Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple of "nifty" switches on ebay. Red translucent toggles. Tiny neon light inside that lights when "ON"
This year I finally installed lights in my pole barn at the farm (only gone without lights for 20 years). So I went the whole nine yards and installed some outside lights too.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,302 Posts
You can find those same switches that light up when they're off as well. That's handy when you're in a dark room looking for the light switch. I've even seen a version of them that stay lit up on or off.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You can find those same switches that light up when they're off as well. That's handy when you're in a dark room looking for the light switch. I've even seen them stay lit up on or off.
That was my thought!! :bigthumb:

Even better would be LED that are red when off,,,, green when on,,,, :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can find those same switches that light up when they're off as well. That's handy when you're in a dark room looking for the light switch. I've even seen a version of them that stay lit up on or off.
I put one of the lit when off type right by the walk door for the lights in that section to make it easy to see when first unlocking the barn. For the outside lights I wanted only lit when the lights are ON so I know they are ON and can make sure they are OFF when I leave. Other wise I might not notice if someone else turns them ON (think small children) during daytime if missed, there are times I do not go to farm for several days at a time.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my thought!! :bigthumb:

Even better would be LED that are red when off,,,, green when on,,,, :dunno:
I would want green when OFF and red when ON to warn me they are ON. The ones I bought are "old school" with neon pilot lights, not LEDS

·
Registered
144 Posts
I installed several of these on my "hidden" lights as well. Nice on closet, hallway, pantry, parts room, leantoo, outside light switches (yep-have all of those with each one seemingly left on at least once in the last year and the outside lights are the halogen high wattage lights with several on each switch). You can wire it so the light is on all the time or you wire it so it is on only with the light on (you rotate the power leads to the other screw). It only will work if you have a common wire in the box. Since I do have two switches with only a two wire as a traveler wire it doesn't work on two of them. I can pull a romex cable down one but not the other. Without a common it doesn't do good.

My question is how do you do this with a 3 way or 4 way switch? Parents would REALLY light to do this on their garage.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed several of these on my "hidden" lights as well. Nice on closet, hallway, pantry, parts room, leantoo, outside light switches (yep-have all of those with each one seemingly left on at least once in the last year and the outside lights are the halogen high wattage lights with several on each switch). You can wire it so the light is on all the time or you wire it so it is on only with the light on (you rotate the power leads to the other screw). It only will work if you have a common wire in the box. Since I do have two switches with only a two wire as a traveler wire it doesn't work on two of them. I can pull a romex cable down one but not the other. Without a common it doesn't do good.

My question is how do you do this with a 3 way or 4 way switch? Parents would REALLY light to do this on their garage.
There are 3 way switches with pilot lights, I am not aware of 4 way with pilot lights. You need BOTH the white neutral and "load" wire. One 3 way switch will have the "load" wire at the switch, it will just need a neutral.

·
Administrator
17,128 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,965 Posts

Why not a 3 way motion switch for your parents . SIL had these in one of the houses ,for the kids never turning the lights off. If I remember correctly light came on with movement in the room or push the tab on switch and light would stay on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts