Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm going to have to end up doing something like this, I just hate giving up the bed space on the truck.

Nice! Did you buy it new or used?
My brother bought a new black unit to match his new black truck and was nice enough to pass this one off to me. His new black one we did for about $1100 all said and done.

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
I'm heading up to Tractor Supply tomorrow to pick up a 50 gallon diesel tank. I figure I can put in on a pallet, run and fill it up and then use the loader + forks to unload out of the bed of the truck.

Now I just need to figure out what I want for a pump. (It's always something, right?)

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
I'm heading up to Tractor Supply tomorrow to pick up a 50 gallon diesel tank. I figure I can put in on a pallet, run and fill it up and then use the loader + forks to unload out of the bed of the truck.

Now I just need to figure out what I want for a pump. (It's always something, right?)
Took a ride out late this afternoon to fill four containers with off-road diesel. Was half frozen by the time I finished Standing out in the open with the wind blasting me was brutal. On the way home was actually thinking about alternative fuel storage as well. My only problem is I neither have a pickup, nor do I have a set of forks. Was looking at a 2016 F150 King Ranch in Gem Green the other day.............then I'd have to hit Artillian up. Somebody please slap me.:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
Took a ride out late this afternoon to fill four containers with off-road diesel. Was half frozen by the time I finished Standing out in the open with the wind blasting me was brutal. On the way home was actually thinking about alternative fuel storage as well. My only problem is I neither have a pickup, nor do I have a set of forks. Was looking at a 2016 F150 King Ranch in Gem Green the other day.............then I'd have to hit Artillian up. Somebody please slap me.:banghead:
Do you have a vehicle you can tow with? If so, get one of those cheap little trailers from Harbor Freight, plop a tank on it and call it done. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I use one of these.

Roughneck HD UL Listed Fuel Caddy — 30-Gallon Capacity | Fuel Caddies| Northern Tool + Equipment

I haven't used it much but one thing nice about it is you turn the pump one way and it dispenses fuel, turn it the other way and it draws it out of a fuel tank. That came in handy when I needed to pull the fuel tank on my X585 when I was installing all the hardware for the FEL. Used it a few times on the motorcycles as well.

It is enough fuel for me to normally last me all winter. That is where it sucks the most having to run out with gas cans to the gas station. Then in the nicer months I wheel it up on the trailer.

I don't use it for diesel as all my stuff is gas but I have seen people paint these yellow for diesel use.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Do you have a vehicle you can tow with? If so, get one of those cheap little trailers from Harbor Freight, plop a tank on it and call it done. :laugh:
Oh sure. I have a trailer hitch on my Lincoln Navigator L. Guess I could purchase one of those puny little trailers they make especially for the Chevy & GMC guys......

Chevy Truck towing.jpg :laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
I don't want to get off topic but I don't think towing fuel on a trailer is legal in all states. I'm like the previous poster, I don't have a pickup.

For gasoline I fill 5-gallon cans and then reverse-pump them into a Northern Tool Roughneck 30-gallon caddy. I usually keep 10-20 gallons on hand depending on the time of year. This gives me fuel for the garden tractor, small engines and the generator.

Roughneck.jpg

For the 2720 I popped for one of the Flo-Fast units. I swap the pump handle back and forth between two 7 1/2 gallon containers. The containers are easy to fill and carry. It allows me to keep as much as 15 gallons of diesel on hand if needed which for the 2720 is about 20 hours of operation.

IMG_1563.jpg

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
superglidersport; aah-helm, that was so funny!!:flag_of_truce::lolol:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I hope that little trailer can handle 800 pounds,,, :dunno:

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
Frank, be careful about saying you don't have forks. There are a couple guys on here that will accuse you of all sorts of things, including, but not limited to driving a pink Prius. :laugh:

I know this is about fuel, but the Green Gem King Ranch combination sounds nice. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Frank, be careful about saying you don't have forks. I know this is about fuel, but the Green Gem King Ranch combination sounds nice. :thumbup1gif:
There was a time when I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat but I'm pretty much tapped-out helping the kids and grandkids right now. :banghead:

F150 King Ranch.png F150 Left.png F150 KR Interior.png

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
There was a time when I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat but I'm pretty much tapped-out helping the kids and grandkids right now. :banghead:
Oh man - that thing is just beautiful! If I ever had to get a new truck it would probably be a King Ranch - and I just love that color. Problem is in all my years I've never seen a King Ranch in person....

Back on topic - I am so happy with my fuel setup. Firstly I just can't lift the 5 gal jugs anymore either when filling them or lifting them up to fill the tractor. The next obvious solution would be to do like some have suggested here and strap a decent size tank to a pallet but the problem with that is there is no place to buy off-road diesel around here anymore.

I was very fortunate that I had a 150 gal tank with hand pump given to me some years ago. Now I just get 75 gal put in it every other year when I get my home heating fuel delivery.

P1020961.jpg

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I was very fortunate that I had a 150 gal tank with hand pump given to me some years ago. Now I just get 75 gal put in it every other year when I get my home heating fuel delivery.
So do they fill your tractor tank with heating fuel or off road diesel? They can be pretty close but not always are the same.

Diesel vs Home Heating Fuel

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use home heating oil in my 1026R, dealer said it was fine since Pa. has dropped down to 500 parts sulfur per million, it used to be 1200-1500 parts per million. The low sulfur or Tier 4 is considered 15 parts sulfur per million but as I stated my dealer said it would not void the warranty to use the lower home heating oil in the 1026R. So since I added a oil furnace to my garage, I decided to get a 12 pump for my tank and when I have heating oil delivered I have him fill this tank also, really saves hauling gas cans and it don't have the road tax on it.:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
So do they fill your tractor tank with heating fuel or off road diesel? They can be pretty close but not always are the same.

Diesel vs Home Heating Fuel
They are the same here - I verified. The same truck filled both tanks but with a different sales slip. Home heating fuel was 15¢ more than the tractor fuel but with no tax. Tractor fuel was 15¢ less but when you added the sales tax the price was the same.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Anyone here use those 2-300 gallon gravity tanks and have them filled by a distributor? Was thinking of going that route, but not sure how sustainable diesel is relative to gasoline (which isn't very good for long-term storage these days).

And I'm already equipped with a gem green King Ranch :laugh:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wish I could accept the loss of space in my truck for a tank but I am still using 5 gal containers and a filter F8 filter to strain water and particles. It is a real pain when I can go through 25 to 30 gal a day with the mulcher. Having to lift and pour that fuel at the end of the day is not real fun.

Reactions: Levi
1 - 20 of 24 Posts