·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Awesome!

:wgtt:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi dillon2! And welcome to GTT! I'm from East Michigan. Congratulations on your "new baby". My first tractor was a '49 John Deere A- some 40 years ago when they were almost new. It was pretty rough when I bought it. I had it for 15 years and sold it to a fellow who completely restored it. She's a beauty now and it does look almost new.

You'll enjoy the GTT forum. You'll learn a lot from fellers who know a lot. Oh yeah. There's a little bit of foolishness too. Best Wishes!

Jeff O

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Nice :congrats::wgtt: from another Michigander

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
:wgtt: From The Pacific NW - Oregon!

Fine looking piece of history there, congrats.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, the story goes like this. This tractor belonged to an old farmer in northern Michigan where I hunt. I've known about it for years and use to see it putting around the property until about 5 years ago. When I asked why I hadn't seen it out in a while the old farmer said he couldn't get it started. Fast forward to this past august when I brought a bunch of tools over to his barn to try to revive it. It had been sitting the basement of that old barn for five years without moving an inch, and so I set to work. Points were new and clean, cap ok, plugs ok, wires ok. In short time I discovered the ignition switch was bad. So a new switch was installed. A quick check of coolant and oil and decided it was safe to try. Now, keep in mind the fuel is 5 years old. Time for the truth. Turn on the ignition and fuel and just bump her over just to see if she farts. To my complete surprise, It started on one revolution and just purred contently. Huh, imagine that. So out of the barn for a little ride around the pasture. Surprise, surprise the clutch and brakes work well as does the transmission. No funny noises and oil pressure is good but the temp gauge doesn't work (oh well, gotta be something). Drove it back into the barn and inform the owner it runs again but needs a full service. His reply was "I really don't use it, I got my 730". So after some negotiation it became mine. It is still in that barn for now until the weather breaks a bit and I can get it out.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Wonderful. I am sure he is happy you have it.

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
4,249 Posts

Welcome from New York and congrats on your "new to you" tractor.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts

·
Registered
12,530 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Welcome to GTT, from the deep south.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok, the story goes like this. This tractor belonged to an old farmer in northern Michigan where I hunt. I've known about it for years and use to see it putting around the property until about 5 years ago. When I asked why I hadn't seen it out in a while the old farmer said he couldn't get it started. Fast forward to this past august when I brought a bunch of tools over to his barn to try to revive it. It had been sitting the basement of that old barn for five years without moving an inch, and so I set to work. Points were new and clean, cap ok, plugs ok, wires ok. In short time I discovered the ignition switch was bad. So a new switch was installed. A quick check of coolant and oil and decided it was safe to try. Now, keep in mind the fuel is 5 years old. Time for the truth. Turn on the ignition and fuel and just bump her over just to see if she farts. To my complete surprise, It started on one revolution and just purred contently. Huh, imagine that. So out of the barn for a little ride around the pasture. Surprise, surprise the clutch and brakes work well as does the transmission. No funny noises and oil pressure is good but the temp gauge doesn't work (oh well, gotta be something). Drove it back into the barn and inform the owner it runs again but needs a full service. His reply was "I really don't use it, I got my 730". So after some negotiation it became mine. It is still in that barn for now until the weather breaks a bit and I can get it out.

What a GREAT STORY and find, Glad it was an easy fix and welcome to the GTT:bigthumb:, I have just joined myself and hide in the Manistee Nat. Forest, east of the Big Late Mi. and south of the bridge 100 miles, Love all the seasons and enjoy the wildlife.
:greentractorride:

waltmart

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
:gtfam:

The pictures are visible?:unknown:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Welcome to GTT from your neighbor on the sunset coast.

Where about in West MI? I’m in NW Allegan County.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,069 Posts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts