Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my first post in Johnny Poppers. I picked up a project B recently that was too good to pass up. The engine is disassembled and I'm looking for advice on books or documentation on how to assemble the engine and restore the tractor. A lot of the painting has been done, new set of rear tires came with it, rebuilt magneto, new aluminum pistons. So far it looks like all it needs is a new seat. I paid $400 for the whole deal.

IMG_20160730_104406546_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
What a very COOL project. And, what a fantastic deal. :thumbup1gif:

Welcome to GTT. We'll all be following your project progress.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thank you so much. I am both surprised and relieved that it looks like I will have no problems getting parts. I am quite nervous about getting started on this. The engine is my main concern. Does the service manual cover in detail how to assemble the engine?

·
Premium Member
7,447 Posts
I would not be surprised if there are YouTube videos for any thing you want to do on it. Or I'll bet there are a book or two detailing the restoration of John Deere two cylinders.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have this manual only for D's instead of B's. This is mainly the one I use because it is a reproduction and I don't want to get my originals greasy and torn up. But the beauty to this manual is it several manuals all combined into one.

John Deere B BN BW BWH bnh Styled Tractor Master Service Manual Repair Shop New | eBay

The manuals are more technical information rather than a step by step process of working on them. Like stated above you could check youtube for videos or you could also check your area for a local two cylinder club. We have two separate clubs just for two cylinders in our area. A lot of the old timers have invaluable information on these old tractors and I'm sure would be glad to help you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Before you get too excited and start reassembling the tractor you should give the intact parts a good inspection. Jack the back end up and spin the flywheel in all the gears to make sure nothing is broken back there. Have a good look inside the radiator to make sure it isn't full of rust and scale. Etc. A little cautionary inspection now (while the machine is already mostly stripped down) can save a huge headache later when you go to drive it out of the shed only to find that you are missing a gear.

The good news is that the difficult/aggravating part of restoring an old machine is already done; you don't have to worry about snapping off manifold bolts or seized up pistons. Assuming that you have a good manual, take your time, and do it right, putting it all back together is the easy part.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Joshn, I ordered that manual!

I have this manual only for D's instead of B's. This is mainly the one I use because it is a reproduction and I don't want to get my originals greasy and torn up. But the beauty to this manual is it several manuals all combined into one.

John Deere B BN BW BWH bnh Styled Tractor Master Service Manual Repair Shop New | eBay

The manuals are more technical information rather than a step by step process of working on them. Like stated above you could check youtube for videos or you could also check your area for a local two cylinder club. We have two separate clubs just for two cylinders in our area. A lot of the old timers have invaluable information on these old tractors and I'm sure would be glad to help you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Evergreen. That is some good advice. The first component I'm going to tear into is the roll-o-matic.

Before you get too excited and start reassembling the tractor you should give the intact parts a good inspection. Jack the back end up and spin the flywheel in all the gears to make sure nothing is broken back there. Have a good look inside the radiator to make sure it isn't full of rust and scale. Etc. A little cautionary inspection now (while the machine is already mostly stripped down) can save a huge headache later when you go to drive it out of the shed only to find that you are missing a gear.

The good news is that the difficult/aggravating part of restoring an old machine is already done; you don't have to worry about snapping off manifold bolts or seized up pistons. Assuming that you have a good manual, take your time, and do it right, putting it all back together is the easy part.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts