Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is not new but I figured out how to get back in the woods without plowing the snow covered trails. With all this very deep snow in central Wisconsin, I haven’t been able to plow without getting bogged down on my 2032R or my ATV.
It came to me, if I could make it through the woods on the tractor, I could walk on my tire tracks. That worked but it was a bit of a pain (too narrow). Then I thought, maybe if I curled my loader all the way in, I could push the hump between the tracks, over the existing tracks and compact the snow with those big R4s. It worked. The next day I would really get things smoothed out with the drag. There was even enough traction to drag the drag through the woods with my 345 and no chains. The middle of the trail is still a little swishy in spots but it’s no big problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
I do something similar with mine, except I just pack the trail with the tires. I just go wide on the right on the way out, and wide right on the way back. A couple trips down the middle and we are good to go. But, I really like your idea of using the harrow. Something to consider for next year, since mine is currently buried in the snow.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::munch:looks good.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Creative

Nothing like a creative solution to an issue. If you have any hills, that looks like a nice sled track.

You could probably turn a blade around backwards and keep it about half the depth of the snow and back it that way as well.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The deer love the trails and site lines. In fact, I’ve seen them get a little frolicy at times on them. Or maybe it’s because they haven’t had a decent meal in a while. The land is very flat and sandy. Great for growing potatoes especially the kind used for making potato chips.

Since it’s been so cold, the snow is fluffy and you sink right down. I’ll be looking back and if I veer just a little off the trail, I sink right down, get stuck and sometimes have to use the bucket to get out. It’s almost like quicksand. That’s how deep this snow is. So one set of tracks is all you can expect to use/make in this scenario. I do, however, use the 345 tires to compact the soil a bit after I till.

I love that harrow (drag). It smooths out the snow in the winter and the sand in the summer. I hang it from a tree when not in use (double pulley hoist).

Treefarmer, I did turn the blade around and that did work but the bucket curled in worked out best. There are many tighter spots along the trails.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have used an otter sled behind my atv to pack down our trails. Used to use a snowmobile to pack a trail for the atvs. But sold the sleds about 10 years ago because I wasn’t using them. Kinda wish I had a snowmobile this winter as the snowmobile trails are in best condition I have seen in many years.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
That looks great - love trails like that through the woods!

I make trails across the lawn area to my wood shed and pavilion. I usually curl my bucket all the way back kind of like you did. The only problem is this time of year when it starts melting during the day and freezing at night - turns to solid ice where it is packed down like that.

If I could still take a decent walk I would be maintaining my tram road just like you are doing. Nothing like taking a nice walk in the woods in the winter!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Walks in the woods cancelled for today.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So gentlemen, and Farmgirl, I now have these geysers all over the woods including this one where I took the last pic. Are these air pockets in the ground filling up with water as the ground thaws? They’ve been bubbling for at least a couple of hours.

Geyser in the Woods - YouTube

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Now that scene there would make anyone wish for spring - or at least spring like weather.

Nasty - just nasty....
One usually has to suffer through days like this in order to get from winter to spring, no different here in my neck of the woods. I too had some nice trails and we’re currently melting fast with a ton of rain the past 3 days so everything is either muddy or flooded. Best part is that it’s usually brief and makes you appreciate seeing things slowly turn green more when it start to happen.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Now that scene there would make anyone wish for spring - or at least spring like weather.

Nasty - just nasty....
That’s what happens when spring temps and rain come to quickly. In 24 hours I went from having a foot of snow cover to almost nothing. Lucky for me I live on top of a hill. Those that live in the low lands are having a bad day. Lots of flooding going on in Wisconsin now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts