Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Incredible machines. Snow and earth duty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Great avatar, JDForestry. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks like 870 in the picture.

They are ugly, but very cool! :good2:

EDIT: I should add I didn't intend for that to be mean. They are very utilitarian looking is what I meant. In the interest of transparency, though, I'll leave it be. :)

I just zoomed in on the picture. You are correct. Its an 870 Series. I guess the next question is whether its an 870G or 872G (6WD)? It looks like an 872, but there is a bracket in the way.

All the equipment built at the Davenport Works have very boxy, flat utilitarian designs. They are significantly easier to repair and work on than Cat and Volvo. Simple, small, flat panels all around for the most part... and well, we don't have to worry about Volvo as much in the Motor Grader market these days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is the 872G model. so far we're pleased with their performance, being a smaller machine than our regular fleet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is the 872G model. so far we're pleased with their performance, being a smaller machine than our regular fleet.
Make sure the transmission clutch calibration is performed after every trans oil change. Otherwise, they are pretty solid.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I just zoomed in on the picture. You are correct. Its an 870 Series. I guess the next question is whether its an 870G or 872G (6WD)? It looks like an 872, but there is a bracket in the way.

All the equipment built at the Davenport Works have very boxy, flat utilitarian designs. They are significantly easier to repair and work on than Cat and Volvo. Simple, small, flat panels all around for the most part... and well, we don't have to worry about Volvo as much in the Motor Grader market these days.
The 6x6 graders are just over 50% of production. The HFWA is a great feature compared to the mechanical front drive axles used by Austin Western years ago. Been just the last couple months Deere took over top spot in grader sales over CAT. Volvo was not really a contender. Deere still offers a tiny steering wheel, CAT steers with a joy stick. The older heavy equipment operators still want the steering wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts