Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 23x105.-12 Carlisle Turf Masters on my ZTR, they work fine and all but on some slopes I have they tend to slip.

Any recommendations on what to move up to for more traction without tearing up the lawn.

This is what I have Carlisle Turf Master

23.jpg

These are what I am looking at, any experience with either of these..

Kenda Terra Trac

1.jpg

CARLISLE ALL TRAIL

23 (1).jpg

I had HDAP's on my x748SE and they worked great, the 2 above look very similar

Reactions: Nagodesi

·
Registered
455 Posts
Before I would buy new knobby tires, I would look into this solution.

I have approx. 1200' of ditch that has about 45 degree incline. I tried mowing it with my Z710A with 54" deck and it made me nervous. Although, I wasn't sliding like you mentioned, but, it didn't go like I would like. I mow this ditch every time I mow the yard, and I do it with a 1999 JD345 with 54" deck and have no problem(s)

So, I thought it may be better just to widen the wheel track on the ZTR. I found the above (photo) 2" wheel spacers on the internet and installed them. It went very good in mowing the ditch and there wasn't any sliding or anything that made me nervous that the tractor was going to go it's own way. I since have mowed this ditch three times and will continue to do so until there is something that changes my mind.

So, widen the wheels on your ZTR may be the answer you are seeking instead of paying over $200.00 for new tires.

BTW: I think the type of grass you mow makes the wheel slide.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have stability problems with my mower but traction

·
Registered
23,289 Posts
As far as traction - have you tried lowering the air pressure to around 5# or so?

Also - didn’t see what model ZTR you have. Some of the bigger units you can add suitcase weights.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a green ZTR :)

It's a Husq PZT 60.

Adding weight would make it work, but I would have to add weight to the front also to make it stable.

I think it's simple traction...

As far as traction - have you tried lowering the air pressure to around 5# or so?

Also - didn’t see what model ZTR you have. Some of the bigger units you can add suitcase weights.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,091 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
So I have 23x105.-12 Carlisle Turf Masters on my ZTR, they work fine and all but on some slopes I have they tend to slip.

Any recommendations on what to move up to for more traction without tearing up the lawn.

This is what I have Carlisle Turf Master

View attachment 522650

These are what I am looking at, any experience with either of these..

Kenda Terra Trac

View attachment 522658

CARLISLE ALL TRAIL

View attachment 522666

I had HDAP's on my x748SE and they worked great, the 2 above look very similar
The Carlisle are the old style HDAP tires like I have on my X540.
The Kenda are the newest style offered on JD's garden tractors.
Either should work better than turfs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazon has the Carlisles with free shipping fro $89.00

The Kenda is $98.0

gonna save some money today :)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,091 Posts
Amazon has the Carlisles with free shipping fro $89.00

The Kenda is $98.0

gonna save some money today :)
Let us know how they work out for ya.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3 mowings now with the new rubber and I love them, better grip on sides of hills then what I had before.... I do need to be a little "slower" on my zero turns as these have more bite and can dig the ground up more...

Now I just need to find replacements for my fronts. Between last year and this year I have had 3 flats....

Let us know how they work out for ya.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,091 Posts
3 mowings now with the new rubber and I love them, better grip on sides of hills then what I had before.... I do need to be a little "slower" on my zero turns as these have more bite and can dig the ground up more...

Now I just need to find replacements for my fronts. Between last year and this year I have had 3 flats....
Good news.
First flat or slow leak I put tubes in the front tires/casters.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Is there an airless option for your fronts or can you fill them with foam? The fronts on mine are airless. The front tires on a Zero Turn are typically casters so they don't provide any traction. They are just there to hold the front end up. The only time you really need to put ballast on the front is if you load the rear so much that it wants to do a wheelie. I know you said your traction issues are resolved but if they creep up again you could do fluid in the tires. That wouldn't cause an issue where you need front weight. It is more when the weight is hanging off the back of the machine like with a collection system.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Airless is what I'm wanting to go to.. looking at those options

Is there an airless option for your fronts or can you fill them with foam? The fronts on mine are airless. The front tires on a Zero Turn are typically casters so they don't provide any traction. They are just there to hold the front end up. The only time you really need to put ballast on the front is if you load the rear so much that it wants to do a wheelie. I know you said your traction issues are resolved but if they creep up again you could do fluid in the tires. That wouldn't cause an issue where you need front weight. It is more when the weight is hanging off the back of the machine like with a collection system.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 30 Posts