Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have just joined this morning. I live in Dorset, UK. Dorset is one of Englands smallest counties but is packed full of agriculture and is very scenic and tranquil once away from Bournemouth. There are whole villages of thatched cottages and also many farms. At the moment, we don't live in the country but visit as often as we can.

My love of farm machinery esp John Deere stems from my childhood when I would visit Agricultural shows with my parents and spend most of the day looking at and sitting in tractors. Nowadays when I go to such shows, I still marvel at the machinery and take lots of photos. I have also started this year going out and photographing tractors and combines harvesting - I even got a ride in an S690i a few weeks ago!

I am currently looking for work in the farm machinery sector, so if there are by any chance any members in my area that know of such jobs I'd be grateful if they could let me know. Thanks. I did work for a John Deere dealer some years back so have some experience!

Have a great weekend all.

Paul.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Welcome to DT Paul:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: 6170R

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome to DT Paul. Cool avatar! :thumbup1gif:

And a big thanks for a very well done bio.

Reactions: 6170R

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome, Paul!
I hope to visit the English countryside in the next year or so. I just received my FarmStayUK catalog in the mail the other day, so trip preparation will help to fill the upcoming cold, dark evenings this winter. I figure what better way to see the countryside, meet people who live there, and do it affordably by staying at farm B&Bs?
Have you ever been to the Great Dorset Steam Fair? Is it worth seeing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, Paul!
I hope to visit the English countryside in the next year or so. I just received my FarmStayUK catalog in the mail the other day, so trip preparation will help to fill the upcoming cold, dark evenings this winter. I figure what better way to see the countryside, meet people who live there, and do it affordably by staying at farm B&Bs?
Have you ever been to the Great Dorset Steam Fair? Is it worth seeing?
Thanks for the message. Hope you can make it over next year - you will certainly be made very welcome and farm B&Bs will be a great way to do it. We stayed in a farm B&B whilst on honeymoon a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - the food was superb, straight off farm.
Yes I have been to the Great Dorset Steam Fair and yes it definitely is worth seeing. It is one of the greatest spectacles you will ever see, with steam engines, tractors, fairground, tractor pulling and trade stands - amazing. And I think it is the Saturday night, there is a massive line-up of steam showmans engines all in steam and all lit up!!
As you probably know, we are just coming to the end of harvest here in the UK but it was delayed by a week or so due to bad weather. But if you like seeing the harvest - as I do - then end of August would be the time to come and then stay for the GDSF which is on right now.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The British are coming! The British are coming! really cool, Glad you joined up. :hi: Be sure to keep us informed at whats going on on the other side of pond.

My favorite TV shows are "The Last of the Summer Wine and The Vicar of Dibley."

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome Paul!

My favorite British TV shows are Top Gear and Dr. Who.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the welcome messages.

My favourite TV program is BBC Countryfile - not sure if you get this at all. It is not purely farming but gives an insight into general countryside goings on and issues. Also there is nearly always a part of this hour long show that showcases a farm near Gloucester in the west country run by Adam Henson; he presents this slot and it shows the highs and lows of his farming year. His father kick started the rare breeds movement in the UK and this continues under Adams' guidance too. Excellent program!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for info regarding the harvest, Paul. That is a big help. What crops will be harvested in England in late August? Here in the States (I should say the Northeastern part), wheat & barley are complete by July and corn may begin to be chopped for silage in early September. Ear corn and beans likely will not be until later in September or even later depending on the time of planting and the weather.

Back in 1990 I was traveling with a group in the UK in early August if I recall. Our group left the London area for a day trip to Oxford. The weather was spectacular and I so much wanted to hop off the bus and just roam the backroads. That is my aim next year. I want to be sure that the Olympics are far from over in order to avoid the crowds of tourists.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thank you guys for the welcome messages.

Mfavoritete TV program is BBC Countryfile - not sure if you get this at all. It is not purely farming but gives an insight into general countryside goings on and issues. Also there is nearly always a part of this hour long show that showcases a farm near Gloucester in the west country run by Adam Henson; he presents this slot and it shows the highs and lows of his farming year. His father kick started the rare breeds movement in the UK and this continues under Adams' guidance too. Excellent program!
I don't get that one on our PBS station, sounds interesting though. Faulty Towers was another favorite British sitcom of mine. Our sitcoms are no talent crap meant for easily satisfied dimwits. Watching paint dry is more entertaining.

Glad to have you, please show your passport to Kenny so he doesn't get brought in by Homeland Security and water boarded.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
How could I forget Fawlty Towers? I always got a kick out of how they subtly changed the sign in front of the inn each week. I'll add The Prisoner to my list of British TV shows I watch.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
How could I forget Fawlty Towers? I always got a kick out of how they subtly changed the sign in front of the inn each week. I'll add The Prisoner to my list of British TV shows I watch.
:laugh::laugh:I think Farty Towels was my favorite.:lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
The British are coming! The British are coming! really cool, Glad you joined up. :hi: Be sure to keep us informed at whats going on on the other side of pond.

My favorite TV shows are "The Last of the Summer Wine and The Vicar of Dibley."
Welcome to DeereTalk Paul .. good to see another Brit here. I was beginning to feel lonely. :thumbup1gif:

If you guys like some British comedy you should watch QI :laugh:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Welcome to DeereTalk Paul .. good to see another Brit here. I was beginning to feel lonely. :thumbup1gif:

If you guys like some British comedy you should watch QI :laugh:
I'll have to check it out when I get my new 5 gigs on Verizon wireless account.

Our sitcoms suck, same rehashed material with updated lines and new faces.. if you seen one you've seen them all.

Ours actors are talentless, they have script personalities that get to be monotonous and boring to follow, they don't have the ability to put the human element into a script because they lack the training and years of experience the Britts get ...

It's common here to see an actors name up in lights and give an interview and say to yourself... "who the hell is this guy and what movie did this no talent waste of time make.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
:laugh::laugh:I think Farty Towels was my favorite.:lol:
I seem to recall one sign that read, "Flowery Twats." :laugh:

Ours actors are talentless, they have script personalities that get to be monotonous and boring to follow, they don't have the ability to put the human element into a script because they lack the training and years of experience the Britts get ...
My gripe is the incessant laugh-track. I know what's funny to me, I don't need canned laughter to goad me into laughing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for info regarding the harvest, Paul. That is a big help. What crops will be harvested in England in late August? Here in the States (I should say the Northeastern part), wheat & barley are complete by July and corn may begin to be chopped for silage in early September. Ear corn and beans likely will not be until later in September or even later depending on the time of planting and the weather.

Back in 1990 I was traveling with a group in the UK in early August if I recall. Our group left the London area for a day trip to Oxford. The weather was spectacular and I so much wanted to hop off the bus and just roam the backroads. That is my aim next year. I want to be sure that the Olympics are far from over in order to avoid the crowds of tourists.
You are very welcome. Crops being harvested at end of August will be wheat, barley, oilseed rape, grass for silage and possibly fuel crops such as miscanthus. Maize/corn comes off about middle September. The Olympic circus should be gone by end of August even with Paralympics bu that doesn't have the following or coverage anyway. Hope this helps.
You may enjoy this website too: http://www.fwi.co.uk/Home/

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for all that info! By the way, Farmers Weekly is what I picked up at a newsstand on Fleet Street back in '05. I tried to find the same newsstand again in '09 but couldn't find it. They don't seem to carry Farmers Weekly at Boots' or Marks & Spencer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hi Tech Guy ... thanks for the welcome and don't worry us Brits 'll stick together even if we are smaller in number! lol :good2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts