Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to mount a 3rd function valve on loader mast. Area I need to do it is boxed out, any ideas on how? Metal is 1/4 inch thick, too thin to drill and tap? Do they make a strong toggle nut like you use on sheet rock?
Any ideas out there.
Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think you will be fine by drilling and taping. The 0.25" thickness is fine for what you are wanting to do. I would skip the toggle bolt idea and just drill\tap. Also, could you make a plate to mount the valve to and clamp onto the mast? That way, you will not be weakening the mast by drilling into it, but if you think the mast strong enough, just drill and tap it.

Photos would be helpful to the rest of us, to help you make a decision.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Clamp

Need to mount a 3rd function valve on loader mast. Area I need to do it is boxed out, any ideas on how? Metal is 1/4 inch thick, too thin to drill and tap? Do they make a strong toggle nut like you use on sheet rock?
Any ideas out there.
Thanks
I clamped my valve just because I dislike drilling structural members. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't like to do it. So far, my clamp rig has been fine.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
I agree 1/4" should be enough for drill/tap.

Another option; rivet nut inserts. I would use the steel versions, not the aluminum versions.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some looking last night, like the rivnuts as well, just got to find them. The mast is just shy if 1/4” think still safe to tap.
? (.204”) like clamp idea but loader stand in the way...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,069 Posts
I did some looking last night, like the rivnuts as well, just got to find them. The mast is just shy if 1/4” think still safe to tap.
A fine thread tap and bolt would be the ticket.

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
For steel rivet nuts, try www.mcmaster.com

Here are some P/N:

90720A490 5/16-18 10/$6.10
95105A155 5/15-18 10/$6.24

Or if you want to stay metric

95105A195 M8-1.25 10/$6.29

There are many other choices, I went by the thickness you want to install in.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That link is going to a tailgate assist shock. :dunno:
That kit includes the blind nut, and installation tool for the blind nut.
The tailgate shock is a throw away,,,

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
That kit includes the blind nut, and installation tool for the blind nut.
The tailgate shock is a throw away,,,
Why not just buy a blind nut/rivet nut.... plenty of them on the internet.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I drilled and tapped my loader arm 3 years ago for my diverter. I figured if it became an issue I'd fix it and post that it was a bad move.

I've broken the welds on the horns of the loader arms (where the bottom mount hinges are), and there's no evidence of cracks where I drilled/tapped. I just used 1/4-20 bolts for my diverter. It's a light load and my loader arms are thinner than 1/4".

The factory hose brackets use nut-serts, and their holes are far larger than the .25" major diameter of the 1/4-20.

You could also epoxy a tab bolt onto the loader and use a nut to retain the valve. I think we over-think these more often than not. The nut-sert's the factory use is for expedience, not fear of cracking IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
You can also buy magnets with unbelievable "LB" ratings.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Rivnuts are great. We used quite a few on my friends van he converted to an RV.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
follow up

OK thanks for reply's I try to follow up on posts, as you all will know the results as we all like hear about them.
I ended up mounting it bit higher than I wanted, more exposure than I wanted, but was able (Just barely) to get 2 screws and nuts on the block.
The rivnuts which was a great idea, I did not use this time, but A) I did not know existed, (until this post) and B) will keep in mind for future projects.
drill and tapping should work, but thickness to mast and how hydro hoses flex when in use made me nervous.
IMG_0889.jpg

again sorry about sideways....how do you fix this, drives me nuts.....
IMG_0890.jpg

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
Looking good FDMars :good2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Any ideas out there.
Thanks

Hope I'm not late to the party, But they make I believe what I call a nut rivet, It is for frame mounts. where You can't get to the other side for the nut and they work very well, JUST A THOUGHT, I believe Fastenal cares them or I'm sure You can acquire them on line?

Good luck,

waltmart

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hope I'm not late to the party, But they make I believe what I call a nut rivet, It is for frame mounts. where You can't get to the other side for the nut and they work very well, JUST A THOUGHT, I believe Fastenal cares them or I'm sure You can acquire them on line?

Good luck,

waltmart
Here is the website just looked it up
Rivet Nuts | Rivet Nuts & Threaded Inserts

1 - 20 of 20 Posts