Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
OK. thanks for the grass cut angle info. . .!
I have one diesel-- track loader, . . . half key turn CCW for lighting the glo plugs, then half turn CW for ignition. . . so, maybe I can try that on the JD . . . ha! no. I will wait for the EFI light to go out, OF COURSE!

·
Read Only
20 Posts
It seems there is a local faction around my area that prefers the older 316's etc. Made tougher, durable, STILL running. If you can find one with low hours and well maintained GO FOR IT! Craig's list stuff mostly.

on the other hand. . . I can't help but notice all the 1995 and 2000's models up for sale at many implement dealers that are in the same(many lower) price range and seem newer, better(?), and I am figuring there is a higher probability I can find one for sale with more competition and at a better price all things considered. Taking a poll here; looking for general advice; my 1st garden tractor(lawn too). I bought 80 acres and will use this for lawn, garden, cleaning up rough ground of weeds(not QUITE brush hog work, but close).

Should I look for a specific model or models manufactured later or stick with the old models??

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
What is your budget? You should have stated in your original post that you're looking to just work your mowed lawn.
If you look at his post, or at least one of them he has 80 acres but is only cutting 1 or was it 2. Either way a small fraction of it. Your point is valid which is why I asked early on that same question along with how critical is the machine and if he wanted to get into something he has to tinker with. Not that a new machine will never break down but the average time between failures are a lot longer. At least while new.

·
Read Only
20 Posts
If you look at his post, or at least one of them he has 80 acres but is only cutting 1 or was it 2. Either way a small fraction of it. Your point is valid which is why I asked early on that same question along with how critical is the machine and if he wanted to get into something he has to tinker with. Not that a new machine will never break down but the average time between failures are a lot longer. At least while new.
Correct. But I did not read the entire thread of comments first to know he's not working the entire 80 acres.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
OK. So here is he skinny guys.
I retired in 2013 and wanted a place in which I could walk out my back door and hunt or fish. I found it. 80 acres on a river where I own land on both sides, about 15 acres of hay field, 5 acres of river(where I fish and hunt ducks and geese), 4 ac of land on the other side, 15 ac of sand pit, the rest is forest-- where I hunt(turkey and deer). I am not a farmer. I already MADE my money and now I am using it for what I care about.

The hay field gets cut when my farmer friend feels like it once or twice a year(no charge) but I have about 1/2 mile long lane and a big yard and multiple gardens my wife wants mowed. The old urban push more ain't cuttin' it! I didn't want to spend thousands on something that will be nothing more than a big-ass lawn mower, from MY perspective. So, I settled for the 445 with only 830 hrs on it and a 54" deck which is over twice the width of the old pusher, cost was only $1600. I am happy; you all should be too!

61 - 66 of 66 Posts