Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A request for advice from the GTT braintrust:

So I wanted to change the hydraulic fluid on my tractor. It has 310 hours on it now, and according to records that came with it, the first change was done by the prior owner at 63 hours. The machine appears to have been well maintained and everything worked as it should - until now, that is. I felt pretty confident that I could handle the task with no problem since I'd done it before on my former x485 and scoped the procedure out a bit in forums here. I went to my dealership and told the parts guy I needed the supplies to change the hydraulic fluid in my 2025r. He set me up with low-vis deere fluid and a new suction screen. Thinking he knew what I needed better than I did, I walked out without a canister filter or the red dye for the fluid. My first mistake...
Everything seemed to go smoothly getting the old fluid out and the new screen in. There were very few metal shavings inside so I was happy about that.
Shavings.JPG
It was probably 15 minutes that I let it drain before putting things back together and refilling. After over-filling it by about two quarts since it takes FOREVER for the sight glass to register the level of fluid (even after reading about the problems turtle had with his :banghead:) I siphoned it off to get to the correct level of new fluid.
Refilled.JPG
Thinking I'm good to go, I fired it up and all seemed normal until I went to operate the loader and 3-pt. No worky, worky!!! Nothing. Zilch. Nada. :confused: Ran it at idle for 10 minutes and the sight glass sloooowwwwllly filled up while it was idling. Still no lift front or back. Did not try the steering or PTO. Honestly I was a bit worried about doing damage while running it with no fluid pressure.
After reading more about it online and re-reading the manual (where I discovered the missing canister filter) I'm at a loss for what might be the problem. Today I went and got the canister filter that I should have gotten at first, and I guess I'll keep the suction screen that I didn't need to get, and tonight I'll drain it all again and start over. While it was at the dealer I told the service manager this whole story, and he said to double check that I didn't put the suction screen in backwards so I'll do that while I'm at it tonight. Other than that, I'm clueless. I'll be much obliged for any advice you all can provide on what might be the problem, and if there is any more info you need just let me know.

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
On the 1-series, operating the PTO seems to get everything going again and help purge the air out, I'd suggest trying that.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Are you certain you got the screen in the right way? Not really sure if it will go together if the screen is in backwards but it may.

Why did you buy a new screen?
Did you reinstall the magnets in the new screen?
Did you install a new O-Ring on the screen cover? Just curious here.

Edit:
Oil level should be check with engine off for at least an hour.
Oil level will normally show fuller when tractor is running and especially when the oil is hot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Feeling pretty dumb right now

Are you certain you got the screen in the right way? Not really sure if it will go together if the screen is in backwards but it may.

Why did you buy a new screen?
Did you reinstall the magnets in the new screen?
Did you install a new O-Ring on the screen cover? Just curious here.

Edit:
Oil level should be check with engine off for at least an hour.
Oil level will normally show fuller when tractor is running and especially when the oil is hot.
Well for anyone who ever wondered if the the suction screen will go in the wrong way (probably no one) I can now confirm for you that, YES, it will go in the wrong way. Unfortunately I had proof of this in my garage...

Last night I got it all taken apart and drained again. When I pulled the cover on the suction screen the culprit was revealed. The rubber fitting was staring at me instead of lining up with the port on the pump inside.

Put it all back together, with the canister filter this time, and the suction screen in the correct way, and we are back in business.

To answer your questions:
1. I bought a suction screen per the parts guy's recommendation. Bad info I now know. He's the same guy that didn't sell me the spin-on canister filter either. But hey, he got me the right fluid! I should have double checked what I was buying.
2. The new screen had magnets with it and I did install them spread around inside the screen.
3. No new O-ring. I didn't have one last night and the existing one looked to be like new. Hope I don't regret this...

Lessons learned:
1. Don't just tell a parts guy what I plan to do and assume he'll get the right materials. Always know what I need and be specific with my order.
2. Remember this tractor is a bit more complicated than my x-series was (I miss the maintenance kits that I always got). So, to quote a famous horseman, "take the time it takes, so it'll take less time". Doing it right the first time would have been much faster.
3. A $5 siphon tube is a great investment.

In the end my mistake cost me a gallon of fluid and a suction screen I didn't need, an extra day of down time on my machine, plus a bit of embarrassment. Still better than the $250 that the dealer quoted for doing the job for me.

Carry on, Gents, and may your lawns be green and your driveways clean!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not an embarrassment as much as a lesson learned that will eventually help someone else.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
1. Don't just tell a parts guy what I plan to do and assume he'll get the right materials. Always know what I need and be specific with my order.
This is the excellent advice that applies to everything, not just tractors.

Thank you for following up and letting us know what the resolution was.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Glad things worked out for you. This happens to everybody sometime in life.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Well for anyone who ever wondered if the the suction screen will go in the wrong way (probably no one) I can now confirm for you that, YES, it will go in the wrong way. Unfortunately I had proof of this in my garage...
Thanks for the followup.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Don't sweat it, it happens. If it was your first time doing that particular task and you are doing it without someone to teach you or having a very clear and concise manual then you have to expect to do some re-work. I can't even begin to fathom the amount of times I have installed parts in wrong the first time I do a task, even after looking at a manual. Sometimes you just have to do stuff a couple of times before you get the hang of it. That's just a part of life. I am happy you shared this though so maybe someone else may be able to learn from your experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts