Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to do a $300+ order and there's no longer a option or link to PayPal... Had to go "elsewhere".

?????????

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Where were you trying to order from??:dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Paypal started out as a way to send money individual to individual, and for that it was great. Outside of those limitations, I don't see the point in using them for anything.

Visa, MasterCard, and AmEx all have buyer protections and dispute resolution services (via a chargeback if you didn't get what you bought). Paypal has nothing to offer the consumer that isn't better somewhere else.

Paypal has a decent web-integration plugin for ecommerce, and I can see why a business would use them for their merchant account tools. As a consumer it has zero impact on anyone unless you're like me and boycott them for their anti-2A stance (among other reasons I won't get into).

So in light of that, why would you care if they don't use Paypal anymore?

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
I would assume Green Farm Parts since this is their forum ;)
I'd agree Kenny, I had a problem trying to use PayPal with them the other day too. But I just chose regular checkout with the same card and BAM, my order is on its way. Guess some just give up to easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
I like PayPal. Only have to remember username and password, plus it fills out the address for me.:munch:

This is the reason why I prefer PayPal.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I like Paypal as well.
A lot of times i sell stuff and receive Paypal.
I keep that balance with them so i can buy other stuff that i don't need.:lol:
That is one of the reasons I like to use paypal also. Plus it is just convenient.

I was just at the Green Farm Parts Site. The PayPal option was there for me.

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
That is one of the reasons I like to use paypal also. Plus it is just convenient.

I was just at the Green Farm Parts Site. The PayPal option was there for me.
PayPal option was there for me too earlier in the week. It just kept rejecting it through PayPal option.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gave up too easily? Don't think so.

Yeah, it was Green Farm Parts so I posted it here and not BXpanded. I must not have enough "sticktoitivness" since I tried only 3 times refilling the form and order. The place where name, address, etc., had no label as to what was supposed to go in the box. Hard to guess where phone # went where...

Gave up PayPal after the 3rd fail and got out my Visa card... No joy there either, wouldn't keep the data and kept disappearing all my order cart list even with my billion dollar credit line.:laugh:

Regardless of the semantics regarding the worth of PayPal in this modern world, I use it because it is easy on my squinty aging eyes and like other's said PW and Email and I'm in. Do some of you store your CC # hidden somewhere in your computer for "copy/paste"? I doubt that's such a good idea with all the cyber peeking going on.

Perhaps some 9 year old was messing around on GFP web site. I have had VERY, VERY GOOD service with GFP in the past and will try 'em again next time, I simply have to get my GX running as soon as possible :mocking:since the 1026 is off in Dealer Land...

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
Yeah, it was Green Farm Parts so I posted it here and not BXpanded. I must not have enough "sticktoitivness" since I tried only 3 times refilling the form and order. The place where name, address, etc., had no label as to what was supposed to go in the box. Hard to guess where phone # went where...

Gave up PayPal after the 3rd fail and got out my Visa card... No joy there either, wouldn't keep the data and kept disappearing all my order cart list even with my billion dollar credit line.:laugh:

Regardless of the semantics regarding the worth of PayPal in this modern world, I use it because it is easy on my squinty aging eyes and like other's said PW and Email and I'm in. Do some of you store your CC # hidden somewhere in your computer for "copy/paste"? I doubt that's such a good idea with all the cyber peeking going on.

Perhaps some 9 year old was messing around on GFP web site. I have had VERY, VERY GOOD service with GFP in the past and will try 'em again next time, I simply have to get my GX running as soon as possible :mocking:since the 1026 is off in Dealer Land...
I actually thought maybe it was PayPal, I know in the past they have been hacked and for a couple of days they basically shut down until they find the source of the hack and how much info they got.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I let some vendors store my CC info, and others not. It's a minor pain to enter the 16 digit codes, but it's not a huge issue. Paypal's data breeches and the fact they're linked to bank accounts and not credit accounts is yet another chink in the armor against them. If a CC# gets compromised, I might get declined at a store and that'd be embarrassing.

If my checking account gets compromised, I'm going to have a possible mess with all the linked payments I have set up. The bank will fix it with me and them, but they won't pay the late fees on the bill-pay's that get missed because there's no money to pay them with.

Then there's the issue of Paypal chargebacks. You have zero recourse against them if they decide you didn't fulfill a transaction. Boom! Money's gone out of your account until resolved (if resolved! But that goes back to my baggage with them). If you get scammed, you're out the cash until it's resolved. I use a different merchant service and they've got my back even if it means paying out damages to the customer (who might be lying out their bottom). I had been using a different bank for my Paypal dealings, and I had to close that account with the bank to keep from having to pay a conman. Paypal admitted it was a fraudulent sale but said I had to return the crap which was delivered (at a cost of $125 postage) before they'd consider letting me off the hook for the $625 transaction. My recourse worked out that I didn't lose $125 bucks, but they jammed up my Paypal and dinged my credit. I haven't used them for anything since, and it's been long enough that the derogatory is off the important part (past 7yrs).

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have my paypal account linked to one credit card only, it happens to be an Amex. Amex has always been good to me with disputed transactions and compromised CC numbers, though I really haven't had any issues with the paypal link.

Paypal keeps asking me to give them my checking account number and tell me that I'm missing out on some benefits ... I just ignore those requests and go on with just the CC. Money goes out and comes in through paypal and shows up on my Amex, and all has been well.

Though we don't use the paypal account very often, as mentioned, it is convenient with just email and password.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
I have my paypal account linked to one credit card only, it happens to be an Amex. Amex has always been good to me with disputed transactions and compromised CC numbers, though I really haven't had any issues with the paypal link.

Paypal keeps asking me to give them my checking account number and tell me that I'm missing out on some benefits ... I just ignore those requests and go on with just the CC. Money goes out and comes in through paypal and shows up on my Amex, and all has been well.

Though we don't use the paypal account very often, as mentioned, it is convenient with just email and password.

Just my 2 cents.
Same here, I would drop PayPal if they ever "required" a checking account. I don't use it often, actually only set it up to do a money transfer on a private sale.

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
I hear from customers sometimes about me using PayPal as my merchant service, and some refuse to purchase because of it or ask if they can send me a check to pay-which is fine. The fact is it's convenient, efficient, and affordable plus and I don't have the time to do a complete web redesign and search out-switch to a new merchant service.

When guy went on a huge political rant about PayPal when the whole "bathroom" issue was in the news-then I saw he was using gmail, I guess he thought Google is some great conservative company :lolol:

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
Same here, I would drop PayPal if they ever "required" a checking account.
You need a linked account if you want to sell things on-line and take CC payments. These days it seems that if you won't accept a CC folks won't even give your item a second glance. I setup a dedicated checking account to be used only for PayPal transactions. It only has a few bucks in it as immediately after I transfer the PayPal money to the dedicated account I then transfer it to the main checking account. It has worked well for me the past 10 years.

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
You need a linked account if you want to sell things on-line and take CC payments. These days it seems that if you won't accept a CC folks won't even give your item a second glance. I setup a dedicated checking account to be used only for PayPal transactions. It only has a few bucks in it as immediately after I transfer the PayPal money to the dedicated account I then transfer it to the main checking account. It has worked well for me the past 10 years.
Not totally, if you don't have an account linked the money just stays on your PayPal account until you use it for a future purchase. I have sold things as well and have never had a checking account linked.

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
Not totally, if you don't have an account linked the money just stays on your PayPal account until you use it for a future purchase. I have sold things as well and have never had a checking account linked.
You are correct. I should have said the account is required IF you want the money for use elsewhere. :)

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
You are correct. I should have said the account is required IF you want the money for use elsewhere. :)
But let me add, I have never sold big dollar items, just some gun stuff, $100 here and there. If I were to sell bigger items I would definitely do exactly what you did and have an account just for that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts