Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum. Am anxious to learn from others and contribute where I can.
I have a GT262 with the 17hp Kawasaki engine. The tractor starts right up every time and runs for...for about 45 min.
After around 45 min, it sputters and shuts off. I can immediately start it again...and can keep it running for a few seconds by choking the throttle...but eventually shuts off. I wait 10-15 min...and it will start up and run fine for the rest of my cutting (which could be over 45min). Any idea on what is going on? Heat related? Electronic ignition acting up once the heat increases? Any suggestions to look into would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Start with inspecting the gas cap. If it has a vent hole, make sure it is clear. Should be able to blow through it fro the outside. Some of the tractors now use another way to vent the gas tank, but I think yours still vents thru the cap.
Theory is, as the engine uses fuel from the tank, especially a full one, a vacuum is formed if not vented. Gas will not flow or the fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum. Engine quits. Let it sit and the vacuum eventually goes away. If the tank is full, it won't take long for this to happen. With only a half tank, it takes much longer.
You very well might have a heat soak problem with an ignition component, or something else in the fuel system. The fact that you can mow for a much longer time after restart is why checking the vent first is an easy place to start.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight Tommyhawk.... Appreciate it.
Yes... I have a pin hole in the center of the outside of the gas cap.
On the inside of the gas cap it looks like there is a little plastic piece that appears to be perhaps spring loaded inside the cap. I can stick a very small screwdriver in the hole from the outside and feel it hit the plastic piece in the cap.
I cleaned it out as best I could... I'll see if there is any difference next time I mow.
Thanks!

·
Registered
26,498 Posts
Thanks for the insight Tommyhawk.... Appreciate it.
Yes... I have a pin hole in the center of the outside of the gas cap.
On the inside of the gas cap it looks like there is a little plastic piece that appears to be perhaps spring loaded inside the cap. I can stick a very small screwdriver in the hole from the outside and feel it hit the plastic piece in the cap.
I cleaned it out as best I could... I'll see if there is any difference next time I mow.
Thanks!
Try just running the tractor with the gas cap loose - same effect.

·
Premium Member
12,954 Posts
I have a feeling you are headed in this same direction as the other GT262 owner on a recent thread. Just keep this in mind when considering the issues. Usually, a heat induced failure will respond much like you describe. In some cases, the electrical components slowly "fail", which I think might be the case in your machines issues, and in other cases, the machine just stops......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks SulleyBear..... Yep... tractor is still behaving the same....shuts off after about 30-45min....
I loosened the fuel cap, etc... so, it looks like that wasn't the issue....so, I'm guessing some electrical components are starting to fail. Any suggestions on what to look into first? Thanks...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts