Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in the New Member section but someone suggested I post here as well.

Hi gang! Total newbie here. I have never owned a tractor. However, we keep running into situations where a tractor sure would be handy on our 6 acres which is all mowable yard/pasture. We have a zero turn for mowing. As I thought about how I might initially use a tractor, it basically came down to FEL work, occasional mowing, driveway maintenance and some fill in/ground leveling projects.

I searched for months for a used tractor to meet my needs. However, as we know, used ones are pretty pricey and never exactly what you're looking for. So, I finally resigned myself to buying a new machine. Kubota, Mahindra and JD were on the final list. After extensive research, I chose the 1025R with an FEL, MMM and box blade as my first tractor. It is to be delivered next week. I vacillate between being super excited and feeling like I am in over my head.

After hours on GTT, I have already discovered a few things that seem to be "must do" such as Ron's Hooks for the FEL, 18 inch flexible whips for my grease guns and the 1025R service manual.

What else should I be thinking about? Any advise is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

·
Administrator
20,865 Posts
Kenny will have a laugh at being called Ron. :laugh: It's Ken's Bolt-on Hooks. :thumbup1gif:

I highly recommend you look into getting a ballast box, Heavy Hitch, or another means of rear ballast to offset the weight and use of the loader. Here's some good reading. What is rear ballast and why do I need it?

Read your manual, read your manual, and then read your manual. :lol: Seriously, read it before you get it, then review it again after you've had it for a few days. You'll be amazed to learn what you were told but already forgotten or missed.

Another rule you must remember, ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. They work together.

Enjoy yourself here and ask as many questions as you can. :thumbup1gif: And congrats on your new :greentractorride:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kenny will have a laugh at being called Ron. It's Ken's Bolt-on Hooks. 1gif:

I highly recommend you look into getting a ballast box, Heavy Hitch, or another means of rear ballast to offset the weight and use of the loader. Here's some good reading. What is rear ballast and why do I need it?

Read your manual, read your manual, and then read your manual. Seriously, read it before you get it, then review it again after you've had it for a few days. You'll be amazed to learn what you were told but already forgotten or missed.

Another rule you must remember, ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. They work together.

Enjoy yourself here and ask as many questions as you can. 1gif: And congrats on your new :greentractorride:
Welp as being a new owner myself... Dieselshadow has summed it up!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
The safety issues DS mentions are priceless. I would also suggest a toothbar for your FEL seeing how it looks like you didn't get a backhoe. A lot of people really like the Piranha Toothbar

·
Registered
79 Posts
I posted this over in the New Member section but someone suggested I post here as well.

Hi gang! Total newbie here. I have never owned a tractor. However, we keep running into situations where a tractor sure would be handy on our 6 acres which is all mowable yard/pasture. We have a zero turn for mowing. As I thought about how I might initially use a tractor, it basically came down to FEL work, occasional mowing, driveway maintenance and some fill in/ground leveling projects.

I searched for months for a used tractor to meet my needs. However, as we know, used ones are pretty pricey and never exactly what you're looking for. So, I finally resigned myself to buying a new machine. Kubota, Mahindra and JD were on the final list. After extensive research, I chose the 1025R with an FEL, MMM and box blade as my first tractor. It is to be delivered next week. I vacillate between being super excited and feeling like I am in over my head

After hours on GTT, I have already discovered a few things that seem to be "must do" such as Ron's Hooks for the FEL, 18 inch flexible whips for my grease guns and the 1025R service manual.

What else should I be thinking about? Any advise is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Just MHO but get a set of forks, you wont regret it. your first thoughts will be "why would I need them" but when you get them you will see why.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Welcome from Illinois No such thing has a Stupid Question here. Saftey is the main concern around here, Like others say "Read Your Manual:good2:

Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you have a zero turn I would have dropped the MMM and added an I-Match and ballast box and forks. Grab one of the pistol grip grease guns at yur dealer. Any of em are good. As you mentioned, the tech manual is a no brainer. Make sure you get a full demo ftom your dealer of YOUR machine upon delivery. Make them remove and reinstall all attachments. Then you do it. Any problems.. Have em take it back to be corrected. Check for cosmetic fit and finish. If not up to your standards.. Reject and try again. These are just some lil annoying things I see on a daily basis. Don't sign the papers until yur 100%.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kenny will have a laugh at being called Ron. :laugh: It's Ken's Bolt-on Hooks. :thumbup1gif:

Read your manual, read your manual, and then read your manual. :lol: Seriously, read it before you get it, then review it again after you've had it for a few days. You'll be amazed to learn what you were told but already forgotten or missed.

Enjoy yourself here and ask as many questions as you can. :thumbup1gif: And congrats on your new :greentractorride:
Already made a newbie mistake. My apologies to Kenny! I get the impression that I should read my manual:good2:

I'll read the thread about ballast. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The safety issues DS mentions are priceless. I would also suggest a toothbar for your FEL seeing how it looks like you didn't get a backhoe. A lot of people really like the Piranha Toothbar
I looked at the Piranha. I'm recovering from sticker shock but will add it to the wish list.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have a zero turn I would have dropped the MMM and added an I-Match and ballast box and forks. Grab one of the pistol grip grease guns at yur dealer. Any of em are good. As you mentioned, the tech manual is a no brainer. Make sure you get a full demo ftom your dealer of YOUR machine upon delivery. Make them remove and reinstall all attachments. Then you do it. Any problems.. Have em take it back to be corrected. Check for cosmetic fit and finish. If not up to your standards.. Reject and try again. These are just some lil annoying things I see on a daily basis. Don't sign the papers until yur 100%.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
I hear you on the MMM. It would not have been on the top of my list. However, that was the only request from the boss. The zero turn was out of commission a couple times this year so she wanted a backup. If it makes her happy then so be it.

I'll be sure to check it out carefully. My guess is the delivery guy is going to be here a while! Thanks!

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
I looked at the Piranha. I'm recovering from sticker shock but will add it to the wish list.
I have a WR Long toothbar and have had it since before a lot of guys started getting the Piranhas, so I have no idea of cost on a Piranha. My WR Long is built like a tank, but I can't recall how much it cost. It is a traditional toothbar and I bought it through my dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just MHO but get a set of forks, you wont regret it. your first thoughts will be "why would I need them" but when you get them you will see why.
I can see how they could be very useful. Added to my list. It appears I had better start saving up for more implements. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a WR Long toothbar and have had it since before a lot of guys started getting the Piranhas, so I have no idea of cost on a Piranha. My WR Long is built like a tank, but I can't recall how much it cost. It is a traditional toothbar and I bought it through my dealer.
Sounds like a good alternative. Just to clarify, the sticker shock was not on the toothbar but on the initial package. I think I got a decent deal overall but it still is quite an investment. I'll get a little seat time then consider what's next.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
congrats and welcome!

I understand the "in over your head" feeling from other experiences, like when I bought my first house, exciting yet scary.

Read the owners manual, ALWAYS engage/disengage the pto at engine idle, make sure you are dead still and feet off the drive pedals before moving the Low-Neutral-High lever, leave it in 2wd unless you NEED the 4wd traction, check your fluid levels often, watch for anything leaking, loose, cracked, broken, missing while it's under warranty, let it warm up a few minutes before you work it hard, BE CAREFUL.

I forgot to add...and have fun!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
congrats and welcome!

I understand the "in over your head" feeling from other experiences, like when I bought my first house, exciting yet scary.

Read the owners manual, ALWAYS engage/disengage the pto at engine idle, make sure you are dead still and feet off the drive pedals before moving the Low-Neutral-High lever, leave it in 2wd unless you NEED the 4wd traction, check your fluid levels often, watch for anything leaking, loose, cracked, broken, missing while it's under warranty, let it warm up a few minutes before you work it hard, BE CAREFUL.
Thanks! All good advise! I understand these are serious machines and carelessness will get someone hurt. I'll go slow.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I hear you on the MMM. It would not have been on the top of my list. However, that was the only request from the boss. The zero turn was out of commission a couple times this year so she wanted a backup. If it makes her happy then so be it.

I'll be sure to check it out carefully. My guess is the delivery guy is going to be here a while! Thanks!
Good Man !!! Cause as we all know "if Momma ain't happy , ain't nobody happy" . Good luck with your new machine !!! :kidw_truck_smiley:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts