Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm handy, done a lot, but never touched a tractor before I "acquired" one in nov.

I've used the box blade to move some gravel and shredded a few acres around the house. Next is the shred 70 acres, before the broom weed buds.

My issue is I've got a ton of slack in my hitch. My lower arms move so much they allow my implement to swing side to side as I turn. I think it should feel more ridged and offer less give. In fact it moves so much that I've sheared cotter pin in my lower arms several times. I bought bushings to take up the gap, but I think I'm missing something. It's as if I need to ratchet strap my lower arm to each other so they can't swing.

Is this swing normal? I assume some give or I could not hook it up, but I think I have too much. Ideas on how to tighten it up?

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are turn-buckles on the lower arms that you loosen and tighten up the lower arms with. One end is reverse thread so you turn the turn-buckle one way and it tightens and the other way will loosen them up.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Cjate!

Have a look at this pic... (click on picture once to open and again to enlarge it)

3 point hitch large.jpg

Look at the lift arms and notice the "sway chain" on each side. Possibly your machine came without these? This is where the side to side motion is controlled. Keep us posted!:good2:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Should look something like this.

Attachments

Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
I tried to find a decent pics for your 2350 in JDparts but failed, but I suspect your missing some of the anti-sway parts. Can you post some pics of the 3PH area?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
I tried to find a decent pics for your 2350 in JDparts but failed, but I suspect your missing some of the anti-sway parts. Can you post some pics of the 3PH area?
I think he has a used 2350 tractor, do you think the sway blocks are missing?

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
I looked for a decent picture on Google for the 3PH on a 2350, but none had the anti-sway device installed.:unknown: But it looks like there's a lug on the outside of the lower lift arms for a sway chain to connect to.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
I looked for a decent picture on Google for the 3PH on a 2350, but none had the anti-sway device installed.:unknown: But it looks like there's a lug on the outside of the lower lift arms for a sway chain to connect to.
As you and Kenny have done, I too have searched the internet and cannot find any pictures or video. But I'd guess the sway blocks are missing/need adjusting.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
On a 2350, you may have sway bars instead of chains. You should have something going from the lower hitch arms to the tractor frame. You can see one in this picture on my tractor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395671241.811285.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too googled.

I don't guess I have anti sway anything. I guess I understood from google the chains were only needed on bigger units, but I'll give it another look. If I was not shearing pins it would not bother me as much.

Gives me a place to start.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
As I am sure many did I looked on JD parts and went alphabetical to find out where the 3PH was and all the images did not show any parts for any type of stabilizers. Could it be the 2350 did not have any?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the bushing stop the pin shearing (i.e. Don't halt my progress) is this sway a problem?

At this time I only have a shredder and box blade. Are there implements where it will matter more?

Shredder seems to sway more, if it's longer or not in contact with the ground like the box blade.

Some day I'll have a tiller and hay equipment.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
As I am sure many did I looked on JD parts and went alphabetical to find out where the 3PH was and all the images did not show any parts for any type of stabilizers. Could it be the 2350 did not have any?
JD Parts shows this, Sway Blocks and Support

L115619________UN01JAN94.gif

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
JD Parts shows this, Sway Blocks and Support

View attachment 26406
That is where I was headed Gizmo. They mount in the narrow position for Category I and in the wide position for Category II. On the larger tractors, 2520, 3020, 4020 they can also be turned up or down. In the up position the blocks allow the implement, such as a moldboard plow, to move around a bit laterally, when engaged in the ground. When the implement is raised the blocks do not allow for lateral movement. They should work the same on a 2350. I think this is correct. It was buried deep in the back of my old noggin.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
That is where I was headed Gizmo. They mount in the narrow position for Category I and in the wide position for Category II. On the larger tractors, 2520, 3020, 4020 they can also be turned up or down. In the up position the blocks allow the implement, such as a moldboard plow, to move around a bit laterally, when engaged in the ground. When the implement is raised the blocks do not allow for lateral movement. They should work the same on a 2350. I think this is correct. It was buried deep in the back of my old noggin.
I'm impressed.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Confirmed I have none.

I see where it would attach to lower arm but don't seem to have blocks on tractor.

Where does this block bolt up, under the axel? Then any chain w/ tensioner or do I need a particular set up?

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
I saw the blocks Giz posted in JDP, but since I didn't know how they work or where exactly they went I didnt mention them.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
cjate,
I think a sway block should/can be bolted to the plate the arrow is pointing. Keep in mind, I am like Kenny and not knowing a whole lot about sway blocks. It does seem DRobinson may though. Just because that ear is there does not necessarily mean your tractor utilizes it. Can you get another picture but a little to the left showing that plate?

59CC9FF0-C856-4EB3-BF31-051F6E68CD61_zpshnovxjgo.jpg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts