Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am a old iron horse 4020, 4030, 4440 kinda guy. I bought this 6603 2wd and its just flat out rough. Tires were full when I got it, I emptied them trying to accomplish something but I cant tell the diff. I think it helped some. I was kicking the idea of wheel weights due to no liquid slosh. Its bad square baling up hill with water in tires for sure. I also thought suit case weights up front. Am I casing my tail on this issue? I am running tires as low as I can and still have some firmness when cutter hooked up. Heck my 4030 is smoother I guess due to weight wise.
Thanks for any reply's.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
IMHO you'll never get a tractor with a 4 cyl engine to ride as smooth as one with a 6 cyl engine because of the longer wheelbase of the 6 cyl model. Have you considered installing an air ride seat? Please explain liquid slosh in rear tires & what affect liquid in rear tires has on traveling up hill? I have liquid in rear tires of my 70 HP Kubota and never feel any slosh even at road speeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO you'll never get a tractor with a 4 cyl engine to ride as smooth as one with a 6 cyl engine because of the longer wheelbase of the 6 cyl model. Have you considered installing an air ride seat? Please explain liquid slosh in rear tires & what affect liquid in rear tires has on traveling up hill? I have liquid in rear tires of my 70 HP Kubota and never feel any slosh even at road speeds.
It is a 6 cyl but that really isnt much, the slosh I mean is when square baling the fly wheel and plunger jerk the tractor back and fourth more when baling on a incline, when descending down slightly the jerking is less. So the water in the tires I thought added to it. JMHO I am thinking adding wheel weights and suit case weights have got to help some.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,242 Posts
It is a 6 cyl but that really isnt much, the slosh I mean is when square baling the fly wheel and plunger jerk the tractor back and fourth more when baling on a incline, when descending down slightly the jerking is less. So the water in the tires I thought added to it. JMHO I am thinking adding wheel weights and suit case weights have got to help some.
A max loaded 6603 weighs ~9480. A max loaded 4020 weighs ~13980. The ~4500 Lbs. is a big difference it stability. The weighs may take some of the movement out of it.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
IMO-now just my 2cts-ok. but I would of never taken the fluid OUT of ur tires. now u got less weight holding u down, or giving ya traction also. just my 2cts-ok.

put the fluid back in, and still add the wheel weights, plus the weights up front. i have yet to see any small square baler not rock any tractor while baling hay.

Reactions: JLWelding

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I think liquid in tires would not slosh much at sq baling travel speeds. I can't feel liquid slosh in my tractor's tires at 18+ mph

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A max loaded 6603 weighs ~9480. A max loaded 4020 weighs ~13980. The ~4500 Lbs. is a big difference it stability. The weighs may take some of the movement out of it.
I think your right on, I called JD Saturday and my 4030 has wheel weights, 148 loader with ROPS and he said he's calculation was 14300 , and the 6603 he said 9500 so he close to your figures.
The reason I got rid of the water in rear tire was because our tire shop here in town wont mess with tires with water and I was curious what the diff. felt like. The closest other tire service is 18 miles away. I will be doing wheel weights for sure. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
I am betting you do not have radial tires either. I think they would ride better. :greentractorride:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts