Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end with this issue. I am not only new to the forum, I am new to tractors. I bought the 2305 in July 2010. I have learned alot, but have a LONG way to go. Last summer I had an issue where my 2305 kept stalling. Basically it would run for 60-90 seconds (more power less time), and stall. After 10-15 seconds it would start back up, albeit roughly. I eventually noticed that the fuel bowl was draining. So I isolated and could literally watch the fuel level drop after about 45 seconds. Once it hit bottom it would stall and the slowly fill back up. 10 seconds or so. My friend who lives nearby is well versed in the tractor world. After trying various things, such as fuel filter, air filter, etc, he felt it was bad gas. So we drained the tank (which is a PAIN). We put in some off road diesel and the problem was gone. Bad gas right.....wrong. It ran fine without the issue for a whole year, then the exact issue started again this weekend....except I am on my second 5 gallon tank of off road diesel both bought the same day. Furthermore, I was cutting for a solid half hour before it started. I changed the fuel filter and no change. Also removed the air filter (My supplier is out of them), no change. Loosening the cap does not help. I am about ready to take it to the dealer, but am hesitating since they seem perplexed as to what the issue is....which ususally means unnecessary repairs and expense...and will not have my tractor for 2-3 weeks. What could have changed? Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated.

·
Administrator
20,645 Posts
:wgtt:

If the fuel bowl is emptying, there is a obstruction in the tank or the hose that runs from the tank to the water separator. Time to remove the tank again and make sure the line is not kinking. One member with simular problems reported finding stink-bugs in the tank blocking the outlet!

2305-1.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,695 Posts
I am at my wits end with this issue. I am not only new to the forum, I am new to tractors. I bought the 2305 in July 2010. I have learned alot, but have a LONG way to go. Last summer I had an issue where my 2305 kept stalling. Basically it would run for 60-90 seconds (more power less time), and stall. After 10-15 seconds it would start back up, albeit roughly. I eventually noticed that the fuel bowl was draining. So I isolated and could literally watch the fuel level drop after about 45 seconds. Once it hit bottom it would stall and the slowly fill back up. 10 seconds or so. My friend who lives nearby is well versed in the tractor world. After trying various things, such as fuel filter, air filter, etc, he felt it was bad gas. So we drained the tank (which is a PAIN). We put in some off road diesel and the problem was gone. Bad gas right.....wrong. It ran fine without the issue for a whole year, then the exact issue started again this weekend....except I am on my second 5 gallon tank of off road diesel both bought the same day. Furthermore, I was cutting for a solid half hour before it started. I changed the fuel filter and no change. Also removed the air filter (My supplier is out of them), no change. Loosening the cap does not help. I am about ready to take it to the dealer, but am hesitating since they seem perplexed as to what the issue is....which ususally means unnecessary repairs and expense...and will not have my tractor for 2-3 weeks. What could have changed? Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated.
Are you saying the diesel fuel is a year old?

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Remove the fuel cap and remove the tank feed line to filter. If fuel flows freely from the hose the problem is not a restriction in the tank. If not you can try blowing some compressed air into the feed line and back into the tank (go easy) to temporarily dislodge any blockage at the fuel pickup. Your pickup strainer may be blocked with debris or fungus. If the procedure dislodges any debris and fuel begins flowing let the tank drain completely into a container. Take a fuel sample and look for cloud fuel or dirt which could also be fungus. If the fuel was fresh reuse it but strain it back into the tank. A shot of fuel conditioner wouldn't hurt either. Double check your filter and replace if necessary.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dbweaver

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the same problem. If you pull the filter assembly off the tube that feeds in the fuel when this is happening then you'll notice the fuel is coming into that cap at a trickle, and that is your problem. My issues was leaves in the tank. I have no idea how they got in there... Maybe they were in the fuel, maybe someone was careless during fueling, no idea.

The problem would go away for a while if I messed with things, because I dislodged the blockage. But eventually what was in the tank would slink over to the tube's entrance and the problem would be back. I tried sucking the trash through the tube, blowing air in, and pumping out the tank (twice)... But the problem would always return. Eventually I went to have the dealer remove the tank and clean it out properly. No problems ever again. I highly suggest not wasting the time I did (because I didnt want to go through the hassle of removing the tank and cleaning it) and instead just bite the bullet. :(

You can do this yourself, but you need to pull several other things first before you can get the tank free. And you need it free to be able to clean it properly as you'll want it upside down to dump stuff out.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I've read where someone had trash, or something, in their diesel can fall into the tank. It caused the exact same problem. He was able to fish it out from the top.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Guy on mytractorforum had same issue.

Jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you guys are the best. Somehow service guys at my dealer had no idea. Things they were telling me just didnt makes sense, which is why I sought this forum out. When I read the first couple responses, they made sense. Well, I drained the tank last night. Right there I knew I was on the right track, and it took about 30 minutes to drain about 3.5 gallons. While it was draining, I ran over to my buddies house who has this sweet Ryobi camera with a light on the end of a 3ft flexible rod. As I was looking in the tank, I saw something red in there. A circle with a tail (Like you would blow bubbles with). The way it was against the wall of the tank, I was thinking it was where the fuel left the tank, a landmark if you will. Well, I took my compressor, blew some air in there and went back in with the camera, and something was different. I couldnt find my red landmark with the camera. I found it on the other side of the tank. Ahh Haa! I used a long flexible grabber, and pulled it up. I am 90% sure it was from the new "safety" gas can I bought 2 years ago. I had some cheap flimsy cap on it that I reacall breaking off upon first use. I believe that this was the piece that was meant to hold the cap onto the can nozzle. Anyway, I fired it up and ran it for a solid 10 minutes with no issues. I feel fairly confident that was the issue. Thank you all for your help. Likely saved me a few hundred bucks and a LOT of aggrevation.

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Well, you guys are the best. Somehow service guys at my dealer had no idea. Things they were telling me just didnt makes sense, which is why I sought this forum out. When I read the first couple responses, they made sense. Well, I drained the tank last night. Right there I knew I was on the right track, and it took about 30 minutes to drain about 3.5 gallons. While it was draining, I ran over to my buddies house who has this sweet Ryobi camera with a light on the end of a 3ft flexible rod. As I was looking in the tank, I saw something red in there. A circle with a tail (Like you would blow bubbles with). The way it was against the wall of the tank, I was thinking it was where the fuel left the tank, a landmark if you will. Well, I took my compressor, blew some air in there and went back in with the camera, and something was different. I couldnt find my red landmark with the camera. I found it on the other side of the tank. Ahh Haa! I used a long flexible grabber, and pulled it up. I am 90% sure it was from the new "safety" gas can I bought 2 years ago. I had some cheap flimsy cap on it that I reacall breaking off upon first use. I believe that this was the piece that was meant to hold the cap onto the can nozzle. Anyway, I fired it up and ran it for a solid 10 minutes with no issues. I feel fairly confident that was the issue. Thank you all for your help. Likely saved me a few hundred bucks and a LOT of aggrevation.
Great news! That's what friends are for!!

·
Administrator
21,542 Posts
Awesome!:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,645 Posts
Wow Great news! Glad we could help...

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
This is the second or third thread just lately with foreign objects in the fuel tank. I just bought a new Generac portable generator that has a screen in the fuel filler. The screen is shaped like a cup. It does take longer for fuel to run through, but it would preclude foreign objects in the tank. I haven't looked to see if there is one that would fit the filler on the tractor, but it might be a good idea.

Don

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is the second or third thread just lately with foreign objects in the fuel tank. I just bought a new Generac portable generator that has a screen in the fuel filler. The screen is shaped like a cup. It does take longer for fuel to run through, but it would preclude foreign objects in the tank. I haven't looked to see if there is one that would fit the filler on the tractor, but it might be a good idea.

Don
Don,

If that screen is made of plastic, watch for deterioration over time. I've seen these screens fall apart and then the screen itself becomes the fuel contaminant.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Larry:

I agree on the plastic. This one, however, is metal, but I will keep watch of it. I'm hoping, now that I have a generator, the power won't go out again. Maybe it will be like an insurance policy.

Don

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Don,

If that screen is made of plastic, watch for deterioration over time. I've seen these screens fall apart and then the screen itself becomes the fuel contaminant.
Yet another reason the more things seem to be "improved", the more I like some old stuff. Not all of course, as I love my 2012 2520. :laugh:

titan, thanks for posting the follow-up of what the problem was. It sounds like there could be an entire sticky of "Things I've found clogging my fuel tank".

·
Premium Member
10,131 Posts

Don
When I was working on semi trucks, we began installing something similar to that in order to prevent fuel theft. I can't recall who made them, but I did find these. Looks like they can custom make them in any size.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always use a funnel with a stainless steel filter. Usually catches the crap,falling off of the can.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,695 Posts

Don
Make sure you start that guy periodically or you'll be pulling the carburetor (assuming it's gas). Seems I am always pulling the carburetor off of ours. I now keep a spare that is ready to go at a moments notice. Ya never know!

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Make sure you start that guy periodically or you'll be pulling the carburetor (assuming it's gas). Seems I am always pulling the carburetor off of ours. I now keep a spare that is ready to go at a moments notice. Ya never know!
That's my plan at this point, but sometimes, I seem to ignore my own advice. I put in less than 1/2 tank. I was torn between filling it to prevent condensation and only putting in 1/2 tank to prevent waste. For as often as we lose electric power, I'm sure the gas won't go stale. From your experience, is running for ten or 15 minutes, once a month enough to keep it operational? You know that I will be mad as hell if the power goes out and the generator won't run.

Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts