Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Deere 3520 with a Normand N74 Hybrid blower on the 3 point. I've been reading about shock failures of 3 point hitch parts while motoring down the highway and hitting pot holes or bumps. I understand the fix would be to add a shock absorber of sorts in the hydraulic system. A nitrogen accumulator can be used to mitigate the shock failures. I know the theory of nitrogen accumulators, What I need are specifics like manufacturer part numbers, where to T into the hydraulic system, hydraulic schematics, sizing requirements, mounting locations and success stories. So, anyone out there done this before?

Reactions: 62Impala

·
Administrator
18,751 Posts
I've seen them on larger loaders, Deere even offers one for the 5-series and up. Never seen one on a 3PH though, and not sure where you would plumb it in to be effective, maybe into the PB line? That's a hardline on the rear that could be Tee'd into easily if you don't already have the PB kit installed. You'd have to study the hydraulic flow chart in the tech manual very carefully.

The John Deere LSS:

PS : Moving to the Hydraulic Forum, this does not belong in the "Forum Help & Suggestions" forum.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
I have on my 2038r front three point have never seen one for the rear three point. I have not heard of any failures because of it either. I am sure you have found some but I don’t think it is a common problem.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I've seen them on larger loaders, Deere even offers one for the 5-series and up. Never seen one on a 3PH though, and not sure where you would plumb it in to be effective, maybe into the PB line? That's a hardline on the rear that could be Tee'd into easily if you don't already have the PB kit installed. You'd have to study the hydraulic flow chart in the tech manual very carefully.

The John Deere LSS:

PS : Moving to the Hydraulic Forum, this does not belong in the "Forum Help & Suggestions" forum.
Having them on a forklift, you would need the device between the up portion of the valve and the internal cylinder to make it do what you want. Not sure if that all is internal on the transaxle or not. Either way it is only Teed into that portion of the circuit.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,751 Posts
Right, so tee'ing onto the the PB line would be ineffective, it would have to be between the valve and the cylinder and that's all internal.

Reactions: Ray_PA

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have seen a guy on you tube with a few 4 series and Pronovost cyclones (similar to you blower). I believe he talks about accumulators on his tractors or someone that he knows. His company is Nick's mow and snow, I think?

From what I see they work well for guys that transport their rigs down the road at higher speeds with heavy loads on the three point. I have also seen these used on a loader for round and big square bales. Picking them up out of the fields and moving them quickly across the uneven terrain.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Right, so tee'ing onto the the PB line would be ineffective, it would have to be between the valve and the cylinder and that's all internal.
Perhaps on larger units, they have a T plumbed into the case with a simple plug in the port. Who knows, maybe they all do. Would be easy, but I am sure it would cut into the bottom line and bean counters nixed it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've come across a product called Hydraulink. It is an air over hydraulics top link that acts as a shock absorber without the use of tractor hydraulics. I can't find any information more recent than 2010. Seems a Cat2 version is sold by Northern Tool. I need a Cat1 version, but they may be out of business. Anyone out there know about this product.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I've come across a product called Hydraulink. It is an air over hydraulics top link that acts as a shock absorber without the use of tractor hydraulics. I can't find any information more recent than 2010. Seems a Cat2 version is sold by Northern Tool. I need a Cat1 version, but they may be out of business. Anyone out there know about this product.
It looks as though they are a New Zealand company. May or may not be the right one. Wrote to them to find out. Correct spelling and all, but like acronyms these days, may not mean much to the question at hand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kenny. You are correct about the placement for the accumulator for the lifting arms... inaccessible on the 3X20. I was thinking about installing a hydraulic top link (maybe top and tilt) and placing an accumulator in the retracting hose of the top cylinder. That would allow the load to pivot around the lifting arm pins providing some protection. An isolation valve between the cylinder and accumulator would allow me to remove the affects of the accumulator from the system for more positive positioning and stability. Sketch 1 is basically the Hydraulink. Sketch 2 is what I'm thinking of doing.

·
Administrator
18,751 Posts
That would work well MBJ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mbj I am in the same boat as you with trying to find a solution for hanging a snow blower. Without breaking the hitch.lve seen accumulators on the back of the 4000 series, in Canada. Green tech John deere has them. Contractor's in Canada use them for there blowers. I'm trying to contact them l will let you know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snow rush:
If your lower hitch arm cylinders are internal (like mine in the 3520 and other 3000 series Deeres), the best you can hope for is to add shock absorption to the top link. The options are to add a Hydraulink or add a hydraulic top link cylinder with an attached accumulator. The cylinder and accumulator are not attached to the system hydraulics, they are basically an expensive version of the Hydraulink. The 2nd option gives you the flexibility of having an adjustable top link when the blower is removed and the cylinder is attached to the system hydraulics. Of course you could also add the tilt cylinder to the system and have top and tilt functions when the blower is not attached. The unknowns are the size of the accumulator and the nitrogen charge needed for the volume of the cylinder, accumulator and weight of the blower. Charging the accumulator requires a specialized adapter/fill kit(another one time expense).

It appears the Hydraulink is available from Northern Tool in CAT 2 size only. I've contacted a distributor and the owner (as best as I can tell) without any response. Since I cannot talk to anyone who wants to sell me one, I certainly don't expect to be able to talk to anyone should the need arise or get any sort of warranty issue resolved. I choose not to do business with companies who do not provide any customer interface.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just completed installing a hydraulic accumulator on the 4520 . This is a world of differences for the tractor. So you can tap in at the on the driver side of the hitch on top side thre is a plug. Just below the pressure relief valve. We used a piston accumulator . Call green tech form Canada ,the carp store. Going to put one on all of the tractors that we use for snow. Hope this helps you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,751 Posts
Pictures?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just completed installing a hydraulic accumulator on the 4520 . This is a world of differences for the tractor. So you can tap in at the on the driver side of the hitch on top side thre is a plug. Just below the pressure relief valve. We used a piston accumulator . Call green tech form Canada ,the carp store. Going to put one on all of the tractors that we use for snow. Hope this helps you

I'd like to see some pictures. Why a piston accumulator rather than diaphragm? What size, make, model of accumulator? What was the total cost to install?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures. Why a piston accumulator rather than diaphragm? What size, make, model of accumulator? What was the total cost to install?
Got the parts through John deere, around $550.00 for the kit.does not come charged. Dont know why the reason for piston. 950 psi nitrogen. Works great.holds the road nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 1st pic is of a 4520 schematic with the HPRV and Plug highlighted. The 2nd pic is of my 3520 schematic with the same parts highlighted. They share the same part numbers. The plug for the 3520 is on the right side of the housing, whereas the plug for the 4520 is on the left(driver's) side. If this is correct, those of us with tractors with internal rockshaft pistons now have a place to tap into the hydraulics for installation of an accumulator.

Reactions: Zebrafive
1 - 20 of 32 Posts