Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Interesting - but how does it hook to the bottom pin of the JDQA?

If you look at the video around the 2:00 mark, he's attaching it to the JDQA, but it doesn't look like the bottom pins in anywhere. I hope I'm missing something.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Watch the video at the bottom of the page. It does attach to the lower pins. Neat attachment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had one for about 45 days or so the cost was around 1350 like most things it has its limitations. I have used it for brush clearing to moving downed trees and branches takes a little getting used to but for about the cost of adding the extra set of hydraulics does a good job. And it attaches just like the bucket or forks.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I like it!!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
This is a cool attachment. Well thought out. Got me thinking....

·
Registered
634 Posts
Very interesting design, I also like it. It would be ideal for the smaller tractors since the attachment doesn't weigh very much.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That looks really impressive. I wouldn't mind having one of those. That would make the firewood situation a lot easier and the log piling too. Please keep us updated with how you like it.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
vt2305 - THANKS for pointing out that other video. I didn't see it.

Here's a review from an end user...
Looks like Westendorf improved them with the Cross Bar. With that Improvement I Might consider a set now. They Have had the Brush Crusher out for a few Years Now. A farmer down the road from Me has a set for a Year or so I think it's a BC 500 Model :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
22,711 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
vt2305 - THANKS for pointing out that other video. I didn't see it.

Here's a review from an end user...
Looks like Westendorf improved them with the Cross Bar. With that Improvement I Might consider a set now. They Have had the Brush Crusher out for a few Years Now. A farmer down the road from Me has a set for a Year or so I think it's a BC 500 Model
This seems like a better design with the crossbar. Watching the first video, I don't understand how over time the small factory rod that spans between the quick attachments on the loader wouldn't get bent when picking up tapered loads. With the crossbar, the cylinders stay matched, and I would think that the small factory bar that spans between them would be much less likely to be twisted out of straight.

·
Administrator
17,974 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree with that, one thing I noticed is the lift height is severely limited, and its design forces the load to be carried higher. I could see it being very touch and go if your property is uneven or steep. Being able to roll a traditional grapple up and carry the load lower is a huge advantage.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree with that, one thing I noticed is the lift height is severely limited, and its design forces the load to be carried higher. I could see it being very touch and go if your property is uneven or steep. Being able to roll a traditional grapple up and carry the load lower is a huge advantage.
I dig, scoop, wrench and pry with my grapple... I also like nay, need to have fine enough control over it to pick one branch/log from a pile of them, or from some brush. Alternatively I also like to go into a log pile and grab as many as I can. A hydraulic grapple is the only way I can go that-the Westendorf can’t do many of those functions.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade..... it looks like a well built brush grapple that uses the curl function to close the jaws. Ingenious no doubt, but very limited in its versatility. I am sure there are folks on a limited budget who have a use for such an attachment, and it will serve them well understanding its limited capabilities.... I would love to do a side-by-side comparison to a hydraulically-operated grapple to demonstrate the pros and cons of each. That would be an interesting comparison.

Kudos to the Westindorf team for their ingenuity at providing a low-cost solution!

For my use, the EA 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple is the standard that its competitors need to beat!

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
9,144 Posts
Has anyone tried the Brush Crusher BC-4200 and what did you think of it?
I looked at these at the 2018 NFMS in Louisville.

I already have the Cadillac of grapples, and Artillian Grapple.

I was considering having one made to fit on my 375A backhoe to tear apart a beaver damn. The plan was to use the bucket curl to actuate the grapple action.

I am closer to having tractor access to the old beaver damn. If I ever get there, I might follow through with the plan.

As a simple grapple for occasional use they might be a pretty handy solution, especially if they have added some engineering to prevent twisting the loader frame.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts