Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for 2025R TLB for 12 acres (only 6 field rest forest). Got two estimates 30K before tax for TLB + 60D deck + R4 tires.
Intent to also do some grading for a new house we are building and may be on that lot. Not sure if I should get bb5048L box grade?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,231 Posts
Sounds a little high in price for me but everything is up and I have not priced one so yeah but other than that sounds decent

·
Registered
46 Posts
Price seems fine based on what you’re buying, assuming you’re getting it new.
I got a 2025R a year ago and have some advice based on my experience:

Get the box blade. It’s my cheapest and most used attachment. Absolutely necessary for dirt work and driveway maintenance.

Do not buy a mid-mount mower deck. The 2025R is too big for lawn mowing and too heavy to be driving over your future septic field regularly. If you want an expensive lawn mower that you can call a tractor, get a 1025R. For the cost of the drive over mower deck you can buy a JD riding mower AND a 3 point brush hog (rotary cutter) for your tractor. This will allow you to do heavy mowing with the brush hog and lawn mowing with the lawn mower. The drive over deck doesn’t do either as well as the specialized (and cheaper) options. This also means you won’t run up the hours on your tractor mowing the lawn.

Get the R3+ tires (Galaxy Garden Pro) if you can. They are better than the R4s on mud and snow and won’t tear up your grass. If you do decide to get the mid-mount mower and do your finish mowing with your tractor, these tires are a must. I’ve used R4s in the past and the R3+ are better in every situation I’ve encountered.

Get the dealer to fill the rear tires with ballast.They should include this at no cost to you to secure the sale.

Call both dealers, tell them the other dealer’s price, and ask them to beat it if they want your business. Repeat until minimum price achieved.

I spent a few months talking to several dealers this way and here’s what I got for $20,000 in December 2020 (all new equipment and West Coast prices):
2025R with loader
Box blade 48”
Brush hog (rotary cutter) 48”
Rototiller 48”
Filled tires and delivery included for ‘free’ once I had the two final dealers down to the same price.

FYI- four dealers each quoted me over $30,000 for this package when I started shopping. There’s a lot of room to negotiate built into those MSRPs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Price seems fine based on what you’re buying, assuming you’re getting it new.
So the price that I was quotes for brand new 1025TLB $23.5k 2025TLB $26k --- $2500 difference without 60D. 60D is extra $2400. The only reason I am contemplating midmower is the wife factor. She like to mow the lawn, I do not think she could attach a rotary cutter or flail mower. but I do not know. We are working on new house .. so I think I need the Backhoe.

Thinking of getting the 3rd function as well. Two of mines - tried to include some extra bogus fees. One includes massive setup and delivery 1.3k lol. Told him NO. Other tried mechanical lift for 60D - $875 (no part number so my guess it is bogus).

Anyway any recommendations on 2025r vs 1025r?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Setup fee for a 3rd function is going to be alot. It's a strip tractor down to the frame installation.
The mower deck requires an additional lift assembly to be purchased depending on hydraulic lift or mechanical attached to the 3 point lift.

None of those are bogus charges. If you want to install the 3rd function yourself you will spend all day doing it and creating new swear words along the way but save a few pennies.

As for 1025 vs 2025. Same loader ,engine , and backhoe. Different tires which gives a slightly better ground speed while traveling around....
Not enough difference to matter.

Reactions: justaguy

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
+1 on the R3’s. The radials are awesome.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love my 2025r mid-mount mower (I still use my 445 for mowing under some trees - 60" deck on that too). I have the radials, FEL, 1,000 lbs. ballast (cast weights in ballast box), wheel weights.

The main reason for the purchase was the Load-n-Go so I could drive off the deck, attach the loader, pick up the deck, NOT HURT MY BACK! Now also use it to lift the 445 deck for maintenance (using a chain).

I like the larger format of the 2025r vs. 1025r. I did add 2" wheel spacers which made a huge difference in stability.

·
Registered
46 Posts
“Anyway any recommendations on 2025r vs 1025r?”

I think the extra size and weight of the 2025R is definitely worth the cost for moving dirt and rocks. Price you’re getting seems very good with the backhoe.

If you think you’ll mostly be mowing, then get the 1025 (or a dedicated mower). The 1025 I tested felt about the same size as my lawnmower (I’ve had two 100 series JD riders), but with a rougher ride. The 2025R is way too big to quickly/easily navigate the areas around my house that I consider lawn.

Sounds like you’re starting with raw land, in which case you’re probably years out from using a mid-mount mower anyways. As for the wife factor, is she going to want to disconnect the backhoe and front end loader, then do the drive over deck connect? It might be a hard sell to the wife that it would make the most sense to buy a tractor and a mower, but the price is comparable and a stand alone mower is way easier to operate, and can have low pressure tires for a much smoother ride than a compact tractor.

Be sure budget for any new tools you’ll need for maintenance!

·
Registered
2022 X350
63 Posts
Call both dealers, tell them the other dealer’s price, and ask them to beat it if they want your business. Repeat until minimum price achieved.
I tell you hwat, nothing annoys a dealer/salesperson more than a customer who keeps pushing and pushing for less and less. I totally get asking for a discount or best price, but when you overdo it, it tends to grow old quick.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’ll tell you waht, salesPerson Toonzy, nothing annoys me more than someone who I don’t even know thinking that I should give them an extra $10,000 of my money so that they can do less work at their job. If you don’t want to be annoyed by haggling, then simply start by telling customers the real price, not $10,000 more than the real price.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I’ll tell you waht, salesPerson Toonzy, nothing annoys me more than someone who I don’t even know thinking that I should give them an extra $10,000 of my money so that they can do less work at their job. If you don’t want to be annoyed by haggling, then simply start by telling customers the real price, not $10,000 more than the real price.
10k lol. It's very unlikely in today's market that you'll get very much negotiated off. They have more buyers than product but if you want to make some salespeople laugh go ahead and try for $10,000 less 🤣

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not enough difference to matter.
You have obviously never used one. There is a significant difference in visibility and ground speed, and there is somewhat increased loader lift and digging ability.

If your going to primarily mow id recommend a 1025, if your going to use it as a tractor id recommend the 2025.

If your doubtful about the mower id skip it.

Id think long and hard about a backhoe you think you might need. Its a lot of money for something you might not use at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad you got a laugh trav. (Did you overpay for your tractor?) I was merely relaying my experience of buying the same tractor that the OP is thinking of buying. Three of the four John Deere dealers I talked to came down by MORE THAN $10,000 from their initial price quotes of over $30k. Interestingly, all of the initial prices were within $1,000 between dealers.

I wouldn’t advocate starting your haggling by asking for a 33% discount, but that’s what I got and 3 out of 4 of dealers were willing to offer it. The final sales paperwork came directly to me from JD corporate, so clearly this price was approved by someone higher up.

Sales people sure love suckers.

I didn’t even have to ask for money off, simply ‘why should I buy from you if the other guy has the same package for a few hundred dollars less?’

·
Registered
2022 X350
63 Posts
If you don’t want to be annoyed by haggling, then simply start by telling customers the real price, not $10,000 more than the real price.
We don't do this. At the dealership I work at at least, we price them at slightly less than RRP plus PD costs. There is nothing wrong with a bit of haggling to a point, though Trav is right, we have very limited lifestyle stock but a lot of demand. When a dealership has such limited stock, they can't afford to do drastic discounts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We already have x320 but mowing 6 acres takes whole day.

>Setup fee for a 3rd function is going to be alot. It's a strip tractor down to the frame installation. If you want to install the 3rd function yourself you will spend all day doing it and creating new swear words along the way but save a few pennies.

My understanding You can get the third function by selecting: BLV11143 and BXX10268 from the factory.

The mower deck requires an additional lift assembly to be purchased depending on hydraulic lift or mechanical attached to the 3 point lift.

Man, I have to spend $865 on mechanical lift? Was included with the other tractor MMM purchase. Would hydrolic be better?

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a newer owner of a 2025R I am glad I paid the additional money to get the larger machine. Now that I have spent time on the 2025R I went back to the dealer for some parts and sitting on the 1025R there is a significant difference to me just sitting on them. In looking at the price difference and owning the 2025R I have to ask the question of why wouldn't you go for the 2025R if you can afford a few thousand more on the financing. The increases you get on the 2025R I think are well worth it. The different rear axle with greater capacity is nice. A decent increase in FEL lift is a thumbs up for me. Obviously the larger tires give a better ride, more ballast when filled and greater ground clearance. Add the additional ballast in the tires with the greater weight of the tractor and you get a significant advantage over the weight of the 1025R. The ride and view of the 2025R is so much better too!

Small things I've noticed is an additional step on the front, plus an added hand grab on the ROPs with my 2021 model BH.

Again, just me, but if the few thousand is not an issue then I would sign for a 2025R again right now if I was doing it all over again.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I own a 2025r with a 60” mid mount. I think in an ideal world a zero turn and a separate tractor woukd be the way to go. Can you afford a separate machine, do you want to maintain it, do you have a place to store it, I had a Kubota before, similar in size to a 1025r in size, I like the 2025r much better for mowing. The larger tires make for a little better ride and it doesn’t tear up my yard any more than my Kubota did.

·
Registered
2019 2025R with Loader, Backhoe, 54D Mower, Forks, Rear Snowblower, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, QH
131 Posts
As a newer owner of a 2025R I am glad I paid the additional money to get the larger machine. Now that I have spent time on the 2025R I went back to the dealer for some parts and sitting on the 1025R there is a significant difference to me just sitting on them. In looking at the price difference and owning the 2025R I have to ask the question of why wouldn't you go for the 2025R if you can afford a few thousand more on the financing. The increases you get on the 2025R I think are well worth it. The different rear axle with greater capacity is nice. A decent increase in FEL lift is a thumbs up for me. Obviously the larger tires give a better ride, more ballast when filled and greater ground clearance. Add the additional ballast in the tires with the greater weight of the tractor and you get a significant advantage over the weight of the 1025R. The ride and view of the 2025R is so much better too!

Small things I've noticed is an additional step on the front, plus an added hand grab on the ROPs with my 2021 model BH.

Again, just me, but if the few thousand is not an issue then I would sign for a 2025R again right now if I was doing it all over again.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Well said. OP, this note summarizes the actual differences, correctly, in my opinion. I made the comparison and chose the 2025 over the 1025 and am very happy I did. Seems so obvious unless a very specific clearance or space issue faces you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.