fed me info on what their likely invoice price was so I left them some meat on the bone while getting a good deal on a demo machine. It was a better price than I could have bought it from my cousin. The reasoning is he sells more combines than Ztraks. He is in an Ag zone so they sell the big machines. The dealer chain I bought from has a exclusive contract with most golf courses in the 5 state area. Add in commercial mowing services and municipalities. That means they sell a lot of commercial mowers. The more they sell the better invoice price they get from JD. He normally does orders of 150-200 Z9xx machines at a time. While they sell X series it is a small part of their business. Where my cousin's dealers are almost 100% big AG stuff. They probably would throw in a free Z950R or heck a Z997 to these big commercial farming operations when they buy a 5 pack of S-Series Combines.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts