Green Tractor Talk banner

Newbie in WY

2K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  C130Herc 
#1 ·
OK, coach me up, new guy here. just bought 15 acres in WY as our primary residence. Has two pastures, a barn and the house. about 1/2 is heavily wooded, very hilly property. Looking at 3039R Cab w/ snow blower, box blade and loader, XUV835M Gator and Z530R Ztrack mower. fire away; to much, to little? Be nice and thanks for the advice!

#2 ·
Welcome from New York.

#3 ·
Looks like a fun shopping trip! I recommend buying based on the task at hand, and build up the kit as you go. That being said, getting the implements you need right away or very near future is easier swallowed when financed at 0%, if that is the route your taking. Check out the "why you need ballast" thread and there are several recent threads for "what should I get" that should point you in the right direction! Tractor time with Tim on YouTube and he's a member here (@Tractor Tim /TTWT has a great collection of videos with honest reviews and comparisons of tractors!

Welcome to GTT from SE PA! Be careful, we're good at SPOM. (Spending Other People's money)!

#4 ·
Welcome from Wisconsin.

#10 ·
I also am planing to buy the Titan ballast box!
I would forgo that and just get the JD box w/extension, they should throw it in with all that you're buying.

Welcome to GTT

#8 ·
C130Herc, Welcome from Tenn. and btw, I had just over 6,000 hrs on a C-130E! (Pope AFB '68-'72) Bob

Reactions: MattL
#9 ·
Welcome from southern KY!

Sounds like you're on the right track. You should determine the work you need to do then size the tractor for the attachments you need (y)

#11 ·
Welcome from north Alabama. One thing I wished I had done before getting my cabbed tractor home is have the glass tinted. But the sun may be more of a problem in Alabama than Wyoming. Even with the AC it gets really hot inside the cab if ambient temperature is above 90 degrees.

I bought a set of forks but that is my least used implement. But those that use them love them. Good luck.

#12 ·
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

#14 ·
Welcome from the Great Lakes state.

""just bought 15 acres in WY as our primary residence. Has two pastures, a barn and the house. about 1/2 is heavily wooded, very hilly property""

Sounds beautiful. Wyoming is one of my favorite states. I am always amazed how the wind never seems to stop blowing in much of that state. In fact, for some, the constant wind takes getting used to.........Are you new to the state or have you lived there for some time?

Also, I agree 110% with what Pat PJR832 said about the ballast box, skip the Titan and get the Frontier brand and have the dealer throw it in on the deal. Get the box extension as you are going to need the added weight.

The Titan "Free Shipping" comes at a cost. There are dozens of threads here on GTT about the subject. For some of us, we simply can't support a company which fails to respect the work product of others and the rule of law...........It's covered in the threads in detail, so I won't beat that dead horse in your thread.

Welcome to GTT!

#15 ·
Welcome from NW SD.

rob

#16 ·
Welcome from Kentucky

about 1/2 is heavily wooded, very hilly property. Looking at 3039R Cab
Two things come to mind when I read your post.

#1 - Heavily wooded and cab. Planning to use the tractor in the woods? You'll need some fairly well trimmed trails to keep the limbs away from glass and mirrors.

#2 - very hilly property + 3 series + cab. In any stock configuration cabbed 3R's are not know for stability. They are a bit narrow for the height & weight of the cab.

JD doesn't recommend wheel spacers on the 3 series. According to the factory spacers failed the endurance tests and wear/damage to the rear axle can happen. Lots of folks run spacers anyway and so far I know of no one tearing up their tractor. Personally I think 2" spacers and proper operation there shouldn't be a problem.

You didn't mention tires. FWIW, R4's don't have a very good reputation in snow. I'd suggest looking R1's or R14's. Another advantage of the R1 rims, you can get heavier wheel weights than you can for the R4 rims. (75# vs 50#) Whatever tire you get, plan on a set of good chains.

Ballast box - I am re-configuring mine. I am using steel (old railroad track) and concrete. Plan is to have the minimum ballast weight inside the box no higher than the lift pins. I am adding a brackets to the sides of the box to add suitcase weights to each side. The ultimate goal is all the weight (and lots of it) at or below the lift pins. I also have hilly property and I want as much weight as I can get as low as I can keep it.

Congratulations on the new property and the forthcoming new toys.

Reactions: PJR832
#18 ·
Welcome from the Mitten. Think the other guys covered my thoughts above. Nice package of equipment.

#19 ·
Welcome from the Puget Sound
The absolute coldest place I’ve ever been was atop the Rockies in the middle of the winter in WY. Your going to need a cab. Just trim your branches up

#20 ·
Welcome, I have a hilly tree filled property in the Sierra Nevadas and have a 2025r. I probably could have gone a bit bigger, but it meets all of my needs (so far). If I could go back in time, I would have an SCV installed (for a grapple) when I purchased it. I'm going through the process of getting quotes for a grapple and the SCV. I got my dealer to throw in the JD Ballast Box as part of the deal at zero cost. I asked right at the end and after 15 mins of paperwork, got the BB.

I love Wyoming. My Daughter went to UW. I was living in Denver at the time and I loved going to as many football games as possible. I would always stay at the KOA in Laramie. They have a "photo" scene (where you put your faces in holes with painted bodies) showing how bad the wind is. You soon realize the wind it real. lol. I'm trying to talk the wife into retiring in WY, but she can't get over the wind.

#21 ·
Welcome from Central Ohio

0% financing is very appetizing, but don't over think it. It's better to purchase what you need when you need it, rather than purchase implements that you won't use at zero percent. Good luck and happy shopping.

BTW: you will use forks!

#22 ·
Welcome from NE PA.

#23 ·
Welcome to GTT

#24 ·
Welcome from the foothills west of Denver.

If your property is heavily wooded, you may wind up doing quite a bit of forestry work. If so, you should consider a grapple and a rear-PTO chipper. Since most of my 3046R work is forestry related, I have a modular Artillian grapple and a WoodMaxx 9900 chipper. Both have served me very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.