1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
First I have heard of it. It may compete with the Kubota smaller diesel. Also being under 25hp no need to worry about the Teir 4 regulations

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First I have heard of it. It may compete with the Kubota smaller diesel. Also being under 25hp no need to worry about the Teir 4 regulations
That’s why it caught my eye. I don’t need a monster 997 and was looking at the Kubota. I haven’t compared price and features yet.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
25 horse diesel should spin a 60" deck without a problem and probably a lot lighter than a 997 with a 72" deck.

Looks more compact too.

Suspension seat seems to be a newer design than the one on my 997.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Have not seen one yet. Looks to be built on the mid frame Z900. We were always wondering when Deere would make a mid frame diesel.
We also wondered who the screw stick set up guy/salesman is that is gonna fill it up with gas! All we had was the 997 for diesel z turns and its hard to mistake that tank for anything else! Now this thing looks like yur typical Z900.. Hmmm. Should be intetesting! Lol. It's happened to Gators..

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Have not seen one yet. Looks to be built on the mid frame Z900. We were always wondering when Deere would make a mid frame diesel.
We also wondered who the screw stick set up guy/salesman is that is gonna fill it up with gas! All we had was the 997 for diesel z turns and its hard to mistake that tank for anything else! Now this thing looks like yur typical Z900.. Hmmm. Should be intetesting! Lol. It's happened to Gators..

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Happens with trucks too, a couple of years ago cousin's wife filled up his new Dodge Ram with the Cummins with gasoline, 3 - 4 grand if I remember right for the fix'en. :banghead:

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I was at my local JD dealer couple weeks past, the salesman that sold me my Z710A was trying to get me interested in the NEW 2019 Z700R series that will soon arrive. Also, he was talking about how John Deere has lost some 21% in their Zero Turn mowers the past two years. John Deere seems to have forgotten there are "others" Zero Turn brands on the market and many dollars cheaper to complete with. I would guess some higher upper bosses can figure how to drop the loss of sales by bringing back good quality mid size mowers to meet the competition.

We will see what happens and what results will come with the lower costs mowers that JD will put on the market.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
When I was at my local JD dealer couple weeks past, the salesman that sold me my Z710A was trying to get me interested in the NEW 2019 Z700R series that will soon arrive. Also, he was talking about how John Deere has lost some 21% in their Zero Turn mowers the past two years. John Deere seems to have forgotten there are "others" Zero Turn brands on the market and many dollars cheaper to complete with. I would guess some higher upper bosses can figure how to drop the loss of sales by bringing back good quality mid size mowers to meet the competition.

We will see what happens and what results will come with the lower costs mowers that JD will put on the market.
My local JD dealer sells way more Scag and Hustlers than JD models. I personally own a Scag Tiger Cat and love it.

Edit: Mine is a gasoline powered 22hp Kawasaki.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
My local JD dealer sells way more Scag and Hustlers than JD models. I personally own a Scag Tiger Cat and love it.

Edit: Mine is a gasoline powered 22hp Kawasaki.
Been seeing a bunch of new Toro ZT's in the neighborhood the last year or so.

The Deere dealer ain't got nothing they can compete with price wise at the dealership.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
That’s why it caught my eye. I don’t need a monster 997 and was looking at the Kubota. I haven’t compared price and features yet.
I might have been inclined to go this route when I bought my 997 5 years ago. It’s hard to appreciate just how much of an indestructible beast the 997 is until you operate one. The smaller one looks like a real handy size, but not a whole lot cheaper...or maybe it is compared to the new tier 4 997.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might have been inclined to go this route when I bought my 997 5 years ago. It’s hard to appreciate just how much of an indestructible beast the 997 is until you operate one. The smaller one looks like a real handy size, but not a whole lot cheaper...or maybe it is compared to the new tier 4 997.
I agree that the 997 is the ultimate mowing beast. But it would just be such overkill for my 3 acres of lawn. I’ve been eyeing the Kubota 60” diesel on and off - a lot more appropriate for my use. So this looked like Deere is pretty much matching that machine size.

Of course there are many gas mowers out there which would work fine for me. But I have an issue. I won’t buy any gas engine equipment since I store plenty of diesel in my bulk tanks. I will not go back to hauling 5 gallon jugs. I will do without before buying a gas mower.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The z994r was discussed/leaked out over at LawnSite a few months back before the actual JD launch. To me, its the cats meow. I researched a ton when shopping for a zero, and even though the JD ride is on the rough side, the quality of cut is superior to most competitors out there. If you are running 10 hour days, I can see the rough ride being a deal breaker, but in the end I could have bought anything, but choose a 930r because the cut is so nice. The 994r put a smile on my face, but I just could not justify the coin since I just use a zero around my manicured front lawn only. Still prefer the 3520 and 72'' MMM for all other mowing (which is alot). To me, even a full suspended zero falls way short of the comfort of a small tractor. But yea, that 994 looks awesome!

·
Registered
459 Posts
What is John Deere trying to tell us owners that have their Green and Yellow machines. The new 2019 Z994r with 60' deck lists for $17.999.00 for a 3 cylinder diesel engine. That is fine for the person with the big wallet. However, John Deere also sells the 2019 Z915e 60" deck for $8,999.00 with a 25 HP V-twin Kawasaki engine. Person in is right mind can surely think where his money is best spent....getting two (2) big Z915e to play with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts