Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew and his wife got a dog a couple of weeks ago, a pit bull. He seem to get along pretty good with their 11 month old daughter....until last night. The dog began to growl at little Abby and lunged at her, taking a big bite out of her left cheek. The dog tried again to lunge when my nephew drugged the dog off her and took him outside.

My little niece had to be rushed to Children's Hospital in St. Louis. Surgery had to be done by a plastic surgeon. What is disturbing is that the hospital called the Washington County Sheriff's department to go get the dog to have it tested for rabies. The sheriff's department refused saying they didn't have time. So Abby has to have rabies shots now.

She's doing fine and is on her way home now as I typed this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
That is a terrible story. In the sherif's defense, you can't test for rabies without killing the animal, and sending the head to a lab. It's going to be allot faster for the owner just to kill the dog and send the head to the state.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nephew shot the dog, and the hospital should know the process - they have done this sort of thing before. This is a major hospital, one of the best children's hospitals in the world, so I'm sure they know their stuff. I thought they would have called animal control, so I don't know.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
If the dog was shot in the head, then it cannot be tested for rabies. Need an intact brain, for that. Best option is to place the dog in quarantine, for 10 days, at a clinic, or shelter. After the 10 days is up, dog can be destroyed, but if the dog is not exhibiting signs or symptoms of rabies, at the end of the 10 days, the bite victim does not have to undergo the shots.

Very, very sad and tragic. I am glad that your niece is on her way home, after such a horrible ordeal.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Poor little girl. So glad someone was in the room with the dog went off....it could have been much worse.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Poor little girl. So glad someone was in the room with the dog went off....it could have been much worse.
Agree ,poor little girl and yes it could have been much much worse. Thankful someone was in the room

Prayers for her and the family . ..

·
Registered
438 Posts
My prayers to the little one and the family. X2 glad someone was there to react.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Prayers sent. That is an awful situation.

Almost didn't respond as I had three fights years back with two different pit bulls. They both died ugly deaths.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Very sad story...hoping that little girl heals quickly

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys, for your prayers and concerns. We all can play the "what if" game, but it doesn't change this little girl's situation. I just wanted to post this so no one else has to go through this. I'm sure my nephew learnt something from this, but he can't change what happen. No one can. But he can move forward from now on, and be careful about his pets he chooses for his family. As for the rabies shot, since they couldn't or wouldn't test the dog, she got her first shot today. They don't give them in the stomach like they did in the past, but in the arm.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for fast healing, poor girl.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Thanks, guys, for your prayers and concerns. We all can play the "what if" game, but it doesn't change this little girl's situation. I just wanted to post this so no one else has to go through this. I'm sure my nephew learnt something from this, but he can't change what happen. No one can. But he can move forward from now on, and be careful about his pets he chooses for his family. As for the rabies shot, since they couldn't or wouldn't test the dog, she got her first shot today. They don't give them in the stomach like they did in the past, but in the arm.
Getting the shots is probably best, rather than waiting for a test anyway. Bites to the face and neck are especially dangerous due to the close proximity to the brain.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
It's unfortunate, but we have to remember that any and every dog/ cat/ horse/ goat/ etc can be very dangerous in the right circumstances. It's not limited to any breed or species. You have to take time to get to know the individual animal, and then be aware of what it's doing and how it interacts with others in various situations. Thankfully, there was someone present in this horrible situation to take control of the dog.

There are no bad breeds of dog, but some dogs suffer later in life from the environment they were born or raised in, just like people.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
This is truly a sad story, I hope your niece has a speedy recovery with minimal scarring.

Just curious, how old is the dog? I am assuming that the dog was not a puppy?

Prayers sent for your niece.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers are with Abby.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That is just horrible Terry! Thoughts and prayers go out to her for a speedy recovery.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is truly a sad story, I hope your niece has a speedy recovery with minimal scarring.

Just curious, how old is the dog? I am assuming that the dog was not a puppy?

Prayers sent for your niece.
I'm not sure how old the dog was. I didn't even know they had a dog until this happen.

I appreciate all the kind thoughts and comments. Unlike another site, that wanted to lay blame on the parents for this. One guy even blame me for not warning my nephew, even though I knew nothing about them even having a dog. Laying blame doesn't help, and only furthers the agony of the parents. I know my nephew, and I know he is blaming himself. He don't need me laying more guilt on him by pointing out some things. I'm sure he has learned a valuable lesson and will only grow from this. It's very unfortunate and tragic that his little girl may by scarred from this. Let's pray that she will not.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I am sorry Terry. We will keep her in our prayers.

I am sure emotions are rampant in the family, but everyone knows what each person is doing is for the best of the little girl. :hi:

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
I'm not sure how old the dog was. I didn't even know they had a dog until this happen.

I appreciate all the kind thoughts and comments. Unlike another site, that wanted to lay blame on the parents for this. One guy even blame me for not warning my nephew, even though I knew nothing about them even having a dog. Laying blame doesn't help, and only furthers the agony of the parents. I know my nephew, and I know he is blaming himself. He don't need me laying more guilt on him by pointing out some things. I'm sure he has learned a valuable lesson and will only grow from this. It's very unfortunate and tragic that his little girl may by scarred from this. Let's pray that she will not.
There is nothing more precious than our children. It breaks my heart to see something like this, and I know the parents must be devastated. We do our best, but sometimes bad things happen. I hope they won't keep blaming themselves. Our prayers are with them.

We have always acquired our dogs as puppies (Boston Terriers, they are wonderful with children) and raised them with the kids and grand kids. They seem to regard the kids as litter mates and we've never had a problem. Although we don't keep our grand kids any more, out Boston (Lucy) still has to sleep with them when they come for a visit and spend the night.

I know it's not much comfort, but your Nephew is not alone; this sort of thing happens all the time, and often with much more drastic results. My ex secretary has a brother who is a plastic surgeon. He said that a major part of his practice consists of reattaching ears and noses of children who have been attacked by dogs, usually the larger breeds.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts