Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the brakes on my John Deere LA105. I replaced the brake pads and adjusted them all the way in but that didn't do anything to remedy the situation. Are these brakes strictly mechanical? What do I do next?

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
I lost the brakes on my John Deere LA105. I replaced the brake pads and adjusted them all the way in but that didn't do anything to remedy the situation. Are these brakes strictly mechanical? What do I do next?
Yes, the brakes are mechanical. Do you have NO brakes or POOR brakes? Did installing new pads help at all? Were you able to confirm that the linkage is all working such that when the pedal is pressed it is applying pressure to the brake disc on the side of the transmission?

My brother has a problem with his LA105 brakes in that there is a small leak that keeps making the pads oily. So if he replaces the pads he has brakes for about a week and then looses them again. Your problem sounds different.

Below is the parts diagram for the pads and brake disc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yes, the brakes are mechanical. Do you have NO brakes or POOR brakes? Did installing new pads help at all? Were you able to confirm that the linkage is all working such that when the pedal is pressed it is applying pressure to the brake disc on the side of the transmission?

My brother has a problem with his LA105 brakes in that there is a small leak that keeps making the pads oily. So if he replaces the pads he has brakes for about a week and then looses them again. Your problem sounds different.

The trans is grease packed. Common for the shaft at the brake disk to leak and soak the pads with yack. You can remove and clean the pads with brake cleaner. Clean the disk and reinstall. Adjust as needed.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not oil or grease

The trans is grease packed. Common for the shaft at the brake disk to leak and soak the pads with yack. You can remove and clean the pads with brake cleaner. Clean the disk and reinstall. Adjust as needed.

Nope everythiing is clean, no oil or grease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No brakes at all

No brakes at all. I took it apart cleaned everything, tried tightening the middle adjustment bolt all the way and nothing. No brakes at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Video

I would attach a video of me pressing the foot pedal, but its too large of a file. The footpedal and linkage work the linkage goes back and forth but no brakes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looking at the parts catalog page(s), I can't comprehend how the brake disc, item 7, is held onto the shaft. Perhaps a pin or setscrew fell out or a key sheared.

Jack tractor and put on jack stands. Turn rear wheel and see if brake disc rotates. Then have some press brake pedal and see if brake disc stops rotating. Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured it out

Looking at the parts catalog page(s), I can't comprehend how the brake disc, item 7, is held onto the shaft. Perhaps a pin or setscrew fell out or a key sheared.

Jack tractor and put on jack stands. Turn rear wheel and see if brake disc rotates. Then have some press brake pedal and see if brake disc stops rotating. Bob
You hit the nail on the head. The inside of the disk is stripped. it just spins.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts

I agree, Deere is famous for using keys for holding on the drive wheels on some entry level machines and when the key breaks or falls out, the drive wheel stops spinning. It would hold with the logic that the brake rotor is held on with a key in a machines keyway on the shaft and the key has sheared off or fallen out. Either way, it would allow the brake pads to compress the rotor, but since the rotor isn't attached to the shaft, the result would be no brakes. Whether its a key or a set screw, it almost has to be the rotor isn't attached to the shaft if everything else is actually working as designed.

Not much else it could be. Very simple.........The caliper compresses the brake pads, the brake pads squeeze the brake rotor, if all of that is happening and there are no brakes, then it has to be the rotor isn't attached to the shaft therefore the application of the pads to the rotor achieve nothing in braking assistance because the brakes only stop the rotor if the rotor is attached to the shaft.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
JD Parts is showing the brake disc (#7) as no longer available.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
JD Parts is showing the brake disc (#7) as no longer available.
No question that some of the used part seller would have this part. I would search the internet for the guys who buy the tractors and part them out. There are many out there and maybe even one in the area of the OP.

I visited one to buy a new Floor Pan for my 455 and I was impressed with the way they had everything bar coded and inventoried on line. In this day and age, its how you have to operate to be efficient.

In fact I just looked quickly and there appear to be some NOS parts on Ebay for sale.....and used ones.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
No question that some of the used part seller would have this part. I would search the internet for the guys who buy the tractors and part them out. There are many out there and maybe even one in the area of the OP.

I visited one to buy a new Floor Pan for my 455 and I was impressed with the way they had everything bar coded and inventoried on line. In this day and age, its how you have to operate to be efficient.

In fact I just looked quickly and there appear to be some NOS parts on Ebay for sale.....and used ones.
Hmmm... I didn't have as much luck. I tried searching Google and Ebay for the brake disc (MIU10949) and came up empty. There were lots of other brake disc and misc. parts but nothing for the LA105.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The brake disk is splined on to the brake shaft. I would make sure it's just the disk and not both the shaft and or disk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts