Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been popping in and out of here randomly and thought I would finally post. I have been a gear head my whole life and had been searching craigslist for that deal I couldn't pass up. On Mother's Day weekend (the worst day ever to buy a mower by the way) I found that deal! A guy posted a 425 for $750 dollars. So I loaded up the wife, our 18 month old and a pocket of cash for a Mother's Day road trip. 125mi later I am standing in the guys back yard as he puts on his best John Deere salesman speech. He tells me about the battery he just put in it, all fluids filters and plugs changes etc.... He goes to crank it and nothing happened. So in my former used car salesman fashion I walk around the mower and remind him it won't run, it needs a new seat, a tire is flat, the hood has a small crack and there are not any side panels on it... Etc. then I laid $500 on the hood. He stepped back started to say something and his wife said from the porch $550 and I will hug you when you get it out of my yard, it hasn't moved in 2 years! Done!!! I took the battery out of the truck bungees it on the front of the mower and hooked it to the cables with jumper cables. It fired up and barely running limped onto the trailer. I put the battery back in the truck and brought it home with a furious wife. Remember this all happened on Mother's Day. After I got it home I bought a new battery from Walmart, a used pto solenoid on eBay for $50 adjusted the carb. Greased everything, and I haven't had to spend any other money until my recent flat rear tire (mowing the neighbors yard while he was on vacation). Good karma did come into play there, I found a good deal on some tires that resemble the carlise field trax! Eventually there will be new side panels, a better seat, a new hood and hopefully I can find a 60" deck that is nicer than my 54" and a snow plow. Sorry for my long post but I did want to share my story. As I mow now I remember using my grandfathers old 317 when I was growing up. Thanks for listening!

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
:wgtt:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so either I'm to old (I'm only 33) or to redneck (probably the case) but what does "wgtt" and "gtfam" mean? Lol (laugh out loud-that's the only one I got!)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
From CT

Congrats on your:greentractorride:

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,886 Posts
Had a 425 about 14-15 yrs ago, put about 650 hrs on it after the dealer changed the engine with less than 50 hrs.
Anyway Welcome from West Virginia

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,789 Posts
Ok so either I'm to old (I'm only 33) or to redneck (probably the case) but what does "wgtt" and "gtfam" mean? Lol (laugh out loud-that's the only one I got!)

·
Registered
148 Posts
:wgtt: from Hershey PA. Great story BTW :thumbup1gif: Taking the boss on a deere hunt on mother's day of all days now that sounds like something I would do LOL Hope you took her out for a nice dinner afterwards.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have tried many things to make it up to her. I have finally come to the conclusion that this will be brought back up many many times in the future! She is a lot better about it now. It does help that my son jumps on it every time we go in the garage and acts like he is mowing.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have tried many things to make it up to her. I have finally come to the conclusion that this will be brought back up many many times in the future! She is a lot better about it now. It does help that my son jumps on it every time we go in the garage and acts like he is mowing.
I've been married more years than you are old. Give it up now. She will never forget.:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,789 Posts
I've been married more years than you are old. Give it up now. She will never forget.:laugh:
Same status here, you're a wise man. :lol:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Same status here, you're a wise man. :lol:
That is a compliment. I've been called a wise guy before, but never a wise man. Thanks, Gizmo.:laugh:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
If you are using Tapatalk on a cell phone or tablet wgtt ggtfam probably won't mean much. If you look at this thread in a web browser on a computer that they will be replaced by emoticons. Any time you see a phrase in between two : it an emoticon.

Wgtt= welcome to green tractor talk.

Welcome by the way

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish there was a way on tapatalk to search like you can online on a computer. On my computer I can search for "425" and it will pull up all the threads on 425's. On the app it tells me no results

1 - 20 of 21 Posts