Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 74 JD 110 with a loader on it. Need work but goes up and down. It is a start of a new project. I have a 72 JD 110 that I totally redid in the early 90's. I have seen several 210 / 212s for sale in the area and wondered if this loader that fits a 110 would fit on a 210 or a 212. Would that be a better project?

Here is a photo of the loader on the 110. I don't know enough about the different size tractors.

IMG_0112.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
There are no advantages to a 210 or 212 vs your 110. It’s the same running gear, wheels are interchangeable, the operators station layout has no significant differences. The steering is nearly identical.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I guess HP is more the question. Without sounding dumb is 2 or 4 more HP worth it?
Not for what you can safely lift in it. Even properly weighted, the tractor has a small footprint and the c/g will be high with a load in the bucket. Given what I could lift with the 45 loader on my X7, that loader will probably pick up a couple hundred pounds at best. I'd fix it up nice and take it to tractor shows, small GT's look cool with a loader.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Not for what you can safely lift in it. Even properly weighted, the tractor has a small footprint and the c/g will be high with a load in the bucket. Given what I could lift with the 45 loader on my X7, that loader will probably pick up a couple hundred pounds at best. I'd fix it up nice and take it to tractor shows, small GT's look cool with a loader.
That loader is much stronger than you think. It should lift about 500lbs. I could lift more with a Johnson then I could with a model 40 on a 445, and it didn’t need to be throttled up to max out.

That said, I think 8hp is more then enough for that setup. If the op needs more power he would know it and not be asking.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That loader is much stronger than you think. It should lift about 500lbs. I could lift more with a Johnson then I could with a model 40 on a 445, and it didn’t need to be throttled up to max out.

That said, I think 8hp is more then enough for that setup. If the op needs more power he would know it and not be asking.
Mine (45 on X748) topped out at 450 pounds (measured by fertilizer bags), then the PRV would open; I never shimmed it. I'd hesitate to try lifting 500 pounds with a 100 or 200 series, though. By the time you have enough ballast as counterweight, you've overloaded the axles; the 110 only weighs 550 lb and the 200's about 650-675. Putting 500 pounds + the loader weight out in front and driving it around would be hard on the equipment, IMO, even if it was able to pick it up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As has been said, they are both pretty much the same tractor. Personally I much prefer the stying of the 110/112 over the 200 series. That loader looks really cool. Need some more pics of it! Is that a factory hydro lift tractor or does it have some other pump installed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all in info. The loader has a small pump that runs of the pto. I’ll get some photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Mine (45 on X748) topped out at 450 pounds (measured by fertilizer bags), then the PRV would open; I never shimmed it. I'd hesitate to try lifting 500 pounds with a 100 or 200 series, though. By the time you have enough ballast as counterweight, you've overloaded the axles; the 110 only weighs 550 lb and the 200's about 650-675. Putting 500 pounds + the loader weight out in front and driving it around would be hard on the equipment, IMO, even if it was able to pick it up.

The frame is 1/4 steel, and the transaxle is built for up to 40 hp, the front axle were the weak point until 72 when they moved from 3/4” spindles to 1”.

The ability to turn the steering wheel limits the capacity more then any potential part weakness.

I would liked to see scale data to back 100 lb difference, kohler added some tin, Deere added side panels, and a slightly larger fuel tank, but stripped of the body the late 110 and the replacement 200 series are basically identical.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would liked to see scale data to back 100 lb difference, kohler added some tin, Deere added side panels, and a slightly larger fuel tank, but stripped of the body the late 110 and the replacement 200 series are basically identical.
The hood is much heavier, there is a bit more in some places on the frame, mainly around the steering box mount, a few other things were tweaked. A 200 and 300 series hood ways like twice that off a 100 series hood. Also, that added weight comes from what you said, the thicker engine tins, the side panels, and the fuel tank.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I was going by Tractordata for the machine weights, which are the bare tractor without deck or add-ons. I've owned two 112's, and currently own two 200's, and there is a distinct difference in the weights. I'd hesitate to carry more than a couple hundred pounds in a loader on them just because of the wheelbases, not their total strength. Ability to withstand horsepower doesn't equate to frame or axle loading. It might be fun to see how much you can do with a small garden tractor, and be surprised at how much they can do, but it's not practical from a safety or reliability standpoint. It's one reason I traded my X7 for a compact.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I was going by Tractordata for the machine weights, which are the bare tractor without deck or add-ons. I've owned two 112's, and currently own two 200's, and there is a distinct difference in the weights. I'd hesitate to carry more than a couple hundred pounds in a loader on them just because of the wheelbases, not their total strength. Ability to withstand horsepower doesn't equate to frame or axle loading. It might be fun to see how much you can do with a small garden tractor, and be surprised at how much they can do, but it's not practical from a safety or reliability standpoint. It's one reason I traded my X7 for a compact.
If you want to put up an x7xx I’ll donate a 110 and we can load test them.

Outside that I’ll respectfully disagree with your opinions.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I just checked a couple manuals.

The square fender manual lift 8hp 110 is 623 lbs, a manual lift 210 is 645.

22 lbs difference which is just about what I expected. The block on a k241 is also larger so the difference in 8hp to 8hp would be even less.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have enjoyed the conversation. I have a very small yard with a small garden and I think based on what every one is saying that the 110/112 with a little loader will be just fine. And I do agree they make a nice conversation starter. Much like when some one sees a restored 110 withs it’s 8hp engine and they say that’s bigger than the junk at the big box store with a bunch of plastic and an overrated 2xhp something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would think for a small yard your machine will serve you well. "If" it only lifts a couple hundred pounds, thats a couple hundred pounds you don't have to put on your shoulder. Use it for what it is and use it safe. Just make more trips.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have enjoyed the conversation. I have a very small yard with a small garden and I think based on what every one is saying that the 110/112 with a little loader will be just fine. And I do agree they make a nice conversation starter. Much like when some one sees a restored 110 withs it’s 8hp engine and they say that’s bigger and more capable than the junk at the big box store with a bunch of plastic and an overrated 2xhp something.
Note my addition in bold ^
If what you want from a loader is to spread mulch and compost, and haul bags of fertilizer from A to B, it'll be fine. Just don't expect to be able to dig much, even if you add a toothbar to the bucket, and be very careful with any load raised to the limit of the boom. Inflate your front tires to their limit to make steering easier with a load in the bucket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts