Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m trying to figure out rear ballast for my machine. The specs in my 220r manual appear to show higher requirements than I expected based on prior reading of threads here and looking at manuals online in the past.

Heres what it says:

475 kg (1047 lb) Rear Hitch Ballast
Plus 104 kg (229 lb) on Rear Axle

Link to manual page.

Manual also states I’d need almost 200 additional pounds when using pallet forks.

To have 1047 lb rear hitch ballast I’ll need a Heavy Hitch dual bar with 15+ 70 lb weights. Is there any other way to reach the minimum? I have a backhoe but that won’t be enough.

I’m also curious if this number increased with recent versions of the manual as I had thought it was a lower number.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,961 Posts
The standard ballast box with extension will give you 1137 lbs. when filled with concrete (see chart below).

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
12,680 Posts
Is there any other way to reach the minimum? I have a backhoe but that won’t be enough.
I would think the backhoe would be enough. Part of it (but not shown in the manual) is the length of the weight behind the tractor.

Another ballast option is a ballast box. Much less cost than a HH & cast iron weights.

We've got some pretty savvy 2R owners here that will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
1987 Deere 430
4 Posts
I bought the Titan ballast box for my 2032R. Had read that sand alone would not make it heavy enuf so I found 350 lbs of steel for cheap and put that in first, then topped with sand. I could add another sand bag in but at about 700 I don’t see the need. Oh I also have 60 lbs in each rear wheel.

lately I’ve carried big trees that max out the loader, and it’s been plenty stable for me.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Do you have the MSL 220R? That would explain the increase, 50% increase in capacity will have a corresponding increase in required ballast. The requirements in my manual are filled tires plus 740-ish pounds on the 3 point, but I have the NSL loader, and the MSL didn't exist when I purchased mine. I agree with the others, a ballast box is the way to go, fill it with concrete and forget it. You could already look on Craigslist for ballast, I have a pre-cast concrete ballast block, they usually sell for about 100 bucks around here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the MSL 220R? That would explain the increase, 50% increase in capacity will have a corresponding increase in required ballast. The requirements in my manual are filled tires plus 740-ish pounds on the 3 point, but I have the NSL loader, and the MSL didn't exist when I purchased mine.
No, I have non-self-leveling, and the 1000+ lb minimum in the manual is on the spec page specifically for the non-self-leveling loader, so MSL vs NSL doesn’t explain the difference between manuals here.

Thanks for the suggestion I’ll check that out.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
No, I have non-self-leveling, and the 1000+ lb minimum in the manual is on the spec page specifically for the non-self-leveling loader, so MSL vs NSL doesn’t explain the difference between manuals here.

Thanks for the suggestion I’ll check that out.
Interesting, I would have expected JD to mail out a new page with new requirements, they were very on top of it when they adjusted the 2025R loader ballast requirements.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, I would have expected JD to mail out a new page with new requirements, they were very on top of it when they adjusted the 2025R loader ballast requirements.
So I checked the MSL ballasting specs and... they’re the same as NSL. Strange.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,457 Posts
So I checked the MSL ballasting specs and... they’re the same as NSL. Strange.
I'll bet they haven't been updated yet, with nearly a 50% increase in lift there has too be a higher requirement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts